Author Topic: WA daylight saving  (Read 8642 times)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
WA daylight saving
« on: Nov 22, 2006, 11:38PM »
So, the daylight saving trial bill passed through the upper house over here.  Hurrah.  We get to be forced to trial daylight savings for a mere 3 years.

Personally, I'm opposed to daylight saving, in the summertime, at least.  The sun already rises earlier, and it already sets later in summer, why the fuck do you want to extend that even further? So the day is hotter for more of the time we're conscious in it?  I love how everyone is like "beaches, hurrrr!" - compare the number of nights you will spend enjoying yourself at the beach for an hour longer, and the number of sleepless nights you have over the summer, then get back to me.  I can't stand being out in the sun anyway, and doing shit outdoors in the blazing heat in the middle of summer is painful enough, but at least darkness isn't delayed an hour (well, until now).

I'd vote for daylight savings if it were implemented in winter, since the days are shorter and you're already starting your day in the dark, you might as well get use from the little light there is.  But in the summer...  ???

Vent your thoughts here.  C'mon noss, I've got my flame suit zipped up.  ;D
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
Re: WA daylight saving
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2006, 11:45PM »
At least you have reasons for not liking daylight savings. I'm all for it, but I get really frustrated when people I know say they're against it, so I ask why, and they're just ilke "I hate it. It's stupid. It's a conspiracy. Stupid government. I don't want to have to wake up an hour earlier in the morning and have the sun set at 4 in the afternoon. It's dumb."

They just have no idea what they're on about and are being completely immature.   >:(

As for me, I'd just like to have something different. 3 year trial might be a tad extreme, but I'm willing to give it a go before I say yay or nay.
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2006, 12:20AM »
I'm for it now, Was against it before but I can see how conversing interstate gets really annoying when its 3pm here everyone has gone home over east.
its also annoying having people from east ringing us at 6am, and there like why dont you guys answer the phone
grrr.
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2006, 02:13AM »
I'm for it now, Was against it before but I can see how conversing interstate gets really annoying when its 3pm here everyone has gone home over east.
its also annoying having people from east ringing us at 6am, and there like why dont you guys answer the phone
grrr.

It's already like that regardless. On daylight savings they go home at 2pm.

And they ring and ask why we don't answer because they're slow learners and don't realise there is a world outside their own timezone.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2006, 02:58AM »
I think there's strong feelings among those who are against it that the government is pushing this through primarily due to the aforementioned business concerns - a case of pumping up the economy at the expense of popular opinion :P

A valid question that has been raised is - if it's so damn important to have more parallel business hours with the east, then why don't those businesses who do require that simply start operations earlier in the day?  Exact same result, but without dragging the rest of the state into it.

And further to that, if this is in fact one of the more compelling reasons - then what about the other 9 months of the year?  It's not like the Christmas period is the most productive anyway, so it should be some other season this happens in.

Bah! Craziness! I cannot stand it!
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2006, 03:07AM by Narxysus »

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2006, 10:12AM »
I think the thing that pisses me off the most, and is in a way kind of scary... is that there has been 3 referrendums with the same result on this topic, but those asshats in parliament can just bring it in without consulting the public.

IMHO jonny has too much power at the moment. If I still want to vote liberal next election, I'll be voting for labour in my local election.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2006, 11:01AM »
I think the thing that pisses me off the most, and is in a way kind of scary... is that there has been 3 referrendums with the same result on this topic, but those asshats in parliament can just bring it in without consulting the public.

IMHO jonny has too much power at the moment. If I still want to vote liberal next election, I'll be voting for labour in my local election.
It's got stuff-all to do with the federal government, it's the state that is trialling it.

I feel for the people up north, the sun won't be setting until nearly 10pm ... all that extra sunlight will fade their curtains!
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2006, 11:53AM »

Technically they weren't referendums, they have some other fancy name which i can't be bothered remebering, it's basically a compulsory opinion poll. Although i get what your saying.

I'm all for daylight savings. But what really bugs me is when all the old ladies (my great grandmother and co.) say that it's going to cause thier curtains to fade quicker and that they have to look after thier children for an hour longer everyday - WHAT A LOAD OF BS!

