Author Topic: Is it possible..  (Read 2783 times)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Is it possible..
« on: Feb 19, 2007, 02:22PM »
for the u12 to be setup to handle as good as a integra type r ?

swaybars, strut brace at the front, good spring + shock combo, adjustable tie rods, solid bushes.

Can it all be set up by say a suspension shop to handle as good as one ? Or is our chassis simply not good enough.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline cruizer

• post whore
Re: Is it possible..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2007, 04:11PM »
Im thinking it probably wouldnt chris. Wasn't the integra type r oriented towards performance, hence a stiffer chassis? And the u12 made to be a passanger car...hence poorer handling. Maybe if you did some strengthening welds along the chassis to make it a bit stiffer it could be closer (seen it done on alot of drift and track cars). Maybe if you did enough research you could get a good setup going.

Offline fraz

• bandit!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:19PM »
If you spent decent money on handling eg- tyres, wheels, shocks, lighter suspension arms etc, plus made the car stiffer with engine bay brace- strut towers to firewall, and made the car lighter, like a lot lighter, then theres no reason why you cant handle like a stock integra.

like cruizer said, its a family car :(
you can get out of a ukrainian prison for 2 packs of marlbro and a bottle of vodka....

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2007, 07:26PM »
Seam weld, strut bars, handling kit, coilovers... and maybe even a roll cage.... MIGHT produce enough stiffness to make it handle... But remember, the chassis is long, the balance is all wrong... and the width is much to be desired.

Give it a go... and you may be surprised tho!  8)

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:45AM »
IMHO, I think weight distribution could  be a problem too. :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:32PM »
Weight distro can be improved to an extent.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:40PM »
for the u12 to be setup to handle as good as a integra type r ?

swaybars, strut brace at the front, good spring + shock combo, adjustable tie rods, solid bushes.

Can it all be set up by say a suspension shop to handle as good as one ? Or is our chassis simply not good enough.

Possible to obtain the same sort of grip, but in terms of overall "feel", not likely.
I love driving my brother's DCR 'R. I feel like i'm piloting a barge down the yarra when i get into my U12 after driving that.

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2007, 09:05PM »
The Intregra has double wishbone suspension front and rear. I think it may even be multi link, like an AUDI. Multi-link A-arm style suspension is the ultimate.

All the U12 has is McPherson struts on the front and Chapam struts on the rear. But to be fair BMW and Porche both use McPherson struts on their cars and they are meant to be really good handling cars (don't know, never driven either one). But the racing versions of the 911 add extra links to make it a multi-link a-arm setup.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2007, 11:03PM »
9" wheels and flare the guards?  :P

Offline CS2rex

• antrx.com full member
  • formerly mark_sss
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2007, 11:12PM »
im gonna say yes and ask how much money ur willing to throw at it

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2007, 06:49AM »
Look at V8 super cars, they use a live axle at the arse end and I think mac-pherson at the front and the handle brilliantly. Chris anything is possible. As Ed said seam weld will stiffen the chassis. But just dont crash the car, it will be a bitch to repair. Relocate as much weight to the rear. ie battery, lighter front seats, if possible lighter rims on the front etc.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2007, 12:25PM »
Like dave said try and even up the weight from front to back. I noticed a big difference when i removed my two 12" subs and box from the boot. The rear felt much more like it was floating then sticking to the road.

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:57PM »
Look at V8 super cars, they use a live axle at the arse end and I think mac-pherson at the front and the handle brilliantly.

They use a 6 link live axle with watts linkage. A good example of this is on XE-AU Falcons. It is the best way to linkup a live axle for handling. On the front they use double wishbone. These are just the rules for the class and all cars have to be setup this way to enter. On a smooth track a live axle could handle quite well.