Author Topic: Battery Relocation  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Battery Relocation
« on: May 17, 2006, 02:23PM »
Hey guys I'm not 100% sure where to post this, I thought this would be the best place as it does have a little to do with my system.

I'm doing a battery relocation, putting my battery in my boot. I went out and bought some stuff for doing it today. This is how it will go.

currently there is 2 8guage wires and 1 4gauge wire going to my battery in the engine bay, these will be not connected to a distribution block which will be connected to a 0gauge wire running to my boot which will then be connected to a fuse holder then from the fuse holder to my battery with 0gauge again. The battery will be earthed through 0gauge somewere in the boot. I know 0gauge is proberly overkill but its better to have too large wire than too small wire.

The problem I'm having is deciding what amperage fuse I should have in my fuse holder? Can anyone give me a suggestion maybe a 150amp fuse is that enough?

Or is there somehow I can work this out?
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
Re: Battery Relocation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 03:54PM »
I'm not following, are you relocating battery to your boot?

If so, just run one 4G from engine to the battery in the boot. Since the draw for your engine isn't very large a 4G run is perfectly fine. 4G will also be fine for the amps, if the battery is in the boot since the run is only small (1-2m). 0G would be really really overkill :P

Put a 40-60amp fuse (close to battery) on the 4G running to the engine. As for fuse size to your amps, that depends on how big your amps are. Easiest way is to add up the amount of fusing on your amps and use a fuse to suit. So ir both you amps have 40amps worth of fusing on each, then thats 80amps total. Use an 80amp fuse or similar :)
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 06:21PM »
Yes im relocating the battery to my boot and I know where to put the fuse. I just wanted to know what amp fuse to run on the wire running from the boot to the engine. So 40-60 for the engine is that right?

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:05PM »
id use a 100a fuse to be sure.

is the distrobution block the fused type?? if not fuse it

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:12PM »
Doesn't really matter what size fuse you use, but I would use the smallest possible. Definately no bigger than 100amp...
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 11:05PM »
Thanks guys. 2 thumbs for that help.

Offline emuisme

• antrx.com full member
  • Slack kid on the block
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 06:04PM »
ummmm on the issue of fuse size, how much current dose your starter motor draw?  I thought that was in the realm of 100A in rush?  I thought that would probably be your biggest single current draw, everything else the alternator should be able to reduce the current required.  in fact you definantly wouldn't want a fuse smaller than your alternator size.
I spent my money on sothern comfort and speeding fines, the rest I wasted.

Born to drive, forced to work!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 01:42AM »
I would go 2ga with a 200 amp or so fuse, and carry a spare fuse in the car. Starter motors are rather power-hungry indeed, and if that main fuse blows none of your electrics will work.

Alot of people don't fuse the cable to their engine bay, reason being the starter motor draws that much current.

If you want cheap cable, go to a welding supplier and get some of the cable they use for welding leads.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 01:45AM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 11:18AM »
I will be getting cables from a welding supply shop. Now I'm concerned with fuse size, I don't want to run without a fuse because I want saftey. Has anyone done this before?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 12:07PM »
I thought most people didnt run a fuse from boot to engine bay but run it through an isolator switch?

Im not sure but there might be isolator switches which act like a saftey switch on your house. Too much current and it clicks off, then all you have to do is click it back to on and away you go. No need for extra fuses then...
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 02:22AM »
Im not sure but there might be isolator switches which act like a saftey switch on your house. Too much current and it clicks off, then all you have to do is click it back to on and away you go. No need for extra fuses then...

Yes there are Kranzy, but good luck finding one that will handle enough current to run a starter motor. And if you could find one it'd be super-expensive.

If you're running 0ga cable, in the event of a short circuit I reckon the battery would go flat/self destruct before the cable heats up enough to start a fire.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2006, 02:28AM »
ok I got a 150 and I also have a 80. Ill see how it goes and ill keep some hex keys in the car so I can run it without a fuse till I get home if I blow a fuse.

I'm getting a battery box and 2gage wire tomorrow, will do install tomorrow aswell. Fingers crossed it will all work out.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2006, 11:28AM »
I also thought it needed an isolation switch so power can easily be stopped, a fuse wont do this unless it blows. I think you need one legally but im  ot 100%. I thought I read it on here somewhere.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 10:47PM »
Case study: R32-onwards GT-whatever skylines: do they have an isolator switch at the rear-mounted battery? Not that I'm aware of ;) They have a fuse box but the cable to the starter isn't fused.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #14 on: Jan 4, 2007, 10:33AM »
Sorry bout grave digging, but id rather keep all this consise in the same thread.

I was looking through VPW Performance catalogue, and stumbled across this jem of an item,

http://www.vpw.com.au/productgroup.asp?CatID=0&PrdGrpID=3313

A full battery relocation kit, for 130 bucks! Im looking into this due to my want and need for a passenger side turning light cold air intake, but the battery would get in the way.

What do you guys reckon?

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #15 on: Jan 4, 2007, 11:46AM »
Looks ok, its not fused or anything going by the picture.

Maybe shoot them an email to get a complete list of componants.

"Noss is GOD"