Author Topic: HNU13 Sluggish Power  (Read 2632 times)

Offline awd2.0t

• antrx.com junior member
HNU13 Sluggish Power
« on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:02PM »
This problem seems similar to what Budgie had on his Bluey this time last year where the car seems sluggish on the power except once you get the revs up and over 3500 rpm.  However it seems to drive normal in 1st gear.

Siimilar to Budgie my original leads lasted 160,000 km's and were replaced with what I believe to be OEM leads and given I've only driven 10,000 kms in just over 12 months I find it hard to believe they're knackered already?

Is it anything else that it could be? or is it likely to be the leads again?

Cheers,
Sean. 

Offline awd2.0t

Re: HNU13 Sluggish Power
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:10PM »
The car has just started doing this again where it feels like I'm driving with the Handbrake on in all gears.

Boost pressure is still normal, engine idles fine and still seems rev normally in neutral, it just feels like under load the power is getting sucked away.  & more so as the revs build.

Would rather fix it before it completely dies and leaves me stranded somewhere..

Standard repairs previously completed & hopefully to be ruled out are re-built alternator, Starter, & replaced Leads & water pump. 

Any ideas??

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14, 2011, 07:16PM »
Weird, my car was one of the leads arcing to the cylinder head (had a small crack in the side where it connects to the park plug).

My latest U13 issue (KA24DE mind you...) was a distributor oil seal leaking. Made it stall and run like shit. I just cleaned it out and drilled some small holes in the bottom of the distributor like other U13 owners have done to drain the oil after it enters through the seal. The seal in question is quite a prick to fix. Its been good for 25,000km since I drilled the holes.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14, 2011, 11:50PM »
The dreaded knock sensor maybe? Put the ECU into diagnostic mode and see if there are any error codes.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline awd2.0t

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2011, 11:49AM »
It was better this morning??  Car is definitely female!!

My other thought was it might be a fuel issue.  Normally I fill up before the light comes on and the other day I was a bit slack.  So I might have to change the fuel filter.

I'll see if I can get me mechanic to check those two points of the oil seal and the knock sensor & provide update soon.