Author Topic: Fuel Economy  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
Fuel Economy
« on: Apr 18, 2003, 02:07PM »
this is weird, over the last 4 weeks my fuel economy has gone to the shits.
i used to be able to get to about 150kms when the dial reached the first quarter (3 quarters full) on the fuel guage, now i struggle to make it to 80kms.
This isn't a once off either, it has happened consistantly over the 4 week period.

I can't understand why it is chewing so much fuel, it does need a service, but what could be causing that much fuel to be used?
The only thing that i could think of that i did aroound the time this problem started occuring was when i disconnected the ECU from the car for about an hour.

There is no exhaust leak, as this was my first thought and it ain't blowing out any smoke or anything.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to why it could be doing this?
and there fore what i should have looked at to try and rectify the problem.

thanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2003, 02:08PM by Westy »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:Fuel Economy
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2003, 04:11PM »
have you tried a different petrol station? they could have been getting dodgy fuel in all of a sudden.

things to look at would be fuel filter, air filter, plugs, leads, coil & fuel pump. basically anything that has anything to do with supplying fuel to the engine, or anything that has something to do with sparking the fuel. as for the air filter, you'll find that if it is overly dirty, fuel economy could suffer from that as well.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Westy

• antrx.com junior member
  • '90 TRX
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2003, 05:10PM »
have you tried a different petrol station? they could have been getting dodgy fuel in all of a sudden.

Um, not that i can remember.

i usually use mobil 8000, and i don't think my milage changed when i changed from optimax to synergy 8000.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 19, 2003, 06:46PM »
I usually don't go to BP but then one time I did happen to I ended up getting 80 out of the first quarter instead of 120. Also... are you filling it right up everytime... I mean... click, click click kinda thing?

His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2003, 08:49PM »
I got 180km out of half a tank but thats flogging the shit out of it but my fuel economy is realy poor i might try some new plugs any one know whats good for the trx

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2003, 09:13PM »
plugs are plugs really.. last time i checked, your couldnt get ngk irridiums for the trx.. see if you can get bosch super4s, but then i dont know if you can get them for the trx either..

so basically you just got ngk's or bosch. they're made to factory specs, so neither is better than the other i dont think

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 19, 2003, 10:16PM »
plugs are plugs really
Yeah I agree with noss. I've got Bosch Super4's (yep, you can get them for the TRX) and I've noticed very little difference if any at all, either to fuel economy or performance. The super4's are model WR78X.

Personally I wouldn't bother paying the $25 extra.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2003, 12:59PM »
Super 4s aren't really made for performance, they're made to last longer.  The spark will always jump to the nearest cleanest electrode, and as that wears out, the spark will jump to another electrode... so theoretically, they should last 4 times as long...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.