Author Topic: The journey begins...  (Read 22318 times)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
The journey begins...
« on: Jun 2, 2009, 01:40AM »
Well, basically since the start of year 8 back in the day, i started eating far too much crap at school. It got worse and worse, to the ridiculous point i am at today. I can easily eat junk takeaway three times a day, and if im hungry i can get through two meals. Now has come the time when i am looking at myself, and thinking about what im doing, and it is absolutely absurd. A 200g packet of chips can be demolished in under an hour if im watching tv/dvd's.

I have decided to get back into fitness and slightly healthier eating. I am never going to be able to eat heaps healthy, its just not in me. But i am going to set a few guide lines, and am not going to cross them.

Basically, i just posted this as personal encouragement, a record of progress, and to show anyone that it is possible even if you are not the healthiest eater. All taunts/payouts etc are welcome, as this will just help me on my way. People in society are too nice, one does not fully realise his situation until its very late.

Approximate starting weight on a dodgy pair of scales at night time was 110kg, will re-weigh tomorrow morning, on good scales as this is how i will consistantly be weighing myself during the program (morning on the same set of scales).

Plans for the revamp are:

- Riding pushbike to uni and back tuesdays and thursdays
- Riding pushie to work mondays, tuesdays, fridays
- Monday night social netball (started)
- Medium paced walk mondays, wednesdays and fridays
- Easy run thursday nights at local footy club (when not working)
- Play low grade footy Saturdays when possible

All of these will be slowly implemented over 2-3 weeks as my body gets used to it. Also will be increased in due time eg some running, sprinting etc.

Eating/Drinking wise:

- Replace normal snacks with fruits/fruit salad
- For occasional treats, portions will be reduced alot
- Junk/Takeaway once per week, reducing to once per fortnight eventually (compared to normal 4 times minimum basically)
- Only permit myself to one 50g bag potato chips per week (compared to at least 400g/week atm)
- Much less fizzy, eg one 600ml coke per week/two cans, or one iced coffee
- More water

The first goal i am setting, is to get below three full digits. Ideally i would love to say end of june, but with such a change i doubt that. So no time estimate this time around, maybe for the next goal i can challenge myself when my body adapts to some form of regime. This time around, i would just lvoe to lose an average of 1kg/weel, i.e. 4 by end of june. Any more and im happy.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
Re: The journey begins...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2, 2009, 01:43AM »
Played mixed netball tonight, only for 20 minutes, still recovering from the flu.

Tomorrow it begins. Healthier food for the start, tomorrow arvo will drag out the pushie, make sure shes all ready for a hammering. If im lucky, will start riding it tomorrow to work. Correct starting weight will be posted tomorrow morning. If i dont ride to work, will walk for an hour.
« Last Edit: Jun 2, 2009, 01:45AM by BILL*69 »
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
« Reply #2 on: Jun 2, 2009, 08:46AM »
congrats on the decision mate, i'm doing the exact same thing for the exact same reason.

oh btw... you fat shit, arch up hit the gym, stupid lard ball
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jun 2, 2009, 10:11AM »
Tell this to who-ever fills up your pantry too, It's alot harder to resist something when it's right in front of you compared to if it wasn't there in the first place.

Why don't you hit up the gym with that mass you got at the moment so you can get big lifts yo :P.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Jun 2, 2009, 10:31AM »
Sounds great Bill.

I've cut down lately after adding on some kilo's around the guts.  Can still swim 2.5km in an hour, but can't seem to shake the guts yet, which has alot to do with beers+food on weekends!!

Keep it up mate!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jun 2, 2009, 12:24PM »
Good to hear mate. Healthy is good  :)

Btw you will lose more weight if you lose some of the running and do some weights instead. An hour of weights work will use more energy than walking.

Oh and atleast you are realistic by cutting down crap food gradually and not saying "no more junk food ever", it never happens.

Keep us updated.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 2, 2009, 01:07PM »
Good Stuff bro!! Keep it up. I too am eating healthier (its amazing how when you take a step back and see how much crap your really eating lol). I hated salad, but now can stomach it.

Word to wise, if replacing meat with veges, eat more veges as meat tends to make you "full" for longer.

Also maybe try skipping. I started skipping again and feel a difference. Slowly losing the gut lol.

Hang in there mate and just remember not to be disheartened if you only lose say 100gms in the first week as, and I reckon this applies to everything in life, " ITS LITERALLY BETTER THAN DOING NOTHING" i.e you may only lost say a 100gm, but thats still 100gm less than you were before.

I guess maybe when you lose weight, your car won't be so low anymore  :P
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #7 on: Jun 2, 2009, 01:12PM »
Word to wise, if replacing meat with veges, eat more veges as meat tends to make you "full" for longer.