Australia has wayyyyyyyyyy too many conservitive old people...they're everywhere :-\
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2006, 09:08AM »
I had to laugh when I heard a politician on the news claiming that it will destroy peoples health due to 'mum not having time to cook dinner because shes too busy playing on the beach, when she'd normally be in the kitchen' so everyone would be eating takeaway. ::)

... all that extra sunlight will fade their curtains!

you beat me to it!

Offline Marty

• post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2006, 02:39PM »
Australia has wayyyyyyyyyy too many conservitive old people...they're everywhere :-\
dito

we start daylight savings end of the week,
woot or something, eh I dont care its all the same to me
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:39PM »
Jeez c'mon WA, get with the rest of the country :)

I'm all for daylight savings. But what really bugs me is when all the old ladies (my great grandmother and co.) say that it's going to cause thier curtains to fade quicker and that they have to look after thier children for an hour longer everyday - WHAT A LOAD OF BS!

Did i miss something? Last time i checked, daylight saving doesnt actually increase the amount of light that occurs  ??? that happens naturally, daylight saving or not....

As for the old people, they are scared of change due to lack of understanding of the topics - not only daylight saving, but the recycled water issue, now nuclear power etc, etc, makes me angry  >:(

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2006, 04:56PM »
Yer bogan_bob that was my point... we've got all these old people who are totally against it when they don't really understand what's going on, and when you try to explain it to them you get some story about the great depression :P
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:33PM »
we start daylight savings end of the week,

I haven't been watching the news. When exactly do we put our clocks an hour forward?

EDIT: Or should that be back?    ??? :P
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:37PM »
sunday i think?- forward 1 hour :)
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2006, 06:42PM »
I've always wondered what they do with the TV guides when there's daylight savings. Like do they just repeat what was on at a certain time when that time comes again because of winding clocks back? I've just done a quick search and the transitions are supposed to be made at 2 am and 3 am, so it's not like people will be like "Let's meet for coffee at 2:30,"  "Which 2:30?" Although that would be quite humourous.         :D
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2006, 12:12AM »
"Let's meet for coffee at 2:30,"  "Which 2:30?" Although that would be quite humourous.         :D

lol, you're a tool  ;D

Another personal reason I don't want it - I deliver pizzas, so I work in the evening, hence for any given shift I will be driving around longer in the crappy afternoon sun, instead of the delicious night-time  :(

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:59AM »
narxysus, are you a 70yo trapped in the body of a 20-something-yo?

instead of being negative about it, look at it this way.

- there is NO EXTRA LIGHT for a start, so saying the daylight hours are being extended further than normal summer is just a tad silly.
- when you wake up in the morning, because your clocks are set forward another hour, thats 1 less hour the sun has been up. so there has been less time for heat to generate, and you get to enjoy a slightly cooler morning.
- driving in the daylight is far safer than driving at night. although then this does bring up the point that you'll be driving at dusk, but it sounds like you do that currently anyway. so enjoy the safer period of 'extra' light that you have. if you're scared of dusk. buy a volvo.

blah blah & etc etc..

if you're opposed to daylight savings thats cool.. but in reality its a handy little thing to have, it gives you that bit of extra time to do things in the afternoon.. the time is shifted 1 hour to make more of the daylight usable, whats the point of the sun being up shortly after 4am if you're just going to sleep through it? so you hate daylight.. thats cool too.. just buy a radioactive protection suit and a welders mask. you'll remain as white and as pasty as you've ever been. also the comment 'what about the people up north, the sun wont go down til 10pm..' um.. have you been 'up north' to even know when the sun sets anyway?

common sense and a simple highschool education will tell you that as you get closer to the equator, the change in the length of days in summer and winter are lesser than experienced in areas further from the equator, so people closer to the equator would actually benefit from daylight savings more than people in the south.

also, i've not yet been to the wonderful land of western australia, but last time i checked, perth was around the lame line of lattitude as sydney.. melbourne is much further south than perth, and the latest i've seen the sun up in melbourne during daylight savings is around 8:50pm. so i doubt the sun will be up in perth until 10pm. to back me up, i found this little site with a quick google search (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=196) the sun will set today in perth a 7:05pm meaning that with daylight savings, the sun will set at 8:05pm far from 10pm.

also saying daylight savings should be in winter and not summer.. tad on the silly side too. if you've ever been to melbourne, tassie, which are coincedentally both further south than perth/wa, sunrise isnt until around 7:40am.. so pushing the clock an hour forward in the winter means that the sun wont rise until 8:40.. why on earth you'd want to travel to work, and even spend your first hour of work in darkness is beyond me.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2006, 12:01PM »
Noss for Prime Minister!!

