Author Topic: Nissan Avenir - 5 stud hubs - What hubs do I have?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
Guys. I'm working on my car at the moment doing various things, most recent was replacing the CV shaft oil seal as the previous one I installed was a little crooked and leaked oil when I did an gearbox oil change. All good now though, used genuine nissan seal ($27). Repco charged $22 for generic!

Anyways I am trying to work out what hubs I have at the front. They are 4 stud hubs.

The Nissan Avenir came with 5 stud hubs. I am confident the donor engine and car was an avenir mainly because of the turbo fitted and grey valve cover. Now the rotors at the front are 4 studs holes to fit onto 4 stud hubs. Yet the disc rotors on the front of the car came from the Nissan Avenir donor car according to Dano. The mounting bracket is for twin piston callipers.

My question then is: Can the U12 hubs accept mounting brackets for twin piston callipers? The brakes and possibly parts like callipers are closest match to the A32 Nissan Maxima (produced during the same year period) so makes sense of Nissan to share these parts.

Just wondering what car my hubs are from?

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
Re: Nissan Avenir - 5 stud hubs - What hubs do I have?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 8, 2013, 06:32PM »
I am pretty sure the twin u13 fit u12. I think noss had them
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 8, 2013, 11:06PM »
I am pretty sure the twin u13 fit u12. I think noss had them

I probably have standard U12 hubs. Dano wouldn't have swapped these for another 4 stud hub (wouldn't make any sense, only if upgrading to 5 stud).

I might check the hubs of the maxima as well, particularly with regards to the number of splines inside.

Would the U12 axle splines fit into a '32 series gearbox'. I would think this would have to be custom?

Yeah I was surprised but the mounting bracket bolts on if that is the case. I might get a A32 calliper from the wrecker just to check if they are the same. I'm going to put new seals in the callipers as they are originals. Also check the condition of the pistons.

Thanks Pedro. How is your ride going?

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 8, 2013, 11:24PM »
its getting there... he may have done the hybrid/ custom shafts. i have had to do it , mainly on the left shaft.

skype_shannan801

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Aug 9, 2013, 09:52AM »
The 32 series gearbox are a cable clutch. If yours isnt a cable clutch its likely to be a 50's series sr bellhousing with a KA outer casing and gearset allowing you to use stock driveshafts.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 9, 2013, 10:09AM »
The 32 series gearbox are a cable clutch. If yours isnt a cable clutch its likely to be a 50's series sr bellhousing with a KA outer casing and gearset allowing you to use stock driveshafts.

Dano made a custom bracket to use to retain the hydraulic clutch for the cable clutch 32 series. I should take a photo.

Can you still get the 50 series SR20 bell housing? It's a bit of mucking around to get the box to match up with an SR20? My 32 series box is good but from what I have heard they sh*t themselves quite often with decent power upgrades.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Aug 9, 2013, 10:18AM »
I got the bellhousing sent over from New Zealand, I wouldnt try locating it in Australia. I took it to a shop, they did the conversion, I know that the bellhousing had to be machined to fit the ka internals, but at the end of the day it was well worth it.

And if i chew through a box, all I need to do is replace the internals with KA internals and away I go. Also means standard driveshafts etc.

I would be interested to see how he has done the bracket for the clutch.

Also using the 50's series box, means you can use an sr20 awd flywheel and larger clutch, which believe me makes a massive difference.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Aug 9, 2013, 12:22PM »
I got the bellhousing sent over from New Zealand, I wouldnt try locating it in Australia. I took it to a shop, they did the conversion, I know that the bellhousing had to be machined to fit the ka internals, but at the end of the day it was well worth it.

And if i chew through a box, all I need to do is replace the internals with KA internals and away I go. Also means standard driveshafts etc.

I would be interested to see how he has done the bracket for the clutch.

Also using the 50's series box, means you can use an sr20 awd flywheel and larger clutch, which believe me makes a massive difference.

What did they have to do to get it to match (the bellhousing to the KA Box). Do you think the KA box is stronger then the 32 series box or are they pretty much the same. I like the idea of the bigger flywheel and larger clutch :D    PLUS   standard driveshafts. Is NZ the best place to look for these bellhousings. Also what car am I trying to get the bellhousing from (so I know what to search).

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #8 on: Aug 9, 2013, 08:24PM »
Id PM Dozer on the forums and see if he knows anywhere that has the bellhousings. I believe it was a u12 (sr18de) from memory but I could be wrong.

The 50's series boