Author Topic: How do you get rid of engine noise comin from the speakers?  (Read 11683 times)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: How do you get rid of engine noise comin from the speakers?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 18, 2006, 12:54PM »
Yeah, as stick said blown ground tracks won't cause a loss of signal, it'll cause a heap of engine noise.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #31 on: Jun 18, 2006, 01:02PM »
just wait til you get engine noise through a pair of 12's  :o its loud! and hurties!  ::)

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #32 on: Jul 11, 2006, 11:02PM »
just to add a little more info to this post.
I've just gone through a big system upgrade in the last couple of days. that included moving the amp for the speakers from under the front seat to the boot for fancyness.

When i first starting driving it had BIG alternator whine from the speakers. I overcame this by re-running the RCA's separate from the power leads down the other side of the car, this dramatically reduced the amount of whine I had.

I think the only other way to completely eliminate this would to use shielded rca's. We actually extended the rca leads due to us not wanting to goto a shop and buy more.
Had we used shielded cable it probably wouldn't have any interference at all. 
Extending the RCA's isn't dodgy as long as you have good soldered connections and use heat shrink or similiar
I have used shielded/screened cable at work, it is legendary for phasing out interference.
« Last Edit: Jul 11, 2006, 11:15PM by rathies »
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #33 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:04AM »
Well get some of that shielded stuff and some RCA ends and re-do your cables!  ;D

I've never come across a system with substantial engine noise caused by running RCAs with power cables. It's always only ever been ground loops.

Sure, you'll get noise if you run your RCAs with your power wire, but if they're proper shielded or twisted-pair RCAs you won't get much noise.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #34 on: Jul 12, 2006, 12:07AM »
Sure, you'll get noise if you run your RCAs with your power wire, but if they're proper shielded or twisted-pair RCAs you won't get much noise.

There is still a little bit of noise, but thats me being picky. if it was at a level that bothered me i would've replaced it or wrapped the whole cable in foil and grounded it by now.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #35 on: Aug 14, 2006, 04:40PM »
not by build quality god no. But the sound is a teensy bit better for some reason. Like I said, I'd still buy another eclipse

You're a tripper, man. SQ is eclipse's calling card. Perhaps it's just you setting it up differently or something.

Eclipse > JVC by a mile, any day of the week.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #36 on: Aug 14, 2006, 09:58PM »

I've never come across a system with substantial engine noise caused by running RCAs with power cables. It's always only ever been ground loops.

A-men to that. After installing my Carputer i had a huge gound-loop, after a month of trying everything i could possibly think of I finally figured out that it was the most simplest of things... My gounding cable for the pc p/s wasn't big enough, I wacked on some 8awg and problem solved :) Made myself feel like a bit of an idiot.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #37 on: Aug 15, 2006, 12:07AM »
We live and we learn...

You've got to ground anything that is being run off an inverter or you'll get heaps of system noise. I've had to run ground leads out of X-boxes, PS2s and LCD TVs that were running off inverters in cars. As soon as you ground the chassis of the electrical equipment to the body of your car the noise disappears.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #38 on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:56PM »
to add to this. I just installed a response 2 farad Capacitor today. It has completely removed last little bit of engine noise I couldn't get rid of. My disco head, tail and dash lights haven't been completely phased out, It doesn't concern me because its only noticeable at stupidly high volume.

Offline don_makaveli

• antrx.com full member
  • yeaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #39 on: Oct 11, 2006, 04:25PM »
i installed mine my self and i never got any engine noise   but the rca run on tha right door side and opposite for the power from battery :P runnin a 12 inch pionner sub  pumps prty sxc  sony 52*4 hdeck

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2006, 01:48PM »
You're a tripper, man. SQ is eclipse's calling card. Perhaps it's just you setting it up differently or something.

Im running a new eclipse c3000 deck and its fecking awsume. Most real car audio places sware by them. Having owned a clarion and a pioneer id easy say that the eclipse is so much better sounding its not funny. And with there base model at $199 i dont no why more people dont have them.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2006, 01:02PM by ashman01 »

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #41 on: Oct 23, 2006, 04:13PM »
Does the deck actually LOOK good? I only went for my cheap strathies pioneer deck coz i liked the look of it.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #42 on: Oct 23, 2006, 06:32PM »

doesnt look bad i recon. But i dont think people are going to see it as being as good looking as a pioneer entry lvl.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2006, 12:59AM »
The look of Eclipse decks would grow on you.