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2006, 03:06PM »
Noss for Prime Minister!!

LOL  ;D
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2006, 03:21PM »
Yaay!  I knew you'd be along sooner or later, noss :D

I'll take this one step at a time:
narxysus, are you a 70yo trapped in the body of a 20-something-yo?

Sometimes, I think I might be, yes.

- there is NO EXTRA LIGHT for a start, so saying the daylight hours are being extended further than normal summer is just a tad silly.

I don't believe I have stated it as you put it.  Look at it this way.  The sun rises at 5am, and sets at 7pm.  Say I always get up at 6am.  I'm awake during 13 hours of sunlight, no?  Introduce daylight savings.  I still get up at 6am, but now that's an hour earlier.  So the sun now sets at 8pm.  Now I'm awake during 14 hours of daylight.  So during any given day, daylight savings does in fact force me to experience more sunlight.

- when you wake up in the morning, because your clocks are set forward another hour, thats 1 less hour the sun has been up. so there has been less time for heat to generate, and you get to enjoy a slightly cooler morning.

A slightly cooler morning does not offset a slightly hotter evening, in my opinion.

- driving in the daylight is far safer than driving at night. although then this does bring up the point that you'll be driving at dusk, but it sounds like you do that currently anyway. so enjoy the safer period of 'extra' light that you have. if you're scared of dusk. buy a volvo.

There are about 2 hours before sunset where the sun is really gay to drive under.  I generally start work 1 hour before sunset.  Daylight savings makes that 2 hours = poopy.

if you're opposed to daylight savings thats cool.. but in reality its a handy little thing to have, it gives you that bit of extra time to do things in the afternoon.. the time is shifted 1 hour to make more of the daylight usable, whats the point of the sun being up shortly after 4am if you're just going to sleep through it?

Because it's hot and unpleasant?  In summer, the sun rises earlier and sets later than in winter.  Ergo, the time we can use daylight is already longer, by at least an hour in the evening.  Why are we needing more?

so you hate daylight.. thats cool too.. just buy a radioactive protection suit and a welders mask. you'll remain as white and as pasty as you've ever been. also the comment 'what about the people up north, the sun wont go down til 10pm..' um.. have you been 'up north' to even know when the sun sets anyway?

I plan to not die of skin cancer.  15 minutes in the sun gets you all the vitamin D you need in a day.  Anything more is asking for cancer, in my opinion :) Also, that comment about people in the north wasn't by me.

common sense and a simple highschool education will tell you that as you get closer to the equator, the change in the length of days in summer and winter are lesser than experienced in areas further from the equator, so people closer to the equator would actually benefit from daylight savings more than people in the south.

Not really understanding the thrust of this.  I agree with you here, but how is it relevant?

also, i've not yet been to the wonderful land of western australia, but last time i checked, perth was around the lame line of lattitude as sydney.. melbourne is much further south than perth, and the latest i've seen the sun up in melbourne during daylight savings is around 8:50pm. so i doubt the sun will be up in perth until 10pm. to back me up, i found this little site with a quick google search (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=196) the sun will set today in perth a 7:05pm meaning that with daylight savings, the sun will set at 8:05pm far from 10pm.

I never mentioned anything about 10pm sunset  ???

also saying daylight savings should be in winter and not summer.. tad on the silly side too. if you've ever been to melbourne, tassie, which are coincedentally both further south than perth/wa, sunrise isnt until around 7:40am.. so pushing the clock an hour forward in the winter means that the sun wont rise until 8:40.. why on earth you'd want to travel to work, and even spend your first hour of work in darkness is beyond me.

Now I can't understand why you would think this is stupid.  Mid summer, there's 14 hours of available sunlight, according to my 2005 Astronomy Almanac.  Mid winter, there's around 10 hours of available sunlight.  The sun rises around 7.15am and sets at 5.30pm.  So assuming the average worker starts work at 8am, they're going to be getting up when it's barely light out.  They're also going to be getting home just as the sun is setting.  So, introduce daylight savings.  Now people are getting up when it's dark, and by the time they get to the office, the sun will just be rising.  I don't see why this would be a bad thing, as you seem to think it is - most people work in a closed building, so I don't understand the difference between it being light outside or not when you're at work.

