Author Topic: Black Box  (Read 4033 times)

Offline ca20e

• antrx.com junior member
  • 87 Pintara - Sedan - Manual - CA20E - RWD
Black Box
« on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:53AM »
Just wondering what the black box is thats mounted under the AFM / Aircleaner, is this the computer?
its well sealed and the holes where the screws are have been filled with silicone, it has a group of wires coming out as one that goes to a single plug that connects to the wiring loom....

I found this as i was taking off the AFM to clean this "wire" which i have read so much about, but there is no wire??  all i could see was a plastic thimble like thing sticking up...and that was clean...  ???

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Black Box
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:23AM »
I doubt it'd be the computer, could you get a pic of it?
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline ca20e

« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2006, 11:50AM »
Too late now, everything is put back in....but i have been informed that the computer is in the car near the passengers feet, i guess thats the error code thing...

Offline Gangstanza

• Iexbeta
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2006, 12:21PM »
error code thing?  ???

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2006, 03:24PM »
the computer's in behind that plastic panel in front of the passenger door - that's what the two plugs in it are for, access to the LED error code display and the selector screw.

How big's the box you're talking about, because the engine computer's about the size of a CD ROM drive.

been out and looked at my car - it's about the size of a deck of cards, yeah? with 6 wires out of it. Not sure... will look at the wiring diagram
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline ca20e

« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2006, 09:03AM »
the computer's in behind that plastic panel in front of the passenger door - that's what the two plugs in it are for, access to the LED error code display and the selector screw.

How big's the box you're talking about, because the engine computer's about the size of a CD ROM drive.

been out and looked at my car - it's about the size of a deck of cards, yeah? with 6 wires out of it. Not sure... will look at the wiring diagram

Yeah that's it, it's well sealed too, love to see what's in it, with my luck it would self destruct if i opened it   :)

The error code doodah is not always truthful i've been told ?

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2006, 09:24AM »
a couple of things...

the error code doodah won't bring up an error code unless it's getting absolutely no signal from what it's looking for. If it's not completely stuffed, the computer reports it as fine.

Secondly, your car doesn't have the wire thing that you hear so much about. The MAF sensor works differently in CA20 engines... Take the air cleaner off, and reach inside the box, and there's a flap covering the bottom part of the air pipe. That's your MAF in the CA20. computer measures how far the flap is pushed back.

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2006, 04:05PM »
okay - the answer to the original idea of this post.

The little black box, about the size of a deck of cards is a.... Pressure Regulator Control Module. I don't know any more than that - it's all I could find in the Gregorys.