Author Topic: Outer CV Boots  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
Outer CV Boots
« on: Sep 9, 2002, 07:27AM »
Today i come home, right hand side wheel is covered with grease, i remove the wheel to find my outer cv boot has perished on a part of it.. so far ive just gaffa taped it all up for temporary fix  ;) seems to be working good, i just want to stop sand and shit gettin in there..

anyone know of any prices for cv boots?? do they come in a set or can u buy one each seperately? id rather just buy the one, as the other outer one seems to be in mint condition.

any help be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

-Joczy
« Last Edit: Jan 1, 1970, 10:00AM by 1043326800 »
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
Re: Outer CV Boots
« Reply #1 on: Sep 9, 2002, 10:55AM »
Jozcy...had the same problem with mine!
Can't exactly what steps I took to fix it.....I think it was cheaper in the long run to get two boots......and cv joints, no use replacing one, the other would have to be done soon after. I think, believe it or not......I got a whole new drive shaft assembly. Cheapest that way. In with one, out with the other. I could be wrong, I remember it being really weird but heaps benefical from for the price. Ill have to go check my receipt.

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2002, 12:41AM »
I replaced my cv boots the last service... the rubber was on the way out. The cv joints were fine so only replaced the boots. I think they were either $40 or $80 a pair. Pretty cheap...definately do it, before you get dirt/water in the cv joints as these cost a lot more to fix.
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2002, 04:58AM »
thanks for the advice champs, the cv's are in good condition, so i dont think ill replace them anytime soon, just what for that notorious clicking sound under hard lock ;)

im gunna get in contact with a spare parts mob that supply parts for the ford corsair ahhh sacrilage i know!!, as im not  big fan of nissans sumtimes exorborent prices and this mob sell aftermarket standard spare parts for the ford range.. so i hope they can help me out with the pintara :P so ill be looking at 40-80 bucks a pair, hmm sounds good to me for what they do :)

all i gotta do is wait a week till me boss gets back so he can help me remove old with the new, so i hope my dodgey bandaid on the cv will last that long ;)

-Joczy
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline Awesome_TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2002, 11:41AM »
I did one of mine with a mate for $30 all up and on the coast there is a place that can do a CV for $120.

Offline nizgurl

• antrx.com senior member
  • You Fool!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2002, 06:46PM »
Well, since mine died on the weekend  :'(  I decided to do the same as Mitza.  Just replace the whole lot.  That way you're sure that nothing else will go wrong for a while.
Here's 40 cents. Call me when you've got a clue.