Author Topic: turbos  (Read 5735 times)

Offline techoz

• antrx.com full member
  • OBSE5D
    • Snakeboard Australia
turbos
« on: Nov 5, 2003, 03:51PM »
i was jsut wodering what would give u more power??
turboing the standard trx motor, or just getting a 1/2 cut, say ca18det or sr20det??
and waht would b the cheapest?
Doomsday Streetboarding Australia
http://www.streetboarding.org

Snakeboard Australia
http://www.snakeboard.com.au

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:turbos
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5, 2003, 04:00PM »
more power = ka24e turbo.

depends on how you go about it as to whats cheaper.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #2 on: Nov 5, 2003, 06:43PM »
After driving my brothers SR20DET pulsar, I would definately go the SR front cut... I'm sure u could get a shite load of power out of a KA, but i'd say... too hard basket... Depends on how much $$$ u're willing to spend I suppose and how long u can go without your car on the road.  I can't imagine an engine swap from a front cut would be that diffucult.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #3 on: Nov 5, 2003, 06:44PM »
Get onto the search button, i'm sure it's been discussed before...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #4 on: Nov 5, 2003, 08:39PM »
Ka24e with turbo would have a lot of power down low witch is some thing few engines have (at least in the rb/ca series) although i doubt you could get much more then 200-250kw out of a ka24 before you had to start cryo treating more parts &/or fitting other non std parts from other cars. I know for a fact that my ca20 has a weak crank so i probably couldn't get over 160kw if i tried. The ka24 may be a much better engine but at the end of the day it was still designed as a NA engine and as such you WILL run into these sort of problems if you go over 200kw or so.

The ca18det can be bought for a measly 1.1G's on the cheap side and can take up to 400hp or 307kw on it's crank so you already have a lot of room for more power, & for such a cheap engine you can get a LOT out of it and to be frank i don't see much reason for any one bar the biggest power whores not being happy with one of these.

The Sr20 has like 10 or so variations from the early models to the latest V tech blah blah etc etc models, i honestly can't give you much info on these engines other then the fact that a decent one heavily worked would probably be a fair shade better then a ca18det HOWEVER it's far more costly to go this way then to buy a ca18det.... specially if your after some of the newer models.

« Last Edit: Nov 5, 2003, 08:42PM by Cle »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Nov 5, 2003, 09:06PM »
i'm sure this has been answered before.. anyway, i'll elaborate a tiny bit on my previous answer..

basically the ka24e on stock internals will make much more power than an sr20det on more boost & other mods. for example, a ka24et running 5psi made 160kw @ the wheels on the dyno with stock internals & ecu, where as an sr20det running the same mods but an ecu has been reported as making 165kw @ the wheels on 14psi.

now just a quick note before i continue for all the people that are gonna start arguments about dyno readings, fuck off & do something constructive.

now i think that is defniately pretty impressive for an n/a engine running 5psi, and quite honestly a bit dissapointing for an sr20, the almighty engine everyone thinks is the be all & end all of 4 cylinder performance. but those are the numbers i've seen and the ones i'm shoosing to compare.

the internals of the ka24e will safely hold 220kw for a long period of time.. you dont even have to think of upgrading anything internally until you want to go over that figure.. some workshops even claim it to run around 260kw before you start thinking about upgrading parts.. personally i'd upgrade around the 200kw mark.. but then again this will all depend on how you drive. if you're gonna drive like a typical p plater all day everyday i'd recommend you go for an upgrade of the internals at around the 150kw mark (i.e. before you start)

in the end it depends on what you want. both options are gonna cost around the same price depending on what you're gonna spend for parts/front cuts etc..

as cle said the ca18det is also a fantastic option & if you're not intending on running the power excessivly high it is a very capable engine & should be more than what your after.

or you could be different and do what everyone else is doing and buy an sr20. in the end its compeltely up to you.

Offline techoz

• antrx.com full member
  • OBSE5D
    • Snakeboard Australia
« Reply #6 on: Nov 6, 2003, 09:18AM »
ok thanks guys i guess i jsut wanted a boosted car, so maybe the ca18 would b the go if i just wanta hear the tubo spoool up!!
thanks  :)
Doomsday Streetboarding Australia
http://www.streetboarding.org

Snakeboard Australia
http://www.snakeboard.com.au

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Nov 6, 2003, 10:14AM »
After driving my brothers SR20DET pulsar, I would definately go the SR front cut... I'm sure u could get a shite load of power out of a KA, but i'd say... too hard basket... Depends on how much $$$ u're willing to spend I suppose and how long u can go without your car on the road.  I can't imagine an engine swap from a front cut would be that diffucult.

i've already told him he's the first person i'm racing once the turbo is in  ;D

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 6, 2003, 03:43PM »
a ca18det front cut is about $1100?? are they hard to come by? what cars have ca18s and are fwd. for ca20e owners wouldnt this be heaps easier than a sr20 swap? wouldnt the engine mounts and gear box bolt stright up etc?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Nov 6, 2003, 03:45PM »
use the search button champ. but basically to answer your questions..

yes.
no.
series 1 u12 bluebird.
yes.
mostly yes.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Nov 6, 2003, 04:03PM »
alright cheers for the info

...i'll use the search button next time  ;)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Nov 7, 2003, 10:56AM »
A FWD CA18DET swap is what I've been researching a bit recently.  An SR20DET is simply out of my price range.

Another option is to put in a KA24E and perform exactly the same turbo mods as noss and sssgtr, obviously paying the premium for manifold's and shit like that- as they've would have already been proven.

*shrugss*... i'm saving up, is all I can say!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Nov 7, 2003, 11:05AM »
yeh i rang a few places yesterday just to see if i could get one for 1100 but no one had one and the best quote i got to source one from japan was 2500. not that i actually have that kinda cash lying around but just to see what options i have in the future.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2003, 08:04AM »
There are also many N14 SSS Pulsars here with SR20DET's. My mate has recently finished a conversion in his, and is definetly a 13 sec car with a dead stock engine.
That's a very bad idea running a non intercooled setup, especially on anything less then 98 RON PULP.

Offline NOFX

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2003, 04:53PM »
yeah noss, ur figures are pretty close, my sr20 at 13psi was running about 155kw at the wheels, so whatever that works out to at the flywheel, maybe 180-190 or something, thats all standard internals, i think the big difference is the chip that mine has in it,

if uve got a ca20 motor'd pini then the ca18det is the go, if not, the 2.4 can be modded quite well as some of the people on here have shown, of course u could just buy a bluebird and get the 4wd also, cya
The car developed an electrical problem after the conrod knocked the distributor off

quick_sst

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2003, 05:41PM »
I feel as far as parts availability goes there is so much available for the SR from alot of top shelf companies. The  SR is a proven performer and will develop quite a bit of power with the right turbo choice and tuning. They have some weeknesses but. There is a slot between the cylenders that allows coolant to pass up into the head which can close up under excessive boost and heat causing all sorts of probs. For block integrity i would go with a ca due to the cast iron block and tougher crank girdle but as they say "There is no replacement for Displacement". I think a turbo 2.4 would yeild great wads of low down torque and would be a great performer. On the plus side it is different so however deep your pockets are will decide your direction. 2.4 turbo .... Hell Yeah!!

Offline zac510

• antrx.com junior member
  • Not a llama, thanks!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2003, 08:52PM »
Big respect and big tyre bills to whoever builds a KA24ET TRX :)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Dec 1, 2003, 08:21AM »
It's happening....slowly..... ;D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx