Author Topic: $50 Paintjob  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
$50 Paintjob
« on: Jun 25, 2006, 01:31AM »
Hmm, don't laugh!

Spotted this on OCAU (Motoring > Tech). And from the looks of it, some guy over on a forum made a thread asking others about where to get a good paintjob for a good price. This one bloke posted how he did a few cars using a product called Rustoleum or Tremclad or somesuch, a paint which helps prevent rusting on surfaces, and doesn't require primers or anything I think, which cost like $20 and he spent an extra $30 on a roller, with some high quality, high-density-foam rolling things, miniral spirits (to thin the paint) and a couple of other things. Could also be sprayed on I believe, but he didn't do that to some of the cars as it's wasteful, messy and time consuming.

I don't know. All I care about is that, if it's true, an amazing job for so few bucks. The colours look a bit flat to me, but it's said that enough buffing and it'll be right. You could probably go a clearcoat too. And the paint is meant to be very durable.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/

Results

Interesting.

Offline VladIvanovic

• antrx.com junkie
    • My Company/Personal Website
Re: $50 Paintjob
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2006, 02:03AM »
that is surprisingly good actually! :-X

its no pimp-my-ride with all the extra colours and coats and layers, but for what it is, its bloody good!
even cheaper then properly cutting and polishing your car :S (well almost)

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2006, 02:14AM »
Well he quite clearly says that proper surface prep is still essential. Straightening the body up, getting rid of any rust, (wet-)sanding, so hmm.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2006, 03:35AM »
one of the most interesting things i have ever seen in my life!

Im seriously gunna consider this when the good ole girl is up for a "re-spray"....

+Karma mate, for sure!

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline emuisme

• antrx.com full member
  • Slack kid on the block
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2006, 11:55AM »
It would prob be nearer to $100 - $150 over here, but it's still a fantastic job for bugger all dosh, if you have the time.

one of the most interesting things i have ever seen in my life!

I'm seriously gunna consider this when the good ole girl is up for a "re-spray"....

+Karma mate, for sure!

couldn't word it better myself.  seeing as I have a couple of spare (mangled, but otherwise good) doors in my shead I might even look in to it myself.

hmmmmmm....
their website says that dy-mark is the local distributor in Australia for diy.

Australia
INDUSTRIAL
Superior Coatings Australia
Factory 14, 8-9 Gabrielle Court
Bayswater North, Victoria 3153
Australia
(61) 3-9761-7331 Phone
(61) 3-9761-7337 Fax
(61) 0418-354-315 Mobile

Mr. Iain McEwin
Managing Director
Email: [email protected]

CONSUMER (DIY)
Dy-Mark (Aust.) Pty. Ltd.
89 Formation Street
Wacol, Queensland 4076
Australia

(61) 7 3271 2222 Phone
(61) 7 3271 3716 Fax

Mr. Ben Gillespie
Director
Web: www.dymark.com.au
I spent my money on sothern comfort and speeding fines, the rest I wasted.

Born to drive, forced to work!

Offline Fusion U12

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2006, 10:30PM »
give it a year and this nice paint will be faded....im willing to put some money on it its just too good to be true

If one of you blokes do decide to take me on then i suggest you keep it garaged all the time....because im telling you now no 50$ paint job is durable....let alone legit

but prove me wrong fellaz

ill lay down 100$ for a bet haha now whos willing to respray there pride and joy for 50$

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #6 on: Jun 27, 2006, 12:57AM »
That guy reckons those paintjobs on those cars pictured are a good 5+ years old and he claims they look as good as they day he painted them. The particular paint is meant to be very durable.

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jun 27, 2006, 04:27AM »
if the paint was so good why are we only just hearing of it now when it's 5 years old?
it seems a little too good to be true.
I'll be skeptical until the pro's start using it...
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #8 on: Jun 27, 2006, 04:48AM »
Because it isnt a car paint.

Read the forum, and what he says about it. He specifically mentions its use on industrial farm equipment, railings and other high ware areas.

It seems more feasable to use than something out of a spray gun if you want mho. Also remember its meant to be BRUSHED on, not sprayed. Think about the stuff you use on your house, and tell me that will fade in a year? I dont recall a tin of house paint having to cost 4 grand before it was classified as any good.

Like they say, its lateral thinking, and seems quite feasable...

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:29PM »
I guess...
maybe its easier to notice when you're right up close to it... I know the tractor has different paint on it than my u12...
but rolled on paint? geez you're have to be good before you touched your pride and joy with it...
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #10 on: Jun 27, 2006, 07:49PM »
Keep in mind that he does thin the paint considerably before using it.

