Author Topic: suggestion  (Read 2769 times)

Offline trxmad

• post whore
suggestion
« on: Jul 26, 2005, 10:28AM »
i was thinking that it would be good to limit new members to starting topics in here and only being able to reply in the rst of the forum..

i think it would reduce stupid topics about crap and topics which have been covered before...

just a suggestion feel free to reject :)

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
Re: suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2005, 10:38AM »
i second that... until they get 2 stars they shouldnt be able to start topics...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2005, 10:52AM »
What i believe would work better that i have seen used on other forums, is a post limit of 5 posts per day for say, 2-4 weeks.

It's not a problem policing repeatedly brought up topics.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2005, 10:55AM »
Good suggestion, but it would probably lead to more new members post whoring just to get their post counts up so they can create threads in other sections. - EDIT- DVSU12's suggestion would stop that happening though-

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2005, 11:30AM »
This would discourage alot of new members. Some of them come here just looking for help with their cars and but stick around afterwards because they like the site. If they couldn't make new topics they may not get that help they need and it would turn them away from the site.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2005, 12:02PM »
i'm not going to be placing a restriction on newbies. they do have some restrictions though, but that is in regards to karma and the for sale section. the whole idea of the newbie section is to welcome them.. not to suggest that newbies be locked down to this section.

locking newbies into this section of the forum will only make more work for us, it already has as it is with general maintenance questions and other questions about the cars being placed here instead of their correct location under technical discussion.

they can start there and then step outside of that and find their feet. yes newbies will ask stupid questions, but so did we when we were new to the game/their age.

but yeh, i dont think restrictions are the best idea cause the sites that restricted me when i signed up i never went back, and i dont want antrx to be the kind of place that i wouldn come back too. admittedly i'm not around here very much at all anymore but thats ok.. doesnt mean i dont like the place, just means i have other business/obsessions to attend to ;)

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2005, 01:08PM »
the sites that restricted me when i signed up i never went back
Exactly what I was trying to get at  :)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2005, 11:01AM »
a 5 post per day restriction for 7 days for new members isn't going to discourage them if they REALLY want to be a member.

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #8 on: Jul 30, 2005, 11:08AM »
i second that... until they get 2 stars they shouldnt be able to start topics...
i didnt say they shouldnt be allowed to post... but to start new topics if a different story...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2005, 11:01PM »
I guess it would teach them to search for threads about their problem, but they would bump alot of ancient threads.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!