Author Topic: What Brand?  (Read 11546 times)

Offline Legend Killer

• antrx.com senior member
What Brand?
« on: Nov 29, 2006, 10:28PM »
Hi Guys Well i no a fair bit about sound systems... but i thought i would ask people that are older then me and might have more experience.
Ive been leaning towards three brands for my subs and amps. Im Leaving my speakers pionner since they pump hard.
Any way i Am thinking of Alpine, RockFordFosgate or Audio Bahn, Ive got audio bahn stuff in my car at the moment but i want to enter my car in Comps.
I am thinking of Two Alpine Type X subs with two ALPINE MRD-M1005 MONOBLOCK  Amplifier! 1000W!.
With The RockFord i was leaning towards two T212D4 12" 1000WRMS Subwoofer or P312D4 12" 500WRMS Subwoofer amplified with two T10001bd 1000WRMS Monoblock Amplifier.... And any Audio Bahn Stuff that is dear is ok lol

Sorry guys if you think i am a noob and dont flame me but any help will be apprectiated
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
Re: What Brand?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:10PM »
Have you looked at any hifonics gear? That stuff really pumps. For SPL i sell a lot of hifonics gear.

2x Alpine SWX-1242D Type X 12" subs - $1099
2x Alpine MRD-M1005 amps - $1258
TOTAL: $2357

Or

1x Hifonics XX Colossus II 3200w amp - $1348
1x Hifonics Goliath XX3212 6400w 12" SPL sub - $1243
TOTAL: $2591

Checkout their site - http://www.maxxsonics.com/hifonics/

The hifonics gear has more bang for your buck and has won a lot of comps in the US. PM me if you want any more details.

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2006, 12:45PM »
so do you think alpine would be a better choice then the fosgate range??? and do you think if i got alpine stuff i would be better off getting alpine speakers as well or doesnt that matter.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2006, 02:37PM »
It's really just personal preference. If i was building a SPL setup i'd go the hifonics. The good thing with alpine is their amp link if you have an alpine headunit.

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2006, 03:10PM »
Ok I dont think i would go with the hifonics cause ive heard bad things about the subs and amps. Im thinking of going towards the rockford fosgate subs as they pump really hard.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #5 on: Dec 1, 2006, 09:31AM »
Not to be off topic, but i thought there was a stickied topic marked "what to buy" in the antrx noise boards?  Just a hinter
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #6 on: Dec 1, 2006, 10:11AM »
Hifonics shit is good. Have a friend who has a 1000rms + (cant remember exactly what it is) amp that he swares by. WOn a few street spl comps with it 2.

I have a question? Why do u have to do with the same brand?

Personaly i would choose,

Head Unit - eclipse (altho it lacks in tacky features but makes up in power and sq)

Speakers - DLS, Boston acoustic, MB quart, hertz or some top end JBL. Those are all im familiar with atho there are probably alot more.

Speaker Amp - Eclipse, dls, dd (altho more for power) and more (cant remember)

Sub amp - DD, Fusion, crossfire (also no many more)

Sub - DD (for power) or eclipse, Hertz

They are just what i have heard and would choose. There are many more

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 1, 2006, 10:12PM »
oh i dont have to have the same brand except i already got a pioneer head unit and comp speakers. i just need Good amps and Good Subs and ive heard that Fosgate has excellent subs and amps. But Suggestions are great i will look at all the other brands you have said except for fusion and elcipse i dnt really like them.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #8 on: Dec 1, 2006, 11:39PM »
oh i dont have to have the same brand except i already got a pioneer head unit and comp speakers. i just need Good amps and Good Subs and ive heard that Fosgate has excellent subs and amps. But Suggestions are great i will look at all the other brands you have said except for fusion and elcipse i dnt really like them.

How much and which model. Alot (i mean all) of the "lower quality" pioneer hu are shocking quality. They look flashy and sound ok and have some pretty good features for price (i know this is why i bought 1 when i first got my car), but as soon as you amp them the "noise" in unmistakable. That might be your first upgrade. I suggest flogging it off on ebay and getting urself a decent head unit. All this is not valid if you paid over $1000 (i think it is when pioneer start making the good stuff, i dont no so ask some1 in the know.)

If you dont want to upgrade and still want to get a sub and amp i am telling you it will sounds quite bad. Infact really bad. I went down that road and its expensive and annoying. Really ur headunit is the most important part. Its like putting a kia rio engine in a f1 car and expecting it to go fast and not just blow up.

Also i have a pair of rockford speakers and they sound decent but i would never buy the brand again. My experiences with them are that they do what they should and do it ok BUT they never go as hard as most of the other brands. Friend had a 15" rockford and a 12" hertz hooked up at the same time. They had the same power and everything and the hertz just blew the rockford away. It would go in and out alot more than the rockford and look like its "pumping" alot more. And these 2 subs both cost the same amount of money.

