Author Topic: Now that's clutch slip if I ever saw it!!  (Read 1383 times)

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
Now that's clutch slip if I ever saw it!!
« on: Mar 6, 2003, 10:18PM »
Hey guys I took the TRX out with a mate last week and everything was fine until I got into third and gunned it. The clutch started slipping so badly that the engine revved freely as though it was fully disengaged!! We were both like WTF!!!! Carried out a few more tests with the same results and then limped back home.

So we checked everything in the engine bay and it seemed OK (yeah as if we'd know) so we checked the pedal and saw that instead of the recommended 1-3mm of freeplay it was more like 30mm which we decided was probably a bit too much...

Anyway we fixed this and it's a different car now!! Goes into gears easier, takes off easier, etc. etc. Anyway since we only fixed the freeplay that's a free tip for anyone but what I'm interested in is... why??
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
Re:Now that's clutch slip if I ever saw it!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7, 2003, 06:14PM »
heya, same thing happened with me, the master cylinder for the clutch was never really adjusted properly by the mechanic who put it in when i first bought the car, i just kept up with the pedal coming nearly all the way out for like quite a while, i started to have probs where it just started slipping, but normally a clutch only slips a little, not rev out, so it didnt make sence.

i took a different approach and shortened the push rod on the master cylinder, and presto, the clutch works awesome, i have faster changes, and not one hint of slip. if u find this problem, dont cut the pushrod too much, maybe liek 5mm cuts then test each time, to get the desired feel from the pedal. then yep ur set.

bit of mucking around but itds well worth it, and may save u a costly bill at the mechanics if they decide just to chuck in a clutch even though it didnt need it at all.

as to why this happens, im not sure, maybe wear from the master/slave cylinder.

"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
Re:Now that's clutch slip if I ever saw it!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2003, 07:34PM »
Guess what? I'm having the same darn problem again!!! I might try your method joczy!!
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds