Author Topic: Corsair Respray  (Read 3370 times)

nayld

Corsair Respray
« on: May 20, 2003, 01:59AM »
Hi, I'm BlakeyBoyR's friend with the hideously coloured corsair, both inside (THAT brown colour) and out("cream"). Im going to outline the plan for my redoing of the interior, and I'd like you guys to be objectively critical and tell me if something doesn't work, why and how to do it better, or what to do instead. It would be really appreciated.

Basically I'm getting the carpet redone with this black stuff custom heat treated shipped up from melbourne for $175 including P/H. If you want to see the advertistement it can be found in 'Unique auto' Magazine about three times. Im going to respray my dash black with a spray gun and compressor using gloss black paint, same with the pillars. The doors are going to be revinyled black as is the roof and the parcel shelf around my 6 x 9's. The parcel holder on the front doors will be sprayed black(same paint) and the rest of the door, not vinyled sections, will be covered in chequer plate, the cheap roll stuff from Super cheap auto. The same will be done to both backdoors. I was going to attach the "chequer plate" with pop rivets to the ply board on the back of the doors. For the matts im getting the aluminium chequer plate whihc is $10/kg and is three mm thick so I can bend it of need be. I should be able to do all four mattsfor about $30, and I'm not entirely sure how to attach that, any suggestions? The display will be made blue with blue contact and ill have neons underneath both leg spaces of the front seats (above the black and silver pedals I have to put in). The centre console and window winders/armrests/handles will be sprayed black at the same time. That's all i can think of now, but if you can tell me why any of this wont work, or how to improve it, it would be greatly apprecated. I will be starting this project during the uni holidays.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
Re:Corsair Respray
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 01:33PM »
yo
it all sounds pretty schweet to me... the only things i can suggest are as follows...
1. the floor mats: use the velcro idea. get a packet of velcro stuff (craft stores) and cut four generous bits to stick to the bottom of each mat... this way the mats will stick to the carpet pretty well but are also easily removed... especially for printing ;D
2. the respray of the body (when you get to it :) ): gunmetal grey (dark metallic color)... then once you get some silver wheels and a nice spoiler i guarantee you will have the finest looking u12 in the state!!  8)

good luck!! keep us updated with photos and stuff, and also write some DIYs if you get past any tricky spots! :)
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 01:55PM »
i dont know how glossy the gloss paint will turn out, but, would it be shiny enough to reflect the sun in your eyes? because thats something you dont want..

either way, if you go ahead with the gloss, then cover it with clear coat so that it doesnt get scratched.

what does the steering wheel in the corsair look like? if its like the gli wheel, get yourself a trx wheel...

joczy put lights in his air con vents, that'd be pretty cool to complement the neons in the foot wells.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2003, 02:23PM »
Sounds good spy, but he wants to keep it reasonably stock on the outside, nothing too special. Im pretty sure he doesnt want to be a target for thieves and highway patrol ;)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 02:51PM »
what does the steering wheel in the corsair look like? if its like the gli wheel, get yourself a trx wheel...

Yeah, its much the same, with only two connections to the wheels, unlike the Ghia/TRX/Ti with its three connections (look and feel better, also alot stiffer).

I've been looking for a ghia wheel for a while now.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 06:29PM »
i have a trx wheel. $50.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 08:35PM »
yeh sounds pretty nice, what was blakeyboyr saying about some lightening or something i never really understood what he was getting at  :P

nayld

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 10:39PM »
Ok, the lightning. Basically imagine looking up from the drivers seat at the roof of my car. That will be black vinyl. In the centre obviously is the interior light. coming off that, somewhat like tentacles off an octopus are bolts of lightning, one running to each rear pillar, one to each centre pillar and one to each front pillar, something like this

\   /

-- O --

/   \          <-- the O is the interior light. This is as if taken from sitting directly below.
  As for the steering wheel, I'm going to be replacing it with a silver and black one from SCA to match the rest of the trim. I forgot to mention I'm getting mags this friday, some 15" if possible if not have to stick with the 14's, Some nice silver ones, as my birthday present. What type of lights were put in the air vents? just Blue LED's? and how did he attach them?

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 11:07PM »
I`ve just got 1 thing to say - Why black?

I thought black went out in the 70`s
In my opinion i would steer away from it as i think it will look bland in the end but hey it`s your car and your choice
Don`t use gloss paint on any trim pieces though as what noss said will happen (i know i`ve been there)
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 11:10PM »
get a nice interior light man, like a 2nd hand one off another car that looks a little less old, because its going to be the centre of attention with all that lightning

nayld

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 11:16PM »
Yeah, I was planing to replace the interior light, something that is more spherical ideally. What would you recommend for the dash then, an acrylic paint with a clear gloss over the top? I dont want the dash to blind me but i do want it to have some reflection and not look dull and sun bleacher.

Offline ZEXTCY

• antrx.com junkie
  • I dare ya
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 11:25PM »
when you go to paint store and buy paint you intend to use tell them it`s for interior use
there`s a specific additive they put to it which will allow to bend (so to speak) making it more flexible than normal
you don`t clear interior pieces either - as clear needs to be buffed after usually
the paint you get from store comes in different gloss stages
What is the point of a signature, who REALLY reads it??

nayld

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 11:50PM »
Thank you very much Whizzn, Ill be sure to do that. I have a mate that works in hardware house so I'll get him to mix it up good for me.

nayld

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2003, 11:31PM »
That carpet i mentioned, custom fit for a Pintara/Corsair can be found at www.knoxautocarpets.com.au