Author Topic: wont start.. :(  (Read 4263 times)

Offline nitrouz

• antrx.com junior member
wont start.. :(
« on: Aug 14, 2007, 01:35PM »
hey all .
anyone think of any reason i have reds but no starter power. battery is charged and alternator charging fine. I have a uni chip installed unfortunately, greddy turbo timer, and i believe an immobiliser under there so does anyone think that could be it? can anyone guide me through what im looking for? im sitting in the car right now.
thanks

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: wont start.. :(
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2007, 01:57PM »
Your sitting in an import U13?

When you switch to 'on' the dash lights up, everything looks like its all go... then when you switch to start, nothing?

I would be checking the turbo timer.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline nitrouz

« Reply #2 on: Aug 14, 2007, 02:14PM »
yes an import u13. . i figured it could be turbo timer. how does one go of bypassing the wiring to run without it

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Aug 14, 2007, 03:30PM »
Was it already fitted when you bought the car?

Is it possible that the timer has a fuse of its own and that has blown?  Past that I would trace the timers wiring back to the ignition system.

I'm not awesome with electrics champ, someone like Jono or Ed should be able to help you out more once they see this post.

Offline nitrouz

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2007, 03:39PM »
thats possible i can see a fuse on that line. its a lil red flat egg spherical shaped one. Everything was fitted when i got it btw.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2007, 03:44PM »
Plus, is the car fitted with an immobiliser/alarm?

Offline nitrouz

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2007, 03:49PM »
i didnt think so til one day i hit a really big pothole and a siren went off. i had to pull over turn the car off and turn it back on again and it was fine lol.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2007, 03:53PM »
You got urself a dillema there my friend.

If the turbo timer is installed, but not working correctly, it would prevent the car from starting. Does it turn on (as in, does it light up, the LCD turn on... etc). If so, then it should be working fine.

If it doesnt, your going to have to trace the wires back to the

A) Power - usually a red wire, and pretty thick. If the fuse is blown, it would be on this wire somewhere. If not, it will be blown in the fusebox. Check the fuses in there.

B) Ground - Usually black - Should be connected to the car chassis somewhere... or another black cable.

C) Your on your own here. Turbo timers work off numerous things, particularly the ignition switch, to detect key turns, and to keep the car on. Unless you have the manual, or some form of way to get the manual... ur in a bit of trial and error. Im going to assume you dont have a multimeter :P

Thats if its the turbo timer.

The same problem... only much much worse if its the immobiliser. Usually, all the wiring is black. If thats buggered, you are going to have to find the control box, crack her open, and bypass the relay. :S

If its not either of those - then you are in luck. Could be a faulty starter relay, or some other electro-mechanical problem.

When you turn the key, does it click, crank, shudder, shake... squeal... anything?!?

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline nitrouz

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2007, 04:03PM »
i get reds. u can hear it prime but when u go to turn it over it doesnt do anything at all. no solenoid click or anything. i have a mate whos a sparky comin over shortly to check it out hopefully we come up with something. this is driving me crazy. Whats a full car re-wire job worth these days

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2007, 05:39PM »
Way too much :P

Ur sparky should be able to diagnose the problem. It seems as if the starter is disabled. Its a starting point for debugging... so it shouldnt take you too long to sort out.

Let us know how u go.

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2007, 07:08PM »
If it's an auto make sure it's in park... silly I know, but it's caught me out before :-[

I don't think it'd be the turbo timer, they usually have nothing to do with the starter system. They're usually just 4 wires. Common wiring colours are: red - constant power, green and blue - ignition and accessory, black - ground.

I think it's more likely your immobiliser/alarm. Have a look at the wiring coming from the key switch (usually 4-6 thick wires). Unwrap any tape that's over the wiring so you can see what's going on. If any wires have been cut and had a couple of alarm wires soldered on, join them back up again as they were from the factory. From memory the start wire is a black/white or black/yellow wire.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2007, 07:13PM »
If it's an auto make sure it's in park... silly I know, but it's caught me out before :-[

More on that, my bluebird blew its 'shift-lock' fuse a once or twice when I had an electrical gremlin.  This was pretty much telling the car that I was never in park and it would not start.

Offline nitrouz

« Reply #12 on: Aug 14, 2007, 07:18PM »
its all good its a 5 spd. will check that ignition out tomorrow. :D cheers

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2007, 11:53PM »
More on that, my bluebird blew its 'shift-lock' fuse a once or twice when I had an electrical gremlin.  This was pretty much telling the car that I was never in park and it would not start.

Shift-lock is the work of the devil.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline DTM

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2007, 04:41PM »
Check your Neutral switch on the gearbox, don't know if U13s have it but mine won't start in gear (manual)
It also has a little gremlin that once warm, even in neutral it won't start. you have to push it to third and back to neutral again and it will be fine. exact same thing as yours, lights but nothing when you turn the key

Offline trippedoutmonkey

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #15 on: Mar 8, 2008, 11:48PM »
not sure whether this helps but mine tends to do the same thang...
i turn fron on to ignition and nothing...
i wait a minute then it works... cant quite woork it out yet though...