They sound great and have enough features to keep you entertained.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ashman01

• post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2006, 01:01PM »
I love em, this is what i got,

The esn sercuity is really cool 2. Makes people think twice when they go to steal it.

Offline omad

« Reply #45 on: Oct 30, 2006, 01:08AM »
Does the deck actually LOOK good? I only went for my cheap strathies pioneer deck coz i liked the look of it.

I know it's important to some people, but I'll never really understand it. I don't look at my deck so much as I listen to it. (particularly while driving)

And just to recap - Eclipse FTW.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #46 on: Jan 7, 2007, 11:22AM »
bringing up an old topic, but just for reference for anybody else that might have engine noise problems. have you thought of the spark plugs? ngk make spark plugs with resistors to surpress noise. have a read http://www.ngkspark.com.au/faqs_index.htm on the right click "what are resistor spark plugs?"
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 7, 2007, 11:49PM »
Almost all automotive plugs these days are resistor plugs.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #48 on: Jan 8, 2007, 11:56AM »
In relation to Omad's post..

And how can you PROVE this? Sound Quality is all about a persons personal preference. If somethings fuzzy, of course it sucks, but how can you tell what sound quality is greater if the obvious signs arent there? Everyone's ears are different, as would have been said before. Im not saying Eclipse is bad or worse than JVC or anything, because i have heard Eclipse, but to me myself, it sounds the same as my cheapass Pioneer head unit unless i turn it up to stupidly high volumes, which i dont need to do in a space of 2m2 or whatever it is inside my car. Again, im not asking for a flaming, just pointing out that sound quality is a hard thing to prove a point on. I know its been done to death but that post just seemed like you had no ears for anything but Eclipse, which isnt a good start to offering an opinion.

And also, my car has absolutely no engine noise as of yet.. But eventually after i get it back on the road, im putting in twin 10's and an amp, should i be expecting noise after all that wiring goes through the car, or am i just lucky or something?

Quote from: BILL*69 on 23-10-2006, 14:43:48

I know it's important to some people, but I'll never really understand it. I don't look at my deck so much as I listen to it. (particularly while driving)

And just to recap - Eclipse FTW.
To me, the look played the most part. I have no idea why, but it does light up and catch your eye, and although you listen to it more than you look at it, like i said before mine sounds just fine to me, probably not to anyone else, but to me it sounds fine. So it had to look good for me to buy it. Which makes me wonder, why am i so inclined to buying h/u's that look good (in my eyes)? I have no idea why, but if, in my eyes, it doesnt look good, im not going to buy it ever. Maybe its just a maturity thing, and ill eventually begin to look the look of them decks maybe?
« Last Edit: Jan 8, 2007, 12:02PM by BILL*69 »
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #49 on: Jan 9, 2007, 10:08PM »
Its probably no good me telling omad this seeing he's a major keyboard cowboy when it comes to sq  :D

but... Some people just don't give a crap. Its all good to make recommendations when they ask but when they start talking about the deck looking good just push the back button at the top of the screen lol.

Offline omad

« Reply #50 on: Jan 10, 2007, 01:01AM »
In relation to Omad's post..And how can you PROVE this? Sound Quality is all about a persons personal preference. If somethings fuzzy, of course it sucks, but how can you tell what sound quality is greater if the obvious signs arent there? Everyone's ears are different, as would have been said before. Im not saying Eclipse is bad or worse than JVC or anything, because i have heard Eclipse, but to me myself, it sounds the same as my cheapass Pioneer head unit unless i turn it up to stupidly high volumes, which i dont need to do in a space of 2m2 or whatever it is inside my car. Again, im not asking for a flaming, just pointing out that sound quality is a hard thing to prove a point on. I know its been done to death but that post just seemed like you had no ears for anything but Eclipse, which isnt a good start to offering an opinion.

And also, my car has absolutely no engine noise as of yet.. But eventually after i get it back on the road, im putting in twin 10's and an amp, should i be expecting noise after all that wiring goes through the car, or am i just lucky or something?
To me, the look played the most part. I have no idea why, but it does light up and catch your eye, and although you listen to it more than you look at it, like i said before mine sounds just fine to me, probably not to anyone else, but to me it sounds fine. So it had to look good for me to buy it. Which makes me wonder, why am i so inclined to buying h/u's that look good (in my eyes)? I have no idea why, but if, in my eyes, it doesnt look good, im not going to buy it ever. Maybe its just a maturity thing, and ill eventually begin to look the look of them decks maybe?