I guess maybe when you lose weight, your car won't be so low anymore  :P
Would love to replace meat, but its never going to happen. Portion sizes will just be reduced. And as for the car, maybe i should put on, seeing as i still think the fronts too high :P

Well my starting weight was right, 110kg. Just about to pull out the bike, will ride to work today.
Ate breakfast for a change, hoping that it will give me that fuller feeling during the day, therefore eat less at lunch.

I will also invite those who are interested (if not, oh well), in posting up their results in this topic. Seeing as a few of you are trying, even if its only a few ken cunninghams, your documented results may or may not urge me and others on their way.

Monday 1 June
Bill*69 (plus a few more) - 110.5kg
« Last Edit: Jun 4, 2009, 12:24PM by BILL*69 »

Offline stretch

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Jun 2, 2009, 01:42PM »
Good to see you're looking at getting fit, it'll be tricky at first but you've just got to get into the habit of it all. I'm looking at doing something like this soon, however I will be attempting to put on weight instead of lose it, I'm way too skinny!
"Noss is God"

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #9 on: Jun 2, 2009, 01:54PM »
Good job Bill. My mate lost about 15 kilos in 10 weeks just by not eating white bread and drinking diet soft drink.

Be careful with netball though. I weighed that much when I played and it gave my knees pure hell.

I'm down to 90 kilos now and it's a lot easier to do just about everything.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Jun 2, 2009, 04:22PM »
i've also decided to lose some weight.. i went to a dietitian for advice and this is what she's told me: (warning, kinda long post, but i've really learnt from it..)

breakfast - 6am-ish
1 cup of cereal or 2 weetbix, milk, no sugar

morning tea - 9am-ish
fruit the size of your fist. i.e. 1 apple, 1 orange, handful of grapes, small piece or watermelon. its up to you what you eat, but it should be limited to fist size.

lunch - 12-ish
1 sandwhich or wrap, should be wholemeal or multigrain bread, can have chicken or ham and salad. no cheese.

arvo tea - 3pm-ish
fruit again, same as above

dinner - 6pm-ish
chicken or steak the size of your palm, or fish the size of your hand (i.e. palm + fingers). a cup of vegetables and a cup of carbs (cooked volume).. so potato, pasta or rice.

before bed - 9pm-ish (optional)
small tub of yoghurt. like kids size.

the idea behind this is that you eat every 3hrs, in smaller amounts.. i know this is said on tv a lot, but i never quite grasped just how to do it.. what this eating plan does is it keeps your metabolism going all day.. it kicks it off early and keeps it going all night. you will get hunger pains when you first start this, but just stick with it! after a few days the pains will go away and you'll find this really easy to achieve. just think of the hunger pains as the eating plan working, because as you get those hunger pains, your body starts breaking down fats in your body.. if you're anything like me, you'll find you only get those hunger pains about 15mins before you're supposed to eat anyway.. but its pretty amazing how pretty much every 3hrs on the dot, you get those hunger pains.

with the food you can mix it up a bit, i dont stick  to it 100% but i'm sensible about things when i deviate from what i've been asked to eat..  cut out take away all together if you can! maccas, hungrys, kfc, the lot.. its really tempting to have some when you're in a hurry and are hungry, but it doesnt take too long to get over it.. then you'll find that when you go try some maccas or kfc after you've not had any for a few weeks that it tasts like rubbish anyway!

the bread and/or wraps you eat have to be wholemeal. white bread is processed easily by the body and stored where as wholemeal is not.

what you drink is important too.. i was drinking lots of softdrink, we all know thats bad.. so i then moved to water but mostly juice.. juice is bad too! you should, especially when you start, only drink water.. i now occasionally have a juice or a softdrink, but only 1 per day if i have one at all.. 1.5 - 2 litres of water is your goal, but dont stress if you cant drink that much. sometimes i have less than a litre, sometimes i have 3 or more.. i have found the days that i drink more water, i lose more weight - although i dont do it now, i was at first keeping track daily to see how different things affected me.

also, really limit your alcohol intake.. i used to have 3-4 drinks a night.. i drink bourbon and coke, so thats nasty to begin with.. but it goes for anything, beer, wine, whatever.. its all sugar and will be stored in your body as fat as its really easy for the body to process..

exercise wise, if you can fit it in, you need to try do 30-60mins a day. the amount that you walk around the office each day could be counted as exercise, but try get something in that raises your heart rate a little.. as i said i try mix it up a bit to keep myself interested.. weights, situps, push ups, skipping, cycling, walking.. i do a bit of everything i listed just there.. i probably spread myself too thin on each thing excercise wise, but i'm certainly noticing a difference.

my little brother and dad have been roughly following the eating plan i'm following.. my little bro has lost 10kg and my dad has lost a few as well.

i myself.. well.. in november i was 117kg.. i'm now 95. i've sat pretty steady for the last 2 months or so though with all the shit going on around me, eating healthy & excercise have been the least of my concerns, but i've still not put the weight back on cause i know better now. also goal is 80 for the moment.. i was planning on being there by the end of this month, but it hasnt happened.. i was on target for a while there.. i figure if i can make it there by my birthday i'll be doing really well :)

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #11 on: Jun 2, 2009, 10:33PM »
Well done Nossy, I'm watching what i eat as well now. Have put a bit of weight on since i started the driving job, eating the wrong foods because they're easy to eat while driving.
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #12 on: Jun 3, 2009, 07:40PM »
Good on ya bill,

I did something like this after i finished yr 12 with some pretty decent results. I think at my worst i was something like 105kg.