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2006, 10:18AM »
Its proberly "Good from far, but far from good"

You will see that its been painted with a roller up close.

I saw a skyline R31 like this in HPI magazine looked good from far away but up close looked like it was painted with a roller.

If you want to do a cheep respray buy some cans of matt black.
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2006, 02:48AM »
I've seen quite a few flawless enamel paint jobs that have been brushed onto cars. The idea is you paint the car in the sun when it's warm, and pre-warm the paint. The brush strokes literally flow out of the paint.

The paint does look very shallow though.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Ammerty

• post whore
  • GT - AHHHHH!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2007, 06:43PM »
i know this post is old but i fount it while searching for tips on respraying cars as i am gonna either be doing one myself soon or going pro, but i just wanted to bring this up coz im gonna buy a couple of tins of the stuff n see how it looks if i do it the same way the guy is talking about, i will post up pics as soon as i get my hands on a can n get it all done n dry.
Quote from: SECLUDED

When are you not drunk Ammerty...lol  ::) ;D

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #14 on: Feb 9, 2007, 06:38PM »
hmm, not bad! do any of use know much more about this?

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2007, 01:35PM »
I have been considering painting my project car at some stage.  However, I very much like being able to treat the exterior of the car a bit rough - it's silly to get all precious about something that must endure so much exposure to the elements.  This being the case, I want a durable finish that's going to be easy to touch up, or that hides imperfections well.  To this end, I have been considering a hammer-finish paint.  It's not made specifically for cars, but like the paint Rake's found, it's meant for high wear/exposure situations.

http://www.trimite.com/images/109a.jpg

The only problem is getting it in the colour I want (dark purple), and I need to find out whether the increased wind resistance due to the non-smooth surface will be significant enough to dissuade me from doing it.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline emuisme

• antrx.com full member
  • Slack kid on the block
« Reply #16 on: Apr 22, 2007, 07:04PM »
I need to find out whether the increased wind resistance due to the non-smooth surface will be significant enough to dissuade me from doing it.

We use a silver hammer finish on relay panels at work, and although it looks like it's not smooth, it fairly well is.   they seem to get the hammer Finnish by mixing some sort of clear stuff with the paint in such a way that they separate when you are spraying, so it might be paint or the "clear" paint that cover a given area.  I think a buff and a polish and it would be smooth.

I have no idea how you would get the color you want, as we can't even get the gold color we use to use anymore.  good luck.

PS sorry about the old thread.
I spent my money on sothern comfort and speeding fines, the rest I wasted.

Born to drive, forced to work!

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2007, 07:55PM »
We use a silver hammer finish on relay panels at work, and although it looks like it's not smooth, it fairly well is.   they seem to get the hammer Finnish by mixing some sort of clear stuff with the paint in such a way that they separate when you are spraying, so it might be paint or the "clear" paint that cover a given area.  I think a buff and a polish and it would be smooth.

I have no idea how you would get the color you want, as we can't even get the gold color we use to use anymore.  good luck.

PS sorry about the old thread.

No problems about the old thread - in fact this is an excellent example of how you should post in an old thread  :)

If you are right about the smoothness, then that heartens me a bit - I had sorta given up on the idea due to the possibility of wind resistance, and the colour difficulty.  But if all I have to worry about is the colour, so much the better.

Now, red and blue make purple, right?  That might be my only option :P

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2007, 08:28PM »
Do you think that you will get noticable wind resistance from the paint?

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2007, 09:45PM »
Do you think that you will get noticable wind resistance from the paint?

You... hey... what?  ???

I need to find out whether the increased wind resistance due to the non-smooth surface will be significant enough to dissuade me from doing it.

We use a silver hammer finish on relay panels at work, and although it looks like it's not smooth, it fairly well is. 

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #20 on: Apr 22, 2007, 10:10PM »

If you are right about the smoothness, then that heartens me a bit - I had sorta given up on the idea due to the possibility of wind resistance, and the colour difficulty. 

I thought you were saying you didn't think you would do that paint job because of the possibilty of wind resistance. I was asking if you think the wind resistance would be noticable.....I'm starting to get really confused... ???

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #21 on: Apr 22, 2007, 11:40PM »
Ah, well we are asking the same question then, but emuisme has provided some of an answer with the revelation that hammer finish paint is actually quite smooth, or would become so with a bit of buffing.  Smooth = negligible wind resistance.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2007, 12:09AM »
Ah good, so it didnt seem like i was puffing on the magic dragon??  ;D Thanks for clearing that up for me.