Author Topic: Roadworthy checks  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Roadworthy checks
« on: Feb 19, 2012, 08:37AM »
Does anyone think we should have manditory roadworthy checks say annually as part of registration?  maybe after the car is say 3yrs old.

Obviously in other countries this happens, not sure if it makes a difference or not to road safety and the number of broken down/dumped cars on the side of the road.
I just see a fair amount of shitboxes driving around that probably never get a roadworthy check because they are constantly registered, and not sold... drivers don't give a crap.
Might just be some pointless money making regulation to some people though.

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Roadworthy checks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:44AM »
Who wears the cost though? It'd also cause a lot of frustration at the mechanics on both parties. Given that it would be mandatory, I'd dare say you'd see an increase in pointless "you need this for a rwc" items.

Quite frankly, I work 6-7 days a week, i don't want my day off spent waiting around at the mechanics for them to go over it. There's also a lot to say for those "questionably legal" modifications, if you get caught out - i.e something comes up (death, birth, etc) mid modification so you don't have time to tidy up loose ends, or just lose track of when reg is due.

Is body rust a thing they check for in a roadworthy? I thought it was just leaking fluids? On that note, I was dribbling fluids for the last few months - granted I pulled my car off the road when I was leaking fuel, that shit's scary, but a slooow drip of coolant? And my car would be pulled off for that despite it being mid-repair.

Some people just don't care about their car - I'd like to say they shouldn't be driving it, but I used to be one of those people - I genuinly couldn't spare a weekend to service the car, and I didn't really care to be totally honest, didn't mean I was less entitled to drive a car because it was old. Granted mine was always atleast cleanish, panels werent falling off etc... but I doubt it'd pass a roadworthy. Shifter boot was torn, so It definitely wouldnt have, actually...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2012, 11:23AM »
No.

I don't want to have to use valuable annual leave to sit around at a mechanics like andrew said to tell me that my car is roadworthy.

Most places are "picky" to the point that they gouge people for repair costs that don't necessarily need to fix.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2012, 08:26AM »
I can see that some mechanics may take advantage of such a regulation.  I have never sat around or wasted a day waiting for a mechanic... or there are mobile mechanics.

The whole point is that it would ensure people are maintaining their vehicle properly.  Personally it's been helpful that we don't have such regulation, but if we did, I would probably have a modern car with far less potential issues.  It seems like there is always something that needs replacing these days!

It would make buying a second hand car a hell of a lot easier as if it was currently registered it would have a decent chance of being roadworthy.  Can't say that of the system to use now.
Thinking about it, I'm doubtful anyone here would support such a system (given that it would be nasty to backyard/young enthusiests).  From speaking to people from NZ or the UK, they find it amazing that we dont have such a system.  NZ I think is every 6 months!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:44AM »
Well, in qld, our cars don't have to go over the pits or checks etc, I just pay $50 for a fake roady, written in 5 minutes, don't get me wrong, my car should pass a proper one, this is just cheaper, faster and a lot less hassle.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:00AM »
Well, in qld, our cars don't have to go over the pits or checks etc, I just pay $50 for a fake roady, written in 5 minutes, don't get me wrong, my car should pass a proper one, this is just cheaper, faster and a lot less hassle.

I dont really like the sound of that.. what u gonna do if u crash and ur insurance and the cops find out u have a Fake RWC? u will be f**ked! Not saying ur lazy Aaron but people that do that kinda thing are the ones u see driving around in a Bomb of a car that has shit hanging off it,Rust all over it, Blown lights etc! Their just lazy And don't give a fly F**k and wreck it for the people doing the right thing.

TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:18AM »
Tell me, how will I be fucked ? It's a legit roadworthy, done by a dodgy guy, it doesn't affect me one little bit.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:00AM »
Tell me, how will I be fucked ? It's a legit roadworthy, done by a dodgy guy, it doesn't affect me one little bit.
Ah thought u meant its a fake Road worthy certificate that was Made up by a random bloke on a Computer.
« Last Edit: Feb 20, 2012, 11:02AM by JAWSTRX! »
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:10AM »
Does anyone think we should have manditory roadworthy checks say annually as part of registration?  maybe after the car is say 3yrs old.

Obviously in other countries this happens, not sure if it makes a difference or not to road safety and the number of broken down/dumped cars on the side of the road.
I just see a fair amount of shitboxes driving around that probably never get a roadworthy check because they are constantly registered, and not sold... drivers don't give a crap.
Might just be some pointless money making regulation to some people though.

What state are we talking about? In NSW you have to get a pink slip each year (roadworthy check for rego). For new cars I believe a roadworthy is after 5 years.

NSW is pretty strict. Of course it also depends on the mechanic you take it to.  Some do an inspection, others just look over the car and if they think it is in good condition they will write one up for you.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:39PM »
I'm in VIC. didn't realise any states did it in Aus.  So whats the NSW opinion? 

Offline JAWSTRX!

• antrx.com junkie
  • TRX STYLE!!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:45PM »
I think Yearly is Bad enough as it cost's me a shitload to get the rego done on the trx but i wouldn't mind every 6 months if that will stop these shit box's i see daily on the road's ie: Saw a Commy the other day, broken headlight,flat wornout tyre's, a garbage back taped over a window due to being removed or broken...  saw another car with rust in it,bumper's hanging off..

that's why i want half yearly check's even if it means spending a few days fixing my car so i can get by..
I wanna see all these Unroadworthy cars taken off the road.
TRX 1-FORD FALCON 0