My advise, Stay away from the mass mass produced stuff. Also about alpine, Alot of people have been telling me that they are going the way of sony and fusion with mass producing lower quality stuff and selling more to make more money and inturn making a lower quality product so personaly i would stay away but alot of people sware by them so its all up to personal choice.

Sorry for the essay

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 2, 2006, 12:28AM »
Well see my speakers are TS-C1625  for the front and for the rear TS-A6961E they may not be the best but they sound good. My head unit is a last year model DEH-P470MP so yeah dnt no if its good or not but i like it and i pump out some nice SQ.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #10 on: Dec 2, 2006, 09:17AM »
Its pioneer premier from what people tell me they are quite good.

Offline trx_reece

« Reply #11 on: Dec 2, 2006, 08:09PM »
go for treo in the subs. get the treo csx  (http://www.treoonline.com/csx.html.) this sub can handle any amp power on the market at the moment. my mate has one and he gets 152 db at the moment. if you dont want to spend big dollars go for the Alpine SWX-1242D Type-X 12" Competition Subwoofer it has a rms power of 1000 and peak power of 3000 rms (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2444.html) also on this site you can get alot of wholesale direct prices. they are in us prices but i found that converted to aud it is still alot cheaper than here. good luck mate

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #12 on: Dec 2, 2006, 09:44PM »
Money Is no Object to me i am willing to spend 3 to 5 thousand on a system that can go good in competitions
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 2, 2006, 10:04PM »
go for treo in the subs. get the treo csx  (http://www.treoonline.com/csx.html.) this sub can handle any amp power on the market at the moment. my mate has one and he gets 152 db at the moment. if you dont want to spend big dollars go for the Alpine SWX-1242D Type-X 12" Competition Subwoofer it has a rms power of 1000 and peak power of 3000 rms (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2444.html) also on this site you can get alot of wholesale direct prices. they are in us prices but i found that converted to aud it is still alot cheaper than here. good luck mate

If you work out the price of the SWX-1242D sub with shipping to Aus from sonicelectronix.com it's $618.81AUD plus any customs that may be payable. I have that sub for $605AUD shipped with no extra costs.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alpine-SWX-1242D-12-Subwoofer-Never-Opened_W0QQitemZ300052653089QQihZ020QQcategoryZ18803QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

</end business plug>  :P

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #14 on: Dec 2, 2006, 10:16PM »
has anyone heard the alpine type x...... are they loud if amplified good cause thats all that matters to me.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 2, 2006, 11:03PM »
All subs should be amplified ;)

Ash, your Pioneer head unit would have had a blown ground track, caused by something (amp?) not being grounded properly. If Pioneer head units are installed properly with nice secure grounds they don't have this problem.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #16 on: Dec 2, 2006, 11:09PM »
If Pioneer head units are installed properly with nice secure grounds they don't have this problem.

I agree 100%, my pioneer (although cost me $1400) never had any issues regarding ground noise through amps until my car was caught in a flood. Then i had issues with its power supply but still no extra noise through any speakers (all amped).
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline trx_reece

« Reply #17 on: Dec 3, 2006, 05:34PM »
Money Is no Object to me i am willing to spend 3 to 5 thousand on a system that can go good in competitions
if going in comps make sure you have a good head unit with pleanty of tuning options. most people try to make their stereos loud for spl or even good for sq but their head units are the whole let down in a system.

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #18 on: Dec 3, 2006, 06:47PM »
Ok so A good Head unit is always a start. But i just wanna know some good brands for subs and amps thats all im curious about sorry to be rude bout it. 1 more question i have heard that some monoblock amps can run two subs is this true???
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #19 on: Dec 3, 2006, 06:57PM »
Yeah mono block amps can run more than one sub. But you have to make sure you wiring the system properly. So as an example, if your amp is say 500w rms @ 2ohm then you'll need the load of your subs to equal 2 ohm.

An example for you.

System has:

500w monoblock at 2 ohm
2 x 300 wrms subs at 4 ohm.

if you wire the subs in parallel you will get a 2 ohm load
if you wire the subs in series then you will get an 8 ohm load

The ohm rating on subs cannont change, so the amp will change to match your subs. So the idea is to match the subs to the amp so the amp will perform at its maximum.

Higher end subs you'll find will be dual voice coil which makes wiring a little bit harder but still very do-able.

using the same amp and dual voice coil subs you will get this:

500w monoblock at 2 ohm
2 x 300 wrms subs at dual 2 ohm.

Two ways you can wire this up.

The two voice coils can be wired in series with each other giving each sub a total 4 ohm load, connect the two together in series you'll get a 8 ohm load or in parallel you get a 2 ohm load.

Or wire the vioce coils in parallel giving you a 1 ohm load for each sub, giving the system a 2 ohm load in series or 1 ohm in parallel.

