Author Topic: ca20e in a kb laser  (Read 2674 times)

Offline krip88

• antrx.com junior member
ca20e in a kb laser
« on: Apr 8, 2010, 01:09PM »
hey guy, just wanted your honest opinion, would it be possible to put a ca20e and manual gear box into a ford laser kb? the big worry is the space in the engine bay. not alot of room under there. i have tried to see what other people have done to their lasers but nothing but putting a uber rare white lighting 1.5 turbo motor which only puts out about the 80ish kws. i only suggest the ca20e because its easy to find and is one of the first motors i have pulled apart and put back to gather a few times. or if this is no good please suggest any other motors that may fit the bill. not looking for crazy output but something around 90-100kws would be good with power to weight ratio.   

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
Re: ca20e in a kb laser
« Reply #1 on: Apr 9, 2010, 04:45AM »
I don't know about the ca20 engine fitting, but the later laser tx3s had  the 1.8L BP turbo engine, or the 1.6L turbo. I was considering a transplant of the BPT to my girlfriends old 1985 mazda 323, and from what I found it was a reasonably easy swap, made easier that they are the same chassis. Output is 100kw for the 1.6 and 117kw for the 1.8L.

Hope I shed some light on that for ya.
nothing.

Offline krip88

« Reply #2 on: Apr 9, 2010, 01:00PM »
i thought about that but had very little luck finding any, or i could find the motor only to have the turbo removed, i was just thinking the ca20 becasue ive got one at home, also no one has done it defore i dont think?

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 9, 2010, 07:20PM »
But it's a shit motor
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Apr 9, 2010, 11:21PM »
1.8L BP turbo engine, or the 1.6L turbo.

Winrar.

But it's a shit motor

+1.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2010, 06:40PM »
Dude.

The BP motor is found in mx5's..so now you say "oh but it's rwd".. guess what. You know the aussie delivered 323? it's a bp engine in fwd!

Toda make an arseload of parts for the BP engine too, including fat cams  ;D
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline krip88

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2010, 11:07PM »
i do like those but still finding one for resonable price???? like i said i only metioned this motor because ive got one with a manual out the back. would prefure a bpt but from what ive found out it is alot easier to put a b6t with gear box as its sizes are close. or i could just chuck a webber on it and see were that takes me but the e5 motor is crappy. anyone see a b6t for sale?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Apr 11, 2010, 12:38PM »
The CA20 will blow a headgaset before you even try start it.

Why don't you sell it and get something more mod-friendly?
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline krip88

« Reply #8 on: Apr 11, 2010, 05:00PM »
probably right. did find a new weber for it for $150, might chuck that on instead, hell of alot less work and should at least keep me up with the rest of the crowed.