Author Topic: i need help with engine swaps  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
i need help with engine swaps
« on: Apr 25, 2003, 04:50PM »
My engine (ca20e) is nearing 300 000 and i am just wondering what exactly is involed in an engine swap.  There are a few threads concerning sr20det's and ca18det's and how they fit straight in etc etc.  I dont know a great deal about cars but can one of ypu guys give me an estimate total price of swapping a ca20e out of an 89 gli pintara with either an sr20det or a ca18det.

Thanks

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re:i need help with engine swaps
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2003, 07:09PM »
Budget at least $3k to do it properly, plus labor if you're not doing it yourself.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2003, 03:05AM »
cant u pick these engines up for around $1500? what other costs are involved?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2003, 03:38AM »
fuel pump, possibly brakes, 2.5" exhaust minimum, possibly a front mount cooler, piping to run the cooler.. fluids (oil, coolant, brake fluids etc) other stuff.. might be fogetting some..

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2003, 03:43AM »
oh ok, thanks for the info

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2003, 04:13PM »
what about a ka24e? could i put on of them in a little more cheaply? Do they fit at all?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2003, 05:14PM »
yeah, they fit, but they're about $2500 for engine only!

then you need to buy the loom (~$200-300) then the ecu (~$220) and then the gearbox ($500-600 for non lsd, $800-1200 for lsd)

and thats all 2nd hand high kilometre parts
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2003, 08:48PM by noss »

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2003, 05:26PM »
maybe i'll just buy a new fukn car!

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2003, 06:16PM »
I know what youre going through.
With the SR20DET I was told, that there are a few engine mounts needed to be made too. The hardest part of the conversion is simply finding a SSS gear box to bolt onto it. And even they are not cheap.

Trsut me, having my engine rebuilt now is cheaper, through people you know, but still there are so many suprises you never think of. Money here, money there, it adds up. Im about 1k over what I planned anyways! And thats just a rebuild!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Apr 26, 2003, 09:06PM »
maybe i'll just buy a new fukn car!

well, with modifying cars, a lot of people just dont understand how expensive it is. everything involves money, and nothing comes cheap. people with the ca20e powered pintaras are extremely lucky with the fact that the can keep their existing mounts & gearbox & stick a ca18det in. they are a powerful (and very underrated) engine which can make more than enough power to satisfy your need for speed.

unless you can get a ka24e and all the equipment required to run it (loom, ecu, gearbox etc) for cheap, then its not a mod swap worth doing for ca20e owners. you'd need engine mounts from a 2.4 litre pintara as well. and all that effort for another 13kw. definately not worth it. fair enough, sssgtr is getting big power out of his ka24e, and the american 240sx owners (forget about most of the stanza owners other than sudesh) are getting big figures from their 2.4 litre engines too. however, it still costs a fair bit of money to get your engine to that level, expecially if you dont want to, or arent confident with doing a bulk of the work yourself.

an engine swap can be performed by yourself in the back yard succesfully in a weekend. it happens all over australia. every weeekend. someone is swapping an engine. its just a matter of time and money. you have to ask yourself, do you want to spend a little bit of money on your car, a car which you already know & can trust, and having loads of fun slaughtering v8's & the likes, or, do you want to fork out nearly $10k on another 2nd hand car and quite possibly, have picked up a complete lemon that is going to cause more trouble than its worth?

in the end, you dont have to swap the engine just because its hit 300,000km. is there even anything wrong with it? if there is, and its internal & not easily repairable, get it rebuilt. while its getting rebuilt, have the head ported & polished, put in a performance cam, fit extractors and an exhaust, and then get a chip tuned to suit all these mods. it will still cost a bit of money, and will never compare to a ca18det or sr20det, but it will be less hassle for you, and, most of it can be done in parts, so you dont have to have the entire sum of money up front (like for the engine)

so, save a few dollars here and there, and get yourself a good 2.25" exhaust. it should only cost around $100 for piping + the cost of your muffler, no resonators, it'll be nice & loud and you'll feel a bit of a pick up in power. and if you decide to go ca18det, you'll need a bigger exhaust anyway. this is all of course, assuming you dont already have an exhaust. if you do. save up for a CAI and buy a pod (good simota pods are $40 plus $20 for an adaptor) a really good CAI which locates the pod outside the engine bay will set you back about $300-400 for mandrel bent pipes.

