Author Topic: An impacting read  (Read 10095 times)

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
Re: An impacting read
« Reply #30 on: Oct 23, 2008, 01:02AM »
Hands up.
Crashed a car and wrote it off very near home. Allegedly doing 70+ only coz the cars engine was revin hard as i had changed to 2nd gear. That pissed me off the most, a resident claiming i was speeding so fast when all he could hear were engine noise. This bloke was inside his house the whole time.
Spun the U13. Hills rd with sand on the exit off the corner,blind part, and it had just started lightly raining. Travelling less then 40kph. downhill right off camber. I have driven this corner a few times before and lots since then and it was only this 1 instance that i have had problems with my car.
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline getaroundcar

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #31 on: Oct 23, 2008, 02:45AM »
and didn't land on the roof. 2 km slower or faster we would of been dead.
we where both very lucky. my mate not so lucky, the only thing we could use to get paint out was thinners. his hair started to die. shaved it a month later. we both had hair down to our arse. i didn't get a drop on mine.
wasn't even my car. it was a company car. got fired. then when i won the case got offered my job back. the judge said there should be more people like me rep themselves and tell it how it is. yes music was blasting too during the flips( respect walk, pantera) lol it was a long time ago yet seemed like yesterday.

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #32 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:53AM »
Well, seeing as this is a bit of a confession thread... *raises hand*

Damp road, had just been raining (was actually on a WANTRX cruise). Turning right off a two lanes each way road into a side road, was going slightly too fast (maybe 30kmh) and understeering, so I stabbed the brakes and yanked the wheel across a bit more when the back end suddenly gave out. Slid sideways for about 10 metres and stopped just before the curb. Empty road so no harm done.

And yes, I learned my lesson.
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #33 on: Oct 23, 2008, 09:14AM »
pretty scary shit being in a car roll especially when a stereo which hasnt been working since youve owned the car suddenly starts cranking enya as loud as it goes while u are upside down and totally dazzled from the accident!

That sounds fucking funny. If that was in a movie id laugh. We need to submit these shananigins to top gear aus so they might accualy have some watchable material in the future.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #34 on: Oct 23, 2008, 09:34AM »
Hand up.

In the old mazda, come out of summer and didnt realise my rear tyres were basically slicks... Went round a corner under brakes back end lost it and fishtailed ending facing the apex.  For those who know Geelong... it was at the telegraph bridge turn.  Lucky nobody was behind me.  Horrible thing was similar thing happened the following week on my way to work... this time it was wet, took the round-about, fishtailed and went over a keep left sign sideways.  Smashed my window but no serious damge.  Got new tyres the next day.

Never lost it in the TRX... i've grown up.

Leopard-man... just wanted to say, wasn't pinning it on the motorbike, just how I read it made it sound odd (and did say I hardly read it).  I was saying that because of the car club, being male and reasonably young, they went extra hard on him.  If it were the old couple it would have been a slap on the wrists and their licence.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #35 on: Oct 23, 2008, 10:26AM »
Can you imagine how much hooning and young driver crashes would decrease if the governments would allow/sponsor more race tracks?

I don't know, would it really?  I mean this thing was a cruise, so more than anything it was probably the urge to impress/show off that made the guy act as he did, and I don't think having more opportunities to race on a racetrack would take away the existence of opportunities to show off on the road.  It might make it worse, as people try to demonstrate on the road what they learned on the track.

And jesus christ, there sure are a lot of people who have lost control of the car in a dramatic fashion.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #36 on: Oct 23, 2008, 01:33PM »
lol that's quite funny!

second that rofl
"Noss is God"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #37 on: Oct 23, 2008, 03:39PM »
Well, asking this question has opened the flood gates hasn't it!!

I thought it might generate this kind of reaction.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #38 on: Oct 23, 2008, 06:47PM »
I don't know any of my friends, who are into performance in some way that HAVN'T lost control of their vehicles.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #39 on: Oct 23, 2008, 08:34PM »
I don't know any of my friends, who are into performance in some way that HAVN'T lost control of their vehicles.
Does that include me!?? :P

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #40 on: Oct 23, 2008, 08:41PM »
Yeah, ok, but you drive like a softcock anyway :P

HAHA jks (remembers the time you took me and angelo for a spin)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #41 on: Oct 24, 2008, 12:49AM »

Isn't that then a pretty good reason to prevent people like your friends (and presumably yourself) from having the means to make those incidents occur?
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2008, 12:52AM by Narxysus »

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #42 on: Oct 24, 2008, 01:12AM »
why?

so when one of them loose control because of a oil condition for example, they won't know how to react in the given situation? there is pro's and cons of having lost control, but it's just plain dangerous and stupid. the thinking you're saying, people might as well not use hot water because they might burn themselves.

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #43 on: Oct 24, 2008, 01:52AM »

dude you're really tugging yourself there.

if you loose control then you have not been driving CORRECTLY
(which i have and that resulting in me driving into the wall of a cliff - it started hailing and i slid, now this is MY fault for not driving for the unexpected)

the whole idea behind a skid pan is to learn how to GET OUT OF CONTROL not as some people think, which is, how to loose control, regain it (9 time out of 10) and then post up on the intenet interwebs about how lossing control is like fully zik as

blah rant whinge gah

why?

so when one of them loose control because of a oil condition for example, they won't know how to react in the given situation? there is pro's and cons of having lost control, but it's just plain dangerous and stupid. the thinking you're saying, people might as well not use hot water because they might burn themselves.
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #44 on: Oct 24, 2008, 01:14PM »
I AM A BANNANA!!!
"Noss is God"

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #45 on: Oct 24, 2008, 10:25PM »
why?

