Author Topic: Pintara wont start. ECU Codes for AirTemp and CoolantTemp  (Read 3226 times)

Offline h4inf

• antrx.com junior member
My pintara has been going great for ages now :) So I get in my car after work, turn the key, cranks over but just wouldn't start... didn't sound like it was getting any ignition at all, just kept cranking normal speed.... but i could smell fuel a lot after this cranking...

So I pulled the fuel fuse and cranked it, after a second it started up and purred like normal.. but naturally with no fuel supply it died after about 10 secs.... so i thought id flood it again, then start without fuse, put the fuse in just before it dies and maybe shell be ok... well not so. as soon as the fuse went in it died..

RACV Came and he did thought it was overfuelling or ignition. inspected dizzy cap and rotor, all deemed good. and since i was getting ignition with fuel fuse out it didnt seem like thatd be it. then checked vac line to fuel pressure reg.. no problem.. then he squeezed the incoming fuel hose while i cranked it.. and when he was squeezing quite hard it actually started although ran really badly. so seems like some sort of overfuelling at this stage, either the pressure is too high, maybe fuel reg failure or blockage...

so next we take off the return hose from the pressure reg that goes back to the tank.. turn the ignition on for a sec and sure enough heaps of fuel sprays out, so no blockage or problem in the FPR.

got a tow home and finally had dinner at about 11pm... then back to work troubleshooting.

checked the intake for any blockages, air filter.. all clear and clean. no problem.

next did ECU diagnostic codes..
13 - Coolant Temp Sensor
41 - Air Temp Sensor (Integrated into the Air Flow Meter)

So following the manuals directions I tested the resistance across specific pins ON the sensors themselves, then I tested them at the ECU connector end of the harness with it all plugged in.. basically i have ruled out that the harness is at fault, and both sensors are operating within their specifications.

This is now boiling down to the ECU being at fault I think..... but wanted to check if anyone had seen this sort of thing before.. and how common is it for the ECU to give up?

The other thing.. if the ignition has been off for more than about 15 mins and i turn it to on, then leave it, i hear the fuel pump come on, then it stops (which is normal if you dont start it), then after about 5-10 secs or so, the injectors GO MAD... they go crazy for a few seconds.

See video of the injectors go mad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cdor3pCUPI

Any thoughts would be great, but at this stage I am thinking I should get another ECU... And hopefully it's not anything external that has caused it to fail.

Cheers,

Paul.
« Last Edit: Feb 6, 2009, 12:51AM by h4inf »

Offline h4inf

• antrx.com junior member
Re: Pintara wont start. ECU Codes for AirTemp and CoolantTemp
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8, 2009, 01:13AM »
Just posting up to confirm it was the ECU :-)

$48 including a warranty... not bad!

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
Re: Pintara wont start. ECU Codes for AirTemp and CoolantTemp
« Reply #2 on: Mar 1, 2009, 08:21PM »
just going through the pintara stuff, and I see a solution posted to a problem. + Karma.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!