I basically stopped buying so much takeaway

Ran 1.5km every morning when i woke up

went to the gym when it suited me.

drank alot of water

after not long at all i was right down to 84kg

but over the past 6 months ive gotten lazy and im around 88-89. so believe me its possible!
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #13 on: Jun 3, 2009, 10:46PM »
Well if i was ever 80 id be on top of the world, but im very happy with a final result of 90. But first, to get under 100, or even moreso, get the ball rolling.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #14 on: Jun 4, 2009, 10:13AM »
I started to get worried when I put on 10kg going from 73 - 83kg... loosing the high numbers is easy... its that last 10% that is the hard part (my target is a tiny 70kg even (maintained 68kg during school).  Might I mention i'm only maybe 176cm tall so even at my current 78kg wii fit tells me I'm slightly overweight.

weight loss is pretty cool when you see before and after photos, not to mention the difference in ability to do active stuff.  Stick with it guys.

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #15 on: Jun 4, 2009, 01:21PM »
I read somewhere that it takes time for your body to regenerate itself in relation to food input. ie, if you eat crap for years it might take a year or more for your body to adapt to healthy eating. And when it does that, it actually changes your body and makes it harder to gain weight but easier to stay fit. So if you fall off the wagon it should take longer for you to put on weight again.

I used to eat a lot of takeaway crap, so when I went to eat something healthy like a salad I couldn't stomach it. But I changed my eating habits to healthy food gradually and now it's the opposite, I can't eat maccas or KFC without waking up all night with stomach cramps and shit.

And building up muscle is one of the best helps to lose weight, even if it's just a set of heavyish dumbells.
nothing.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #16 on: Jun 8, 2009, 02:03PM »
Well, first weighin since the change in eating/exercise:

Monday 1 June

Monday 8 June
Bill*69 - 109.5kg

No netball tonight due to public holiday, must get on the cross trainer or down to the oval to make up for it.

Buying a new treadmill soon also, old one has shat itself, and costs more than we paid for it to get fixed!!
« Last Edit: Jun 9, 2009, 09:54AM by BILL*69 »

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #17 on: Jun 9, 2009, 12:31PM »
Buying a new treadmill soon also, old one has shat itself, and costs more than we paid for it to get fixed!!

Why not go for a run outside? Save you $1200....

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #18 on: Jun 9, 2009, 06:18PM »
Why not go for a run outside? Save you $1200....

I agree that the putting the $1200 to healthier food will be a good idea as healthy range of food often cost a tat more.
As for exercise, I'll recommend getting a mate to do regular walks with you. Reason? Motivation!
Walking a preset distance is much lower impact than running or high impact exercises. You wouldn't wanna hurt yourself at this point.

For instance, I helped a mate lose about 10kg in 2 months, through healthy diet and walking 3 times a week. We went for progressive training. eg. first week, we did brisk walk for 2km. Every week, the distance increases by 0.5km. The reason we did only 3 times a week is that it gives the body a bit of time for recovery. Hope this gives you some ideas.  ;)

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #19 on: Jun 9, 2009, 10:30PM »
i get shin splints very easily, and lose motivation having to go to the nearest oval, with a treadmill there i find spur of the moment exercise easier, which means im more likely to do it.

and im going halves, my old man is buying one, i dont see why i shouldnt go halves if im going to use it too. i used the old one.

and also, i live in a pretty dodgy suburb as of late, so its getting more and more risky to walk alone or with a partner before dawn or after dark.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #20 on: Jun 9, 2009, 11:44PM »
Fair enough. You know me. I'd risk getting bashed for $1200 lol

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #21 on: Jun 9, 2009, 11:50PM »
Fair enough. You know me. I'd risk getting bashed for $12 lol

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #22 on: Jun 15, 2009, 01:27PM »
Monday 1 June

Monday 8 June
Bill*69 - 109.5kg

Monday 15 June
Bill*69 - 108.5kg

Steady loss at 1kg per week. Could have been more, but had a huge meal last night for a family event. Cant go wrong with a parmi. And also limited exercise due to copious amounts of homework and uni classes. This week will be just as hard, its my birthday on thursday, family functions with large meals that i refuse to knock back, and then going out this weekend, alcohol and mixers are all sugar... So ive decided that while ive got time off of uni, i will be doing an hour of decent exercise everyday. That should hopefully even it out somewhat.

