Author Topic: Tweeters?  (Read 3199 times)

Offline nbgrove57

• antrx.com junior member
  • 1995 Nissan Bluebird SSS
Tweeters?
« on: Jun 2, 2007, 08:28PM »
I've finally got around to put new front speakers in my car (1995 nissan bluebird sss)
I'm putting 6' pionner in & that all went well, but does anyone know if you have to do anything about the stock tweeters?
And if i have to take them out how do you do it?

Cheers!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: Tweeters?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3, 2007, 10:26AM »
its upto you if you wanna pull em out man. if the sound doesn't mix with your new speakers then disconnect them and just have the new speakers down below.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #2 on: Jun 3, 2007, 03:47PM »
Mine were done by alberts and all they did was unplug the tweeter somewhere
the new tweeteres were shockingly glued to the pillars next to the stock tweeter location.
Now i have all this glue crap there coz the fell off and ive decided to  doublesidetape them to my dashmat
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 3, 2007, 03:53PM »
Aslong as all you have done is swap a speaker straight over then you should have no worries at all aslong as the impedence is the same on both sets of speakers (id be amazed if a 6" and pioneer 6" were different).

If you remove the tweeters it is possible that there will be not enough total front circuit impedence into the frontstage of the speaker output. This will only affect it if there is a passive crossover built into the system. Pull out you head unit and see how many speaker out cables there are, if there are 8 cables then you are running 4 speakers total (from the deck) if there are 12 cables then the tweeters are running happily from the deck and you can feel free to cut the cables of replace the tweeters consequence free.

Offline nbgrove57

« Reply #4 on: Jun 3, 2007, 09:21PM »
Hey guys i've wired the speakers to the deck and i know that it correct, but for some reason they're not working. ???
I've checked the wiring diagram (alot!),swapped the stock amps over in the boot and checked the fuses and there fine.
Runnig the same speakers at the back off the deck/amp and there fine.
I'm thinking it might be the factory crossover box for the tweeters ( only 8 wire from deck ) so does anyone know where they are so i came take them out.

Cheers Damo ;D

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 3, 2007, 11:11PM »
Did you use the stock cable for the speakers and just cut it at the door?? If youve done something from the deck and its not working make sure its all plugged in and happy there, most likely an rca cable for the stock amp.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Jun 3, 2007, 11:42PM »
Aslong as all you have done is swap a speaker straight over then you should have no worries at all aslong as the impedence is the same on both sets of speakers (id be amazed if a 6" and pioneer 6" were different).

The impedance on almost all automotive speakers is 4 ohms. The only common exceptions are in premium sound systems in euro cars, and late model Commodores.

If you remove the tweeters it is possible that there will be not enough total front circuit impedence into the frontstage of the speaker output. This will only affect it if there is a passive crossover built into the system. Pull out you head unit and see how many speaker out cables there are, if there are 8 cables then you are running 4 speakers total (from the deck) if there are 12 cables then the tweeters are running happily from the deck and you can feel free to cut the cables of replace the tweeters consequence free.

There are 4 pairs of speaker wires behind the head unit of a U13. The speaker wires split up somewhere in the dash loom to go to both the door speaker and tweeter. There is a passive crossover built into the back of the tweeter, it's a simple capacitor in line with the tweeter.

There will be no issues with impedances at all if the tweeters are just disconnected. Most head units and amplifiers are stable when powering any load with an impedance greater than two ohms. There is a fairly large variation in the impedance of speakers depending on what frequency they're operating at anyway.

Hey guys i've wired the speakers to the deck and i know that it correct, but for some reason they're not working. ???
I've checked the wiring diagram (alot!),swapped the stock amps over in the boot and checked the fuses and there fine.
Runnig the same speakers at the back off the deck/amp and there fine.
I'm thinking it might be the factory crossover box for the tweeters ( only 8 wire from deck ) so does anyone know where they are so i came take them out.

The problem won't be in the crossovers, they're built into the tweeters, and completely independent of the door speakers. You won't gain anything from removing them.

Are you sure you picked up the right amplifier turn-on wire? Got the right wires for the front speakers?

...most likely an rca cable for the stock amp.

There are no RCA cables for the factory amps, they're designed for high-level inputs.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline nbgrove57

« Reply #7 on: Jun 5, 2007, 02:10PM »
Hey i'm pretty sure i have right speaker wires from the deck cause its correct in the diagram and both the colours match up aswell (white & grey) and the amp turn on wire i've checked cause i've diconnected it and the back speakers wont work, but hey i will go and check it all again just in case.

I take it tho if the all the wires are correct ill have to find out where the speaker wire splits to go to the tweeters and dissconnect the tweeters ?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Jun 5, 2007, 07:13PM »
Your tweeters shouldn't be causing your problem.

If you do want to disconnect them, pull off the A-pillar trim and just unplug the tweeter.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline nbgrove57

« Reply #9 on: Jun 6, 2007, 07:36PM »
Your tweeters shouldn't be causing your problem.

If you do want to disconnect them, pull off the A-pillar trim and just unplug the tweeter.

Nah there not thanks , but this weird i went to  repco turned the car on no front speakers! but after a minute on so driving they came on, the same thing happened on the way home & also to work and back today, WTF?

Prob loose connection i guess, il have to double get it all!!

Thanks Damo ;D

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Jun 6, 2007, 08:34PM »
If it's both of them at the same time, you might have a short circuit to ground. Check for pinched wires, speaker terminals touching metal etc.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline nbgrove57

« Reply #11 on: Jun 6, 2007, 09:29PM »
Yeah it is both at the same time, i will definitly do that, thanks alot ;D