The key thing now, however, is that people should be getting home with one hour more useable daylight.  They will actually have time to do stuff outside, because the sun won't have set by the time they get home.  Makes far more sense than having it in summer, when people already have 2 more hours of useable light in the evening compared to winter anyway.

I'm open to giving daylight savings a go (not that I have to be THANKS STATE GOVERNMENT!), but I just don't think I'm going to like it. 

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2006, 07:04PM »
lol.. yeh i just like stirring. see, currently in queensland, it makes no difference to me if we have daylight savings or not. if i work 1hr overtime, i'm leaving work as the sun is dissapearing behind mt cootha, and the last of my sunlight is spent on the train. if we had daylight savings, i'd still spend most of the last of my sunlight on the train if i worked 1hr overtime, then the sun would mock me and set as i walk in my front door. of course, thats all dependant on me working overtime, so if i left work on time, i might be able to enjoy some of the sun, but leaving on time happens rarely these days.

anyway narxysus, not all that was directed at you, mainly just the first comment and the one about winter. someone did make the 10pm comment but i'm not going to bother going back to figure out who. its all trivial really. btw, you wont be experiencing a hotter evening, because the temperature isnt going to rise more, but i'm sure you're aware of that. you will just have been awake longer. i'm also aware that the mornings wont actually be cooler, its just you'll experience a cooler part of it.

as for winter time, i think the difference between going to work in the dark and going to work while the sun is coming up makes a big difference, although i didnt bother to explain myself as i was going to be late for work lol. basically, my view is, if you're going to be locked in a building while you're working, not seeing the sunlight, and you dont see the sunlight before you get into work, thats just a tad depressing for your average office joe. so for the sake of keeping someone's spirits up, a little bit of sunlight in the morning is handy.

but yeh, if you like it or not, its here (or not here) to stay. at least you've got it. for someone that is so anti-sun, then i can see your dislike for daylight savings. i'd rather have time to go cycling in daylight or go for a swim. neither activities you actually need sunlight for, but it makes them as a whole more pleasant.

in my days in melbourne, there was nothing better than seeing a beach full of people at 7pm, swimming in the afternoon sun. from my experience, people are generally happier when daylight savings is about. they're stoked to be able to do stuff, be it something physical or just a few beers. being out in the sun and doing things, be it just sitting around or doing some excercise is proven to reduce depression in individuals. definately a huge bonus.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2006, 10:19PM »
Narxysus, if you like the dark so much, why don't you go live in Alaska and Antarctica alternately depending on the time of year... then you wont have to experience any daylight ;)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 28, 2006, 12:20AM »
I wholly agree with Narxysus about afternoon driving. ATM any time between about 5 and sunset sucks for driving here. The sun is that low in the sky that you can't avoid looking at it. Plus it's hot and sticky and exhausting delivering hot food during the day, especially if you don't have/don't use air-con in your car.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2006, 01:32AM »
Narxysus, if you like the dark so much, why don't you go live in Alaska and Antarctica alternately depending on the time of year... then you wont have to experience any daylight ;)

One day, I may try this.  In the meantime, I will have to make do drawing sustenance from the blood of the living, mwu-har.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2006, 09:33AM »
Your looking pretty pale there, I think you need a solarium treatment ::)

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2006, 05:39PM »
meh suck it up all you WA princess', its happening, just vote no at the referendum in 3 yrs (?2008?)  ;D

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2006, 08:46PM »
I still don't quite understand how all of a sudden the issue came up, and was then thrust through parliament and onto the general public.  It was like, a matter of weeks.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 11:04PM »
Time to get excited!  Referendum today! 67.5% of the vote counted and it's 44.44% for, 55.56% against, hurrah!

Three long years of arduous daylight savings pain and it may finally be over for at least a decade!

Also, the correlation between % against and distance from the coast is hilarious.  No, you yuppie beachgoing bastards, the rest of us who don't live next to the ocean don't want your blasted time jiggerypokery!

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/wa/2009/daylightsaving/results-tables.htm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:07PM by Narxysus »

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 11:14PM »
I'm willing to give it a go before I say yay or nay.

Now that I've had a go, I don't like it and firmly voted No. But that's the whole point of democracy: Choice!
Current mods:

... that's about all.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 11:38PM »
epic fail. DLS ftw!