Thats just an example of how you can wire a system up.
« Last Edit: Dec 3, 2006, 07:00PM by Kranzy »
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #20 on: Dec 3, 2006, 08:47PM »
thanks guys this is good imformation. What subs and amps would you recommend though? i want to hear other peoples opions before i fork out heaps of money and my friends no nothing lol.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 3, 2006, 11:42PM »
There are dual monoblock amps too. Like the Hifonics XX Colossus II, it delivers 1100w x 2channels @ 2Ohms. Or as Kranzy said you can wire up the subs to achieve this. As i said before if i was building a SPL system i'd probably go with hifonics cos of the power to cost ratio.

Offline omad

• that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #22 on: Dec 4, 2006, 12:06AM »
DD linear subs are pretty much the bees knees for SPL competition.
The main benefit you'd bet out of a better head unit for SPL is that the pre-outs will have a higher voltage output for a stronger signal to the amp.

Rockford stuff IS good. I have one of their dirty great 4 channel amps.. it's pretty nuts. And their subs are also pretty hardcore from what I've seen and heard. I'm not sure on their standard speakers and HU... I think there's better out there for this. Definitely recommend the subs/amps though.

The other thing to really remember though, is that it's only half the equation. The other half is your car and how you utilise the setup. Getting the right ported and tuned box in the right spot for your car etc. To some degree it can be more about finding a sub to suit your enclosure setup/plans etc rather than getting a sub and then thinking about the enclosure. Just depends how far you want to go, really. Talking to a GOOD audio store that knows what they are doing and what they are on about is always a good place to start. Or I'd suggest sussing out your local competitions and talking to some of the competitors as to where to go to find a good place in the know.

As for the X-types, I think you're over streching, perticularly for an SPL setup. I think there's better to be had for SPL applications for a more reasonable price. The kicker solo-barrack square sups are also supposed to be very good for SPL.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #23 on: Dec 4, 2006, 08:48AM »
All subs should be amplified ;)

Ash, your Pioneer head unit would have had a blown ground track, caused by something (amp?) not being grounded properly. If Pioneer head units are installed properly with nice secure grounds they don't have this problem.

My cd player wasnt amplified when it was making bad noise. And when it was amped it just made it worse. If ppl had the money to pay for a $100-200 headunit to get installed "properly" then they would pay for a better headunit.

Legend Killer - We need to know what you are trying to go for. SQ - Overall sound quality that sounds nuts but wont give u big numbers in anything or SPL (Big Bass).

If you are going big bass then a couple (or just 1) dd sub will be perfect complimented by there amps will blow most others away. they will even help you make the box for them, http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/default.asp

If you are going for sq then i cant help u cuz i know next to nothing.
« Last Edit: Dec 4, 2006, 08:54AM by ashman01 »

Offline omad

« Reply #24 on: Dec 4, 2006, 09:10AM »
My cd player wasnt amplified when it was making bad noise. And when it was amped it just made it worse. If ppl had the money to pay for a $100-200 headunit to get installed "properly" then they would pay for a better headunit.

That'd be because the noise is being amplified... by the amplifier ;)  Speakers always sound richer, cleaner, clearer and the sound is more pronounced when running off an amp as opposed to a HU. It also does the same thing to adverse noise. As has been discussed here (I think?) previously, some of the older Pioneers had an issue with noise. It was a defect in the units, not the installation ;)
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #25 on: Dec 4, 2006, 11:04AM »
Yeah i want bass heaps of it but i also want it to sound  clean. I have been looking out the DD range for a while now but cannot find anywhere that sells them in australia so if anyone has sites it would be apprectiated.
TRX POWER!!!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #26 on: Dec 4, 2006, 12:48PM »
http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/forums/ - go on there and talk to DD_Phil. He is the importer for aus so he will be able to talk to u about where the closest retailer is to u or you might be able to get them straight from him.

I have some DLS speakers in my car and they are as clear as. I would recommend looking into them as well.

Offline omad

« Reply #27 on: Dec 4, 2006, 04:13PM »
Yeah i want bass heaps of it but i also want it to sound  clean. I have been looking out the DD range for a while now but cannot find anywhere that sells them in australia so if anyone has sites it would be apprectiated.

I would really recommend heading to a good established audio store and seeing if they will let you listen to a couple of their cars/customer cars to see what you're after. Or heading to an SPL day etc. Sound boards in a store are OK for a general idea, but it's in the car you really hear the difference of the setups. If you're going to outlay that much cash, you really want to make sure you're getting a good deal and also getting exactly what you want.

At the end of the day it's your ears. I mean, I think I have heaps of bass for what I want, but it only hits ~132db which is fairly small on the SPL scale. But I want it more for music listening than bass madness.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline trx_reece

« Reply #28 on: Dec 4, 2006, 08:32PM »
if you go for the class d mono make sure you use 4-0 guage power cable otherwise you will blow the voltage regulaters. this is caused by too much voltage drop.if you are not worried bout the $ i would personally go for the treo csx you wont be dissapointed.

Offline Legend Killer

« Reply #29 on: Dec 6, 2006, 09:52AM »
hey Xedus101 if your reading this could you Pm me a price of a nice two channel amp that has heaps of power that is hifonics mate i think i might go with that and two DD subs.
TRX POWER!!!