I don't have ears for only eclipse, but I've heard mine and I've heard other decks/cars/setups... and I have to say that Eclipse is great for SQ from my own experience, and also if you have a read around and as I said before, SQ is Eclipse's calling card. You really should check what you're saying before you go laying down accusations. :)

As for SQ and people's opinions, well...

Say you grew up eating dog turd. All you've ever had is dog turd, all you ever knew was dog turd, so all you ever ate was dog turd.
Then some guy rocks up, "Check out this steak, man... with sauce!"
You then change your mind that the dog turd is crap, and this steak stuff is fantastic.

Same can be said for car audio/SQ. As you hear better and better things etc. and upgrade your system (once you've got the bug of course) then your taste/ear will develop for a good sound/good tune/good balance. And if you just think it's personal opinion and all that, my mum, sister and g/f can all pick that my car sounds good/better than others and also when I've made adjustments. So if they can tell the difference, I don't see why you couldn't.

As for asthetics? Well, if installing that dog turd (minus the smell) in my car made it sound like the angels were descending from heaven, by jove I'd have it in there!

But as I say, each to their own :)

PS - I'm not a keyboard cowboy! I'm just passionate  :D
If people want to buy a deck just because it looks nice, that's their own stupidity opinion  ;D

In all seriousness, if having the deck look good is important to you, then by all means... Just don't turn around and badger the guys that are recommending decks that produce better sound - the whole purpose of a deck in the first place :)
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007, 01:08AM by omad »
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #51 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:07AM »
I didnt badger them, but i have heard many Eclipse decks aswell, and to me at any Normal volume i see that they both have great sound. Maybe at higher, (very higher) volumes the Eclipse would prbably shoot in front, but if i wanted to blow the neighbourhood apart with quality i would look into it. And speakers play a large part aswell, if you match the ratings of your speakers it can all click together oh so well.

EDIT: I think a good blindfold test would be handy, just to see those that know sound quality and those that dont. As i said before, in my eyes its music and at any normal volume they all sound great.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2007, 07:11AM by BILL*69 »

Offline 4phuxake

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • My 5 year plan is to have a goal
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2007, 12:32PM »
Personally i think sq is up to the individual who is doing the listening unless your entering sq competition however
i have been a car audio installer for 6 years and have never heard killer sq from a headunit that  cost under $400
the best sq i've ever had the pleasure of owning was a pair of JL Audio 6in Splits on an alpine amp with a blaupunkt headunit and
a Kicker 10in sub on a Kicker amp and was judged 3rd place in a killer sq comp

On topic: Cheap leads or a bad earth is usually 95% of all engine noise always run power and rca leads at least 1m apart and if you can afford it always invest in the more expensive brand wiring kit (Stinger) it's worth it and always make sure you have a good earth for everything

Also some really smart people in car wiring decided most car makers can earth most speakers to the car and not the factory headunit and its fine for the factory system but as soon as u change one part you end up with a bad sounding mess so always try  and install your own wiring for all speakers

Offline tommmoe

• antrx.com junior member
  • [TOM-03S]
« Reply #53 on: Mar 7, 2007, 03:07PM »
isn't engine noise just interference from the cable not having enough shielding?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #54 on: Mar 7, 2007, 04:38PM »
kind of tom...

it can be induced from other power cables that let off EMR
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #55 on: Mar 7, 2007, 10:14PM »
On topic: Cheap leads or a bad earth is usually 95% of all engine noise always run power and rca leads at least 1m apart and if you can afford it always invest in the more expensive brand wiring kit (Stinger) it's worth it and always make sure you have a good earth for everything

I've never come across inducted engine noise that's audible at normal listening levels. However I have come across many cases of engine noise caused by ground loops that is audible. If you have problems with engine noise I would measure the voltage between the ground terminals on all of the components in the audio system and the chassis. There should be less than 30mv between audio components and ground, and less than about 50-100mv between the battery and ground, and the alternator and ground with the engine running.

Also some really smart people in car wiring decided most car makers can earth most speakers to the car and not the factory headunit and its fine for the factory system but as soon as u change one part you end up with a bad sounding mess so always try  and install your own wiring for all speakers

I have NEVER found factory speaker wires that were grounded to the body of the car. I've installed hundreds (thousands?) of head units and amps using factory speaker wiring, and never had them go into protection mode. However they will go into protection mode if the speaker wiring uses a common ground (not actually grounded to the chassis, and this is only in old (pre-90s) cars). So I'm not sure what drugs you are on, but they must be good.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!