Author Topic: Skyline Cruise Major Accident in Adelaide  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
Skyline Cruise Major Accident in Adelaide
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:49AM »
Thought I might post this up here to remind everyone that goes on  cruises to be extra safe, in particular keep a safe distance between you and the car in front, don't exceed the speed limit (how ever tempting it may be) and to just drive sensibly, you NEVER know when something like this will happen:

"Copied from SAU forum"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but ....

Before topics get posted and the rumour mill in Adelaide starts I wanted to let everyone know what happened.

Approx 8 Skylines were travelling at approx. 100km an hour (in a 110km/h zone) in a dual lane road (which was damp) heading slightly uphill. The oncoming lane was single lane, but had a semi-dotted line for overtaking into the middle lane of our 2 lane road, when safe.

It appears an oncoming green Festiva was overtaking, crossing into the centre of our 2 lanes, and has hit Drew/prof_dls (who was in the middle lane) almost head-on. The festiva appeared to be momentarily airbourne, then was struck by another maroon festiva (or similar car) after it hit the ground, spinning the green festiva around onto the road shoulder.

Needless to say Drew's car is a write-off. When I left, the emergency vehicles has arrived and were starting their work. Drew appeared to be trapped in his car, and was very shaken up and disorientated. His airbag had gone off, but he had still hit his head very hard on something. Due to the massive damage of the car I can only assume his feet and/or legs were trapped.

Unfortunately the young *edit* male (for various physical reasons - blood etc - I originally thought the driver was female) driver of the green festiva was trapped heavily in his vehicle, and appeared to be deceased. His young female passenger appeared to be quite seriously hurt, and was highly distressed (mostly about the driver I think).

The other festiva was damaged but the driver seemed ok.

So all in all it was a terrible accident, especially when Drew was only in the wrong place at the wrong time. We were all being responsible and had had a great cruise.

My heart goes out to you Drew, I massively hope you are ok. Please let us all know asap if you are ok, and if there is anything we can do for you.

Andrew

** update - I heard on the news that the other driver is indeed deceased, and Drew was airlifted to the RAH. I will find out exact details of Drew's whereabouts and organise a visit in the near future.

Quite a major incident!! Its amazing the skyline driver was not killed as this is what his car lookes like now: (I'll find a pic soon)

The full discussion is here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118793&st=0

Chad

First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Skyline Cruise Major Accident in Adelaide
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:52AM »
Shit hey thats really not good news.

Its unfortuante when things like this happen and as a regular cruiser wish that these are few and far between incidents.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 07:57PM »
yea... thats pretty fucked, sad to hear the news about the other driver, and hope all who were involved have a speedy recovery...

i urge everyone to sign up to SAU (if already havent done) and pass on your support and best wishes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 08:15PM by Jecks »
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:10PM »
Yes it's important to be careful always, and especially on cruises.

But this didn't seem to be the fault of any of the SAU members / Skyline drivers.

As was said, wrong place, wrong time. Unfortunate yes, but I don't feel this should reflect badly on cruises. If it wasn't the skyline gathering, it simply would've been somebody else.

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 10:02PM »
Shit.....thats really bad.

R.I.P Green Festiva and its deceased occupants and a get well to the injured cruiser and civilians

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 11:13PM »
Shit.... Thats really bad. I drive my mums festia sometimes and i for one can vouch that id be safer on a push bike running into an oncomming car than i would be in it so to take ur life into ur hands in 1 of those cars is crazy. Definatly a sad situation

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 11:16PM »
unfortunatly, all i took was a slight lack of judgement from one person, and sadly paid for it with his life. Cruisers did nothing to cause the accident, and its a testament to good cruise ethics, it was just a freak accident

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 12:22AM »
Accidents do happen, from what I've gathered it was bad judgement by the Festiva driver. Freak accident indeed.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:15AM »
hoy crap i jsut saw it on the late new chadza  :-\

yeah that nice skyline just sitting there wrecked.

apparently he was air lifted to hospital, geez that must have been bad.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 11:09AM »
unfortunatly, all i took was a slight lack of judgement from one person, and sadly paid for it with his life. Cruisers did nothing to cause the accident, and its a testament to good cruise ethics, it was just a freak accident

that is if good cruise ethics are abided by.. i think this reinforces the point that the cruise code of conduct isnt something to be scoffed at. sure it sounds like we're being hard, but its for a good reason.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 08:58PM »
that is if good cruise ethics are abided by.. i think this reinforces the point that the cruise code of conduct isnt something to be scoffed at. sure it sounds like we're being hard, but its for a good reason.

i agree completely, i know that i have done stupid things on cruises, and its not till later that you realise how stupid your actions actually were. these days i take a more responsible tact when cruising.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan