Author Topic: How good can some alarms be?  (Read 5881 times)

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
How good can some alarms be?
« on: Oct 23, 2006, 01:38PM »
Hey,

I dont think this is the write section but i do think it should be. Car alarms are just like car audio except the speaker doesnt go off untill some1 trys to get in.

With my ever increasing amount of money i have been investing if car audio (added another $1360 in the past 2-3 months). I was thinking that i despratly need an alarm.

I was looking on ebay thinking that i wouldnt be able to get anything cheap and i came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-REMOTE-ENGINE-START-CAR-ALARM-IMMOBILISER_W0QQitemZ140042849663QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31250QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I was like wow thats cheap and its pretty much all the features i want. So i thought i will go out to the shops and see what they car do and they are so expensive. Jb i was looking at $300, and straitfield was $250 and even jaycar was $100minimum.

My general understanding with alarms that you install yourself is they are all the same and you pay more for more features and support rather than better protection.
My question is, is it better to go with a shop $300 one that i dont want to spend that much money on or will the ebay 1 do the trick?

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: How good can some alarms be?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2006, 08:06PM »
Keep in mind that remote start alarms are much less secure in the way of immobilisation than any other alarm. Remote start is cool, and it makes noise, but if an experienced thief wants your car they won't have a hard time bypassing it.

If you're after it for security, you're best off getting a black wired two (or more) point immobiliser/alarm.

But if anyone wants your car that badly there's nothing stopping them from putting it on a tilt tray and towing it away.

Another thing to look at when you're buying cheap shit off ebay is how long it will last. I bought my alarm off ebay a while back and the one button on the remote is almost worn out, I can't find new remotes for sale anywhere, and one of the relays in the alarm module is a bit dicky.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2006, 09:28PM »
Don't touch the ebay alarms with a 10ft pole. Get yourself something that is australian standards. At least you can get spare remotes for it in australia, that thing on ebay is just a 1 off.

You can pick up auto watch for like $200, diy install, if u can hack it. This includes 2 point immobilisation.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:54PM »
Don't touch the ebay alarms with a 10ft pole. Get yourself something that is australian standards. At least you can get spare remotes for it in australia, that thing on ebay is just a 1 off.

You can pick up auto watch for like $200, diy install, if u can hack it. This includes 2 point immobilisation.

I would agree with that BUT, the ebay 1 is exactly wat im looking for. I want a flashing light and a beep wen i lock the car as a deterent. If some1 wants to rob you then they will but i dont want to hand them my car.

When i go all out (when i get money) i will install a good alarm but i just wanted to clarify that a dodgy ebay alarm will "do" the same things as a $200-300 alarm from jb or somthing.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:57PM »

my thoughts exactly, ebay alarms are SHIT. end of story.

get a ADR approved black wire alarm/immobiliser

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:25PM »
if you want false alarming and remotes that fail then go for the $70 quick fix. Thats our 2 cents.

edit: having seen this ebay shit first hand I strongly advise you against it. you always get what you pay for. I assure you it will stop working.

I install house alarms as a living and its amazing what some people will put up with (in regards to false alarming). I always tell them that if the alarm isn't set up to be user friendly most importantly, don't even bother trying to use it.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2006, 11:32PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2006, 01:01AM »
I've seen both bad and good ebay alarms, mostly bad though.

You do have to pay for quality.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #7 on: Oct 24, 2006, 12:58PM »
Yeha i realise that and thanks guys for putting me off them.

Will save up for a good alarm quickly.

Just one question? are these things any harder to setup than a full audio system. Cuz i have done heeps of them but no alarms so is it much different, eg do u think i should do it or (id rather not) pay some1.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2006, 04:49PM »
Pay Jono to do it.  :D

Seriously if he has time to help you organise that. He'll be cheaper than getting it done through a shop and you'll learn alot from him.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2006, 07:12PM »
he'll also put your alarm in while he is at it

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:16PM »
he'll also put your alarm in while he is at it

Thats whats hes putting in? If i read correctly. Ashman has put in audio but not alarms, and Kranz suggested Ashman pay Jono to put his alarm in? Unless im on another planet? LoL!
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:27PM »
I said pay jono to do it (meaning the alarm) but stick went down the dirty road and assumed ashman was paying for something else...bad case of bad humour  ::)
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:29PM »
I would happly pay jono to put it in as long as i could watch and help. Its shit like this that i want to learn.

P.s. I want the sex for free.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:31PM »
hehe

He lets you watch and learn. Ask questions too, hes more than happy to answer it for you. When he helped do my alarm i rekon i would have annoyed the shit out of him asking questions as to how and why he did things the way he did. He is a very good help and extreamly good at what he does.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2006, 11:57PM »
Haha good one stick, but I don't offer my services to males :P Sorry to disappoint ash :P

I'd be happy to give you a hand with your alarm, you know how to contact me once you've got it :)

Remember: the only stupid question is the one that is never asked.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:20AM »
Haha good one stick, but I don't offer my services to males :P Sorry to disappoint ash :P

i found that out the hard way..

Jono may be a youngin, but he is one of our best installers.

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2006, 01:16AM »
Keep in mind that remote start alarms are much less secure in the way of immobilisation than any other alarm. Remote start is cool, and it makes noise, but if an experienced thief wants your car they won't have a hard time bypassing it.

If you just wanted the alarm for the other features or because it was cheap, you could just not hook up the remote start.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:13PM »
It doesnt stop the alarm from being cheap shit though.......... can't polish a turd as they say

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: Oct 30, 2006, 09:18PM »
you can clear coat a turd with 2pack enamel though. not sure if it would turn shiny.

oh and adding to that. I put a cheap jaycar alarm in my work van cos i'm sick of my tools being stolen. it won't stop auto arming unless the key is in the ignition despite the door wire being properly connected. so everytime i open the canopy and forget to press the remote it blows my ears apart, but thats my fault for having 3 sirens i guess.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2006, 09:31AM »
In my opinion, alarms are only as good as the people around when they go off. If the others dont give a crap, no ones going to do anything or pay attention, so he could still get away with it quiet easily. Depends how easily scared off they are. What do you do when a house alarm goes off a couple of houses away? Now do you see what i mean?
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:17AM »
In my opinion, alarms are only as good as the people around when they go off. If the others dont give a crap, no ones going to do anything or pay attention, so he could still get away with it quiet easily. Depends how easily scared off they are. What do you do when a house alarm goes off a couple of houses away? Now do you see what i mean?

By the same token they're only as good as the people that install them. ie: installing the speaker in a hard to reach place in the engine bay so theives can't just pop the hood, rip it off and throw it away.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2006, 12:58PM »
Too right.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2006, 01:22PM »
By the same token they're only as good as the people that install them. ie: installing the speaker in a hard to reach place in the engine bay so theives can't just pop the hood, rip it off and throw it away.

That why you hide little screamers under the dash. IF they decide to throw away the under hood alarm, it might not be as audible to outsiders but once there in the car they wont be able to stand it long enough to do anything.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:57PM »
Right on Kranzoid, those piezo screamers can make you vomit if you give them long enough

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:04PM »
you reckon? I hear those things every day at work. I haven't felt sick yet.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2006, 11:45PM »
Right on Kranzoid, those piezo screamers can make you vomit if you give them long enough

Knowing you you've tried? :P
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Nov 1, 2006, 07:57AM »
you reckon? I hear those things every day at work. I haven't felt sick yet.

Yep, the ones we were playing with were crazy, it was almost too hard to move because they hurt the ears so much.
Knowing you you've tried? :P

Yes ;)