anyway, after all this. in the end, i'm just saying, decide what you want to do, or if you need/want a swap that badly. if you do, you'll find a way to get the money. but just be prepared to spend it. if you dogo a turbo swap, you'll be grinning ear to ear for years to come.  ;D

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2003, 01:39AM »
Yeh my engine hasnt had any major probs as yet, its just everyone thats looks at my oedometer is like whoa 300 000 that wont last much longer and shit.  I already have a cat back 2 1/4 inch pipe leading to a twin 3 1/4 straight thru muffler and a pretty good pod, whats a CAI?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2003, 07:52PM »
Yeh my engine hasnt had any major probs as yet, its just everyone thats looks at my oedometer is like whoa 300 000 that wont last much longer and shit.  I already have a cat back 2 1/4 inch pipe leading to a twin 3 1/4 straight thru muffler and a pretty good pod, whats a CAI?

ah, dont worry about what people say. people get a bit miffed at my car having 260,000ks on it, but it still goes fine. so stuff them i say. a CAI is a cold air intake. the whole idea of it is to get cold air into the engine, as cold air is denser. also, a good intake (warm or cold air) consists of piping that that replaces the stock rubber piping. this is done to eliminate turbulence, which also helps more air enter the engine.

the most common method is to get piping from the front pumper into the engine bay where the pod is located. and then have a partition behind the pod so that it helps to block heat from the engine.

another way is to also have the partition spearating the pod from the engine, and having a bonnet vent to let cold air in.

or the other way is the way i have done mine, which locates the pod in the front gaurd so its always sucking the coldest  air possible. i'd definately reccomend this method.

now, i know people are probably sick of hearing about my cold air intak and how good it is, so, i'm going to put a writeup about it in the faq section, and also the reason why it works so well. i'll also iclude pics so new you can check it out gli.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2003, 01:11AM »
yeh that'd be good, so u did it ureself pretty much? what did it end up costing u?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Apr 28, 2003, 01:16PM »
i got it welded up for free. for all the materials, including 3" pre mandrell bent stainless, 3" silicone for connections, hose clamps & hose for the vacuum lines cost around the $220-250 mark

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Apr 28, 2003, 02:08PM »
arr ok, yeh that diy would come in handy  ;)

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2003, 02:11PM »
Good on anyone who does an engine swap....on an exceptional looking pintara it would be well worth it. For mine...its just about dead money...thus I plan to upgrade to newer car instead of doing an engine swap.

My cars odometre stopped at 189k..has done somewhere over 220 i think. If you look after them, they will last a long time...mine is running perfect.
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

Offline timmy

• whatever floats your boat
Re: i need help with engine swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2004, 03:37PM »
im thinking of doing a ca20e - ca18det  conversion myself..  my mate just asked 'why not a ca20det?'. so yea.. whats the deal with ca20dets? :P

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2004, 03:40PM »
where do i start? ::)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2004, 03:43PM »
They don't exist.  Thats the deal with them :P

If you are even remotely considering doing an engine swap do your research!.  I cannot stress that enough.  If its just something you like to suggest on a forum just to say something, or are 'thinking about' then don't bother.  You either decide you want to do it, or you decide you don't want to do it.

There are quite a few  threads with reference to the CA20E --> CA18DET swap and all are nothing but speculation (with some facts).  We are not going to know, until someone does the swap.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, i'm just sick of the same question a million times.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline timmy

• whatever floats your boat
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2004, 03:45PM »
hehe its all good. i was just reading along and thinking 'hmm that sounds alright' and my mate said something about a ca20det... so i thought id ask ::)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2004, 04:53PM »
My words of advice on engine swaps: RESEARCH (ie google is your best friend) any types of engine swaps into FWD cars. It doesn't matter whether it's a Honda, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc, nearly all engine swaps into any make of FWD car are going to be extremely similiar, the only difference is whether a kit is available for certain parts, ie engine mounts, or whether custom fabrication is required.

I'm locking this now as a FAQ is currently in the process of being written up in regards to what is needed to swap a CA20E to CA18DET; a particular antrx.com member most likely will be performing this swap in dec/jan/feb.

As for questions concerning KA24E to SR20DET swaps, send an email to charlie's motors in brisbane, they are the shop responsible for the transplant in SIR_TRX's U12. (sorry, you'll have to search for their email address, i couldn't find it)