Author Topic: Fuel pump fuse melting?  (Read 4932 times)

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
Fuel pump fuse melting?
« on: Aug 8, 2015, 07:40PM »
I had my alternator die the other day, and with it my fuel pump fuse melted. :'(. Since then its happened three times more! Does anyone have any ideas on what may have started it and could be causing?
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline dannymanno

• antrx.com junior member
Re: Fuel pump fuse melting?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 9, 2015, 12:36PM »
If your altinator went high voltage when it died it could be anything.  Are you sure the new altinator isn't putting out too much voltage?

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2015, 04:15AM »
i have replaced the alternator. i will have to check..original sr20ve alt is 90 amp , this is 80

skype_shannan801

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2015, 11:24AM »
If it's done it a further 3 times after you replaced the alternator Pedro, you have a short somewhere that is causing it to draw more than the rated capacity of the fuse (10a from memory).

If the wiring is all intact and good, the alternator regulator failing has probably caused an internal short in the fuel pump (most likely in the armature windings).

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2015, 02:25AM »
It doen'nt blow the fuse, just melts the plastic, so, I bought a new pack of fuses of Narva quality as I thought it might even be as simple as crap fuses. been 2 days and still on the same one, however I haven't reved pased 4.5k yet, might see what happens @ 8K

skype_shannan801

Offline squizz taylor

« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2015, 11:59AM »
If it's done it a further 3 times after you replaced the alternator Pedro, you have a short somewhere that is causing it to draw more than the rated capacity of the fuse (10a from memory).

If the wiring is all intact and good, the alternator regulator failing has probably caused an internal short in the fuel pump (most likely in the armature windings).

I would look at the pump and the wiring circuit as SSS says. If the current draw is high, but not above the rated, it will heat the wiring and then ultimately the fuse. Think of what happens when you put big headlight globes with standard wiring.

A question to ask is how many pumps are you running off that circuit, what is the rated current draw for the pump, what is the rated capacity of the factory wiring and what other items are running off that circuit. If you identify there is too much current draw on the circuit, i would suggest rewiring the circuit, or running the pump from its circuit with a separate fuse.

This may simply be a something that is not new, but has been highlighted by the failure of the alternator. More work for you pedro.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2015, 01:26AM »
I did look into the fuel pump wiring ages ago, as i was concerned the pump would not be getting enough volts, as the lph rating is often on 13 or 14v or so volts(only running 1 pump, the AEM 325 lph) and by the time it gets to the pump can sometimes be as low as 10v. I will check it out again soon and the pump, but for now the new bunch of Narva fuses seem to be holding ok.

skype_shannan801

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Sep 9, 2015, 02:25PM »
ok seems that the issue hasnt gone away with the better fuses . it happened again today, however it didn't melt the fuse it just blew as it should. I will look into it next week a bit further.

skype_shannan801

Offline squizz taylor

« Reply #8 on: Sep 9, 2015, 03:02PM »
If your fuel pump wiring is the standard wiring this will be the cause of the large voltage drop, and also the resultant fuse issue. You need to bight the bullet and run some good heavy gauge power from the battery through a separate fuse and relay to run your pumps. Utilise the standard pump wiring as your switching circuit for the relays. If the battery is in the boot, this will be very easy to do. Just make sure you put a fuse in the new supply power.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2019, 01:39AM »
Bit old now, But seems the fuel pump was drawing more than the 15 amps, I ended up getting a DW200 , runs more efficiently.

skype_shannan801