Well consider that the number of your friends and people like them "who are into performance in some way" are a minority of the population, and the majority of the population will suffer no loss if you can't do performance mods etc.  If performance modding leads to catastrophic loss of control incidents with reliable frequency as you indicate and as the original post demonstrates with graphic effect, then isn't it reasonable to suggest that the majority might be willing to save lives by making the minority of people who are into performance modding worse off (by not allowing them access to performance stuff)?

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #46 on: Oct 24, 2008, 10:44PM »
I'd wager there are a significant number of people who don't modify their cars but still purchase fast sports cars who lose control and cause accidents on the roads.
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #47 on: Oct 24, 2008, 11:48PM »
I am keeping my hand down. I haven't lost control yet, there's been a few close calls though. I got my wake up call from one of my best mates who made a mistake and now the rest of us are paying for it with his absence.

oh and this goes out to those of you who have lost track of the topic at hand:

« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2008, 11:54AM by noss »
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #48 on: Oct 25, 2008, 11:39AM »
I'd wager there are a significant number of people who don't modify their cars but still purchase fast sports cars who lose control and cause accidents on the roads.

No doubt about it, but the original proposition still stands.  It's just a question of whether society believes the tradeoff is worthwhile.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #49 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:05PM »
No doubt about it, but the original proposition still stands.  It's just a question of whether society believes the tradeoff is worthwhile.

i dont think the problem here is modified cars, the problem is cars. so lets take all the cars of everyone.. of course bikes and trucks and busses as well.. oh and staplers.. cant have people stapling each other in the head because of the anger that will be generated due to the lack of transport.

my point in sarcasm is that i think there would be just as many people losing control of standard cars as there are modified cars.. its just people these days pay more attention when the cars are modified cause they're hoons.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #50 on: Oct 25, 2008, 02:54PM »
How about my proposition is that people that own modified cars are more likely to be better drivers compared to the general population.

Compare a granny that accidently loses control to a owner of a modified car that has been to skid pans etc and learnt the limits of his/hers car. Who do you would fare better?

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #51 on: Oct 25, 2008, 03:33PM »
You wouldn't believe how many times I hear on the news about a granny running over 5 teenagers in a parking lot... because she was doing 50 kmh in reverse. I don't have any statistics, but I think elderly drivers are more of a threat in terms of fatal accidents than car enthusiasts.
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #52 on: Oct 25, 2008, 03:36PM »
so lets take all the cars of everyone.. of course bikes and trucks and busses as well.. oh and staplers.. cant have people stapling each other in the head because of the anger that will be generated due to the lack of transport.

Australia already does do this with anything slightly dangerous or fun  :-\
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #53 on: Oct 25, 2008, 06:43PM »
my point in sarcasm is that i think there would be just as many people losing control of standard cars as there are modified cars..

Do you really believe that though?  Of the population of modified cars, I would think a higher percentage have been in a loss of control accident compared to that percentage in the population of non-modified cars.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #54 on: Oct 25, 2008, 07:59PM »
narx, im becoming paranoid you're a nazi..

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #55 on: Oct 25, 2008, 08:53PM »
Do you really believe that though?  Of the population of modified cars, I would think a higher percentage have been in a loss of control accident compared to that percentage in the population of non-modified cars.

Well heres another thought. People who drive/own modified cars tend to drive them alot more in situations that offer a higher chance of them lossing control (eg hill climbs (even at the speed limit) and night driving (poor visablity) than people who dont due to their love of cars. Given there are also alot of people who drive alot everyday for work but thats usualy the same routes taken day in and day out coarsing the driver to crash due to lack of consintration rather than loosing control due to speed.

I think more focus is given to moddified cars due to the high persentage of aus's dickheads/bogans and low iq population driving them. How many times have u met a feck tard in public only to find he drives a hotted up VT commodore.

(Sorry for the smart post that quickly turned into dribble)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #56 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:32PM »
narx, im becoming paranoid you're a nazi..

I just like theorising about the justice and equity of situations.  Consider that a democracy is the process of actively denying the choice of a large minority.

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #57 on: Oct 26, 2008, 10:21PM »
Has any statistics been released on the relationship between "hoons" and crashes?

I've only ever seen studies that categorised age and gender.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #58 on: Oct 27, 2008, 12:48PM »
One thing that gives me the shits is in the newspaper they have the accident fatality statistics for all drivers and P-platers. In SA the P-plater accidents are less that 10% yet P-platers are pointed out? Why don't they have another category "pensioners"?

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
« Reply #59 on: Oct 27, 2008, 01:51PM »
Thanx for the read... very eye opening since ive only just put my first high powered car on the road....

"As I've said before, when you're out driving, and particularly if you're making progress, keep thinking about your last 5 minutes of driving and how it would be described by a witness if you were to have an incident further on. "

really puts it simply for me.... People remember behaviours of people more vividly if its something frowned upon by most law-obiding citizens...

One thing ive always said, is there might not be such a thing as "safe speeding", but there is a thing call "smart speeding".... the difference isnt big, but it can save lives and from what odl mate went through, alot of heartache and struggling...