Author Topic: R31 skyline misfire  (Read 9415 times)

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
R31 skyline misfire
« on: Jun 18, 2006, 09:01PM »
 Hey guys (and girls),

Despite recently spending quite a few $$$$ on the beast for major service and repair of fuel leak/s, among other problems, another problem has now sprung up with my Aussie R31 Skyline (NA RB30E). I have come across the problem before in another R31, but stuffed if i can remember what it was   ???

It goes like this: It is misfiring at times, especially when cold. This is despite fresh spark plugs less than a fortnight ago. Once warm, the engine will act normally if driven kindly. However, drive a bit harder or put your foot down a bit for a hill and the engine loses power and car loses speed. The engine also misfires at this stage, making a rapid put-put sound  :(

Anyone come across this before and can tell me what it is, or alternativly throw some ideas out there to stimulate my memory??

cheers

BB

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: R31 skyline misfire
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2006, 09:32PM »
Fuel filter?

Grab the diagnostic codes off your ECU and see if there's anything amiss there, then I'd check the AFM and TPS.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2006, 09:37PM »
Fuel filter?

Grab the diagnostic codes off your ECU and see if there's anything amiss there, then I'd check the AFM and TPS.

Fuel filter also replaced the other week  ???

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2006, 09:53PM »
something to do with the afm id say, if its not the fuel filter, which i would still check anyway

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Xedus101

• antrx.com junkie
  • It's ATTESA time baby!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2006, 01:54AM »
Like the others have said it sounds like it's fuel/air related. ECU will hopefully point you in the right direction.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2006, 04:12AM »
Like someone said air flow meter. Once they have done anything over 200000km in R31's the afm gets abit untrustworthy.
If thats not it check rotor button and all leads.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2006, 03:21PM »
For those playing at home, it seems that it was dodgy electrical connection somewhere along the line with the fuel pump  :(
After pulling the bast@rd out, along with the ecu, no real problem could be found, just a wire come loose somewhere that is now reconnected. A mate also suggested the alarm/immobiliser may be playing up with it a bit but we'll see how we go

Thanks for your suggestions, all were considered. Stay tuned for more problems (more than likely) in the near future  :(

BB