Treadmill is on its way, got a bargain price.

One thing i have noticed since the change in eating, is i cant eat as much. At the local pub that i went to last night, i normally demolish 4 pcs of garlic bread, and a whole parma. Last night i only got 3 pcs of bread in, and HALF OF THE PARMA. the first parma ive ever left unfinished. i couldnt believe it.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Jun 15, 2009, 02:04PM »
A kg a week is good steady weight loss mate. Need to make sure its sustainable and long term.

Good work. Have to catch up at uni soon.

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #24 on: Jun 15, 2009, 09:13PM »
One thing i have noticed since the change in eating, is i cant eat as much. At the local pub that i went to last night, i normally demolish 4 pcs of garlic bread, and a whole parma. Last night i only got 3 pcs of bread in, and HALF OF THE PARMA. the first parma ive ever left unfinished. i couldnt believe it.

its amazing hey? another thing i'm amazed by, i used to drink a glass or two of coke everyday, didn't think it was that much really. but i decided to give it up and get rid of some sugar intake. after a week i had withdrawal headaches, and after 2 weeks i'd had a really shit day, so i thought fuck it, i'll get a can of coke. i had to throw half the can out cos it just tasted like shit! after only 2 weeks! i really can't believe the difference, and i really can't believe how much i would drink and actually enjoy it. yuck!
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2009, 12:49AM »
after a week i had withdrawal headaches
Speaking of such things, i had a massive migraine like headache saturday night, kncoked me off my feet, couldnt sleep or walk. Couldnt get it down to anything else but massive sugar withdrawal... i had plenty of water that day, and basically nil sugar. Ive also got a headache right now, been getting them frequently since i started, but at least i know its for the good of me.

Played netty tonight, we lost by only a couple of goals, not a bad turnaround seeing as the exact same team beat us by 18 goals exactly two weeks ago.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2009, 06:09PM »
Keep at it bro, like I said, it's bett than doing nothing mate.. :)

Ryan your plan sounds good but the hardest part is starting something like that. One thing I change and worked was when I realised how much carbs/fattening things at night I used to eat. I already had a big appettite so one thing that worked for me so far was basically breakfast would be like between 7-9 weetbix + banana which would keep me full until lunch which has been Helga Wholemeal (I used to hate it but tastes pretty good and seems to last longer) sandwhich with tuna and at night time something low like.... and never thought I would but a a salad.

I have always hated salad except for tomatos (I know its a fruit  ::)), onions, capsicum (love the yellow) etc but hated the lettuce/cucumber aspect. I started by eating a lot of Nando's Chicken salad which has paid off and now can eat salad with or without meat.

I did this for about a month or 2 (though taking it seriously) but than slackened off for a few months and went back to T/Way, sneaky Kayfaas here and there.. lol but than went back to it for the last 2 months. I used to wake up and walk 20 min, skip for 10 than warmdown everyday but sort of slackened off though I have been walking heaps anyways.

I used to be 90+ a few months ago but am now around 80ish. The main weight I am trying to lose is around the stomach (which a lot people face lol). When exams finish, will be going back gym as well as I know how much that burns. Will be working out without taking too much protein which will help burn than will go back to Mass gain/ripping up etc. One thing that I want to do before going back to Mass building is rebuilding my cardio. I used to be really fit... its amazing when you finish school how easy it is to slack off.

No point in gaining muscle if your cardio is low.

TBH I think this online journal that we are all doing will work in the long run. Its good to see each other's progress, recieve feedback on what works and what doesn't for some etc. I call this be a sticky...

Enough from me... :)
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2009, 06:11PM by Habib86 »
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2009, 11:26PM »
Ryan your plan sounds good but the hardest part is starting something like that.

yeh i thought it would be impossible.. but 2 days after starting it, i probably just had a good day, but i was able to cycle home into a strong wind without getting very minimal lactic acid burn in my legs, which hadn't happened in a very long time.. i figured my body just had the right amount of stuff to keep me going from the diet.. so after that, i kept at it. but yeh, i have been finding it real hard to stay on the diet and do excercise since mum passed away.. i havent'd skipped or cycled since and i've only done weights maybe 5 times.. i've also gone back to drinking way too much bourbon. i havent put any on.. but its not good cause it'll probably pile back on soon if i don't get my shit sorted out :(

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2009, 07:54PM »
I drink a lot of tea and water, and although I can't claim scientifically fantasticamagical results, I do find that drinking so much tends to keep me feeling full, or at least, not feeling like I need to eat, so I get the urge to snack less.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #29 on: Jun 22, 2009, 09:54AM »
yeh lots of water is the key.