Author Topic: Exedy HD clutch vs. oem clutch.  (Read 7402 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Exedy HD clutch vs. oem clutch.
« on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:44PM »
I ordered a HD Exedy sports tuff clutch for my ka24e to go with my JUN flywheel, now, it doesn't feel anything like my xtreme button clutch, it feels EXACTLY the same as my oem clutch that just came out, this suppose to be right ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Exedy HD clutch vs. oem clutch.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:09PM »
Is the load of the pressure plate the same?

It could be that the xtreme clutch had a higher rated pressure plate, and the exedy clutch is closer to stock. Being a hydraulic clutch if there isnt much of a difference in pressure plate over stock you wont notice, where as if it was a cable clutch you would notice it a lot more.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:19PM »
Hang on, we just found out the clutch slave cylinder, I think it is, is fucked, would that affect the feel of the clutch ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:02AM »
Yep. That will do it, since it actuates the release fork to the clutch.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:38AM »
I found my exidy HD felt very similar to the OEM.  Button clutches are too heavy for daily IMO.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:35AM »
I found the button clutches far better in every aspect even for daily driving, slow, fast, etc, they shit all over everything else. Still, the HD, should be stiffer than those oem pieces of shit. Even if it's slightly stiffer, I'll be happy, after all, driving a Dc2, their clutches are not much stiffer than our oem. I'll do the slave cylinder and get back to this.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• antrx.com senior member
  • L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2012, 11:28PM »
I'm the same as Col, my HD clutch feels quite similar to the original spec one I had in before I swapped. I rekon it's slightly stiffer but not heaps.
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:33AM »
I suppose that's thread closed than, changed the slave cylinder, and it is stiffer, they are only slightly stiffer than oem, but at least they do have "some" pressure behind them, still not what I expected, I expected better, I expected not as stiff as my button clutch that still sits in the corsair, but still alot stiffer than it is, in my opinion, if you want stiff, go for a button clutch, they are amazing, even for daily.

I will just have to make do with this [language filter smackdown]got clutch.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:45AM »
If you want stiffer then get the oem or hd clutch with a higher rated pressure plate, then you'll get your pedal stiffness your after.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2012, 11:09AM »
paul is correct. the heaver/stiffer pedal feel is because of the higher rated pressure plate. that multi button xclutch you got from me had a higher rated pressure plate ready for the turbo.

the heavy duty that you are buying when you buy an exedy clutch is a more resilient compound on the disc compared to the standard compound. they're still rated at the same clamping force as stock most of the time.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:59PM »
If only i knew all this before i spent $400 on a pretty pink clutch that feels shit :(
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:10AM »
Buying a clutch is not primarily about "feel".

You're buying a clutch on it's rated torque holding capacity. Your Exedy clutch won't feel much different to an OE clutch since it's torque holding capacity is most likely 10-20% greater offered by an OE clutch. I know, i have one in my black car and it feels the same as the OE clutch in my daily trx.

Honestly, you could fit a twin plate clutch and have it feel like the OE clutch in terms of pedal pressure, but it will be rated to over double the torque holding capacity that the OE clutch has.

Also....a stronger pressure plate is not necessarily a good thing. When you disengage the clutch, all that load goes onto your thrust bearing on the crank.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #12 on: Mar 9, 2012, 12:32PM »
^^ I like this guy....

Sounds weird, but I know the trx is faster than the corsair was but with the lightened flywheel the throttle is softer and more responsive but also having the softer clutch, I don't know, I guess it's all in the feel of the pedals, the whole car feels lighter to drive. But the corsair felt alot faster with the stiff button clutch and stiffer throttle due to heavier flywheel.

None of that probably makes sense. But I take it it's a good thing to have soft clutch pedals, well good for the car but not the feel, that's if that's what you like..
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS