Author Topic: CAI Finished!  (Read 1938 times)

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
CAI Finished!
« on: Sep 29, 2002, 03:07PM »
Finally, after lots of mucking round......I installed my CAI today. After loooking at a few methods, I chose one that is fairly cheap, yet effective. My options were:

To use 2 inch steel piping (from exhaust shop -which I already bought, 1m @ $15, plus 2 rubber bends with O rings, at $16 each. After purcahsing the piping, I thought about it, and concluded that It was just too heavy. Not that I'm going for some light to keep my weight down, it was just too heavy and not that easy to use. So..I thought of a second option:

Use 2 inch pvc pipe, with pvc angle bends. The pipe was about $5 and the bends round $2.50 each. A cheaper alternative, but what I also thought was too difficult (ok, so I'm lazy) and well......didnt look that great in the engine bay. So, Finally, I took my third option:

Use 2 inch Rubber tubing which is bendy. Thus not using any sharp 90' bends, rather than smooth curves for bends. The tubing was much easier to use too. I went to various hard ware shops, and the tubing was shit cheap. Like $5 per metre, which was plenty. However, not that strong. So I opted to spend a bit and use the good stuff. Clark rubber was where I bought this shit. I was $29 per metre, not cheap, but was well worth it. The tubing has Extremly strong steel wire running through it. So strong that you need bolt cutters to cut the damn thing. Also, It was a melting point of 145'C which is perfect for its application in our hot engine bays, not like other plastic tubing. So, I connected it to the standard air box. Ran it down along the car, under the headlight, where it ends pointing out of my front grille. Looks pretty schmik in the engine bay and out. Topped it off with some fly screen mesh, and the end will get a touch of red tomorrow - so it cant really be seen.

I will post some pics of it up on this site later this week hopefully.

Now, Im not sure if it was just me 'wanting it to feel like Cold air does make a huge improvement' or not, but I kid you not, the car felt like it revs so much better now. Am I imagining things or is this true? I know Cold air is better for the engine, but a noticable improvement? Im so impressed! I was told that for every 5'C your air temp going into the engine is, you gain 1 extra kw. Is this true? Because before my CAI, I only use the standard air box with a huge hole in the side. Thats how the car came when I bought it. So im thinking the air going into the engine was at least 50/60C.  Now, with cold air, and at night, its more like 15/20C If my calculations are correct, that up to 45C differences or 9kw!!!!!!

So this story bullshit? Or is it true, and thats why I can feel the difference? Or as I said, Am I imagining things?
« Last Edit: Jan 1, 1970, 10:00AM by 1043326800 »

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: CAI Finished!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2002, 10:24PM »
i think it's every 2 degrees lower you pick up about 1hp.

Offline Nismo

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
    • My Car
« Reply #2 on: Oct 4, 2002, 04:31AM »
I would imagine you should have a great difference if there was previously no piping at all.

It would run crap: especially after the engine has warmed up - even worse on a mild / hot / humid day. So from no piping to CAI should be noticable.

From a stock setup [not yours mitza] to a good CAI is noticable on most but not really in terms of pull or power just revs and sound [better response].

Fixed!

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 4, 2002, 05:36AM »
you lost me there nismo
You contradicted yourself.....can you explain that one to me again?

Offline Nismo

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
    • My Car
« Reply #4 on: Oct 4, 2002, 08:38AM »
after reading it again, it does look a bit nonsensical.

ok. With the engine running @ normal temp [midrange on guage] it would struggle to make good power without any piping on the airbox. This would elevate to a major struggle for power in humid / hot conditions.

Now, having not only fit some piping to get air from the front of the car [like factory setup which u never had] you have also used bigger and less restrictive piping and its placed lower than the stock set up - to get cooler air [closer to the ground]. This I imagine would make a significant difference to what u had previously.

Cruising at speed [60km+ without traffic etc] on a cold morning your car would have been a bit more responsive than on a mild day.

Hows that?