Author Topic: knocking/clunking noise  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
knocking/clunking noise
« on: Oct 25, 2002, 05:41AM »
hello

while driving and mainly over bumps, potholes and bad roads or some driveway surfaces the front suspension, (i think ... some where in the front ) makes a loud deep metal to metal knocking noise.
i have wondered whether it is the tie rod ends....mechanic said it may be steering rack

I had the shocks done about 1.5 years ago.... and almost a year ago i drove over a concrete centre island thing which was about 6 inches high ( i know sounds dumb but u need to know full story)....this left the torsion bar? bracket bent backwards so the bar is slightly out of alignment......could this be part of making the noise??? .....and yes i still haven't fixed it cause it seemed ok and didn't want to spend any more $$

Anyone got any ideas...?....its also one of these noises that no one else can hear ....pain in the arse  

thanks from concerned pintara owner hehe
« Last Edit: Jan 1, 1970, 10:00AM by 1043326800 »

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
Re: knocking/clunking noise
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2002, 07:28AM »
check each ends of the front torsion bar, there should be 1 washer and one rubber above, and one washer and one rubber underneath holding it onto the ball joint which connects to the front suspension arm.. if the rubbers break down, the torsion bar hits the suspension arm making that harsh sound as u mention, also makes the sound under hard braking too.. have a look at these, easy to fix and u wont believe how better ur car handles ;)

the rubbers went when i got stuck on a speed hump, dont ask!! and yeh this is what caused the noise to come along..

chek em out and yeh hopefully this solves ur problem

-Joczy
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2002, 08:28AM »
thanks i will have a look. hopefully that is the problem....i thik i might fix the bracket at the same time ...... :)

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2002, 12:58PM »
well.....3 things can come from this
1. noise that sound like that arent good
2. driving over concret centre islands arent good either.
3. sounds like you have a problem

Offline deanx0r

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2002, 10:38PM »
I was having the exact same problem as Resin89Ti a couple of days ago, except from the rear end of the car. Turned out to be exactly what Joczy has suggested, the rubber had popped out from the right side of the rear torsion bar when I went through a couple of rather large holes in a dirt road. It continued to make this horrible metal on metal sound. Was as simple as popping the rubber back in and tightening the bolts up :)

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2002, 02:47AM »
Yeah I have had the same thing happen as deanxOr, related to potholes the first time and speed bumps the second. MAkes a terrible noise.
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)