Author Topic: twin CAI?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
twin CAI?
« on: Apr 3, 2011, 04:22PM »
would there be any benefit in running a twin CAI on N/A . i figured it cant do much harm expect maybe turbulence?
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: twin CAI?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3, 2011, 05:33PM »
Unless you have twin TB (i.e VQ35HR) than wouldn't be worth it really. I know some cars will have one CAI with 2 side by side filters off short intakes which does work somewhat however having say one intake near the bar and the other behind the headlight or something would result in longer drawing of air.
« Last Edit: Apr 3, 2011, 05:37PM by Habibosaurus »
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Apr 3, 2011, 05:47PM »
how about shortening the intake shifting it back toward the firewall and running an arc filterbox? i think i have seen similar setup in an evo?

skype_shannan801

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 3, 2011, 05:57PM »
I've seen a fair few Skylines with that sort of setup. Seemed to go alright 9seemed to be a pattern with one cai, 2 intakes hooked up with 2x HKS Mushrooms). I've seen them also directly connected to the turbo. My concern is making the intake too long (taking off at lights will be fun).

If your really keen on this just mock up a temp plastic (not PVC) setup to see what its like before going all out.

Your still running the VE right? Are you going F/I down the track?

Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Apr 3, 2011, 06:18PM »
yep going on the VE. not sure about the FI yet , may go to 2.2ltr and keep NA , not sure.
might try it with an open stock box and K&N pannel...
« Last Edit: Apr 3, 2011, 06:20PM by pedro666 »

skype_shannan801

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 3, 2011, 06:35PM »
Are you using the stock intake to the box?

I guess whichever way you go, needs to be well insulated. Extreme measures would be steel piping with insulation around (rubber than possibly thermal wrapping etc).

Lol I may be selling my Drift Carbon Charger kit so will put that in the F/S section if so.

Are you going to keep the same T/B?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Apr 3, 2011, 06:42PM »
only read the first post.. but, there would be an advantage to twin cai's if you were making enough power to warrant the additional intake, along with a dual tb. maybe just go quads shannon? you have a map sensor on your car right? no need to a cai, just run open quads ;D

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Apr 3, 2011, 08:54PM »
i am leaning toward quads still and 2.2, don't know when.
i was just going to try the open stock box before i buy an ARC CAI box and some stainless tube

here is the ARC
http://automotive-corner.blogspot.com/2008/01/firstly-arc-super-induction-box-was.html

was thinking similar spot as this type r.

« Last Edit: Apr 3, 2011, 09:02PM by pedro666 »

skype_shannan801

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 3, 2011, 09:35PM »
Boxes are good, my only gripe is location when its closer to the engine/firewall. No matter how well insulated, the general ambience though hot all over is a bit more higher there. Not saying it wouldn't work, just it be a bit more efficient away from that area.

Where does your current box sit? If your dead keen on the box, I've seen the box setup wherby its modded to fit in the corner near the headlight and pretty much sealed off at all corners I.E lid goes right up to the headlight.

Remember metal is a conductor.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Apr 3, 2011, 09:53PM »
currently i have stock box with k&n panel running 3" duct(used in the v8 touring cars for brake cooling i think) all the way to the fog-light, fog-light removed and duct intake sealed off. i too am concerned about the heat , but its pretty clear there all the way to the road. the ve runs real hot. am thinking about changing the vents in the bonnet. i will do the mock up and see what happens..
« Last Edit: Apr 4, 2011, 10:03AM by pedro666 »

skype_shannan801