Author Topic: tightening the handbrake  (Read 1814 times)

Offline bungs

• post whore
tightening the handbrake
« on: Feb 1, 2003, 10:56AM »
well i've realized that only the rear left wheel locks up when the handbrake is yanked on, (don't ask me how i know ;)), so, i was wandering if it were easy to tighten the right side so both lock up? maybe the left is only supposed to lock up?? i dunno, havent check it throughly yet. Hopefully it's as easy as tightening a couple of screws or something. ???

Offline Adam J-TRX

• antrx.com senior member
Re:tightening the handbrake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1, 2003, 01:05PM »
The U12 is supposed to have a self-adjusting handbrake. You just pull it up and down, say, 10 times with the button in. However, you can adjust the distance needed to engage it:

[ From the Gregory's Pintara/Corsair Autofix manual ]

1. Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it on chassis stands.
NOTE: On models with rear disc brakes, ensure the rear caliper handbrake levers are resting against their stops. If the levers are not against the stops, back off the handbrake lever adjusting nut until they are and then dpress the brake pedal firmly several times before carrying out the handbrake adjustment.
2. Remove the centre console to gain access to the handbrake lever adjusting nut.
3. Tighten the adjusting nut until the handbrake level pull is 9 - 11 notches.
4. WIth the handbrake released, check that the rear wheels are not binding.
5. Check the handbrake operation with the vehicle parked on an incline.
6. Check the handbrake warning light comes on when engaged.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 1, 2003, 03:16PM »
If you've got drums on the back, your rear brake probably need to be adjusted.  This is easy to do. Take the rear wheels off, take the drums off, and you'll see an adjuster thing.  Play with that until u get a slight drag between the shoes and the drum.  Now when u put ur hand brake on, it'll only go up a couple of clicks  8)
« Last Edit: Feb 1, 2003, 03:17PM by aussie-gli »
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 6, 2003, 08:35AM »
i tried pulling it up 10 times, now i'll test it some time and see if there 2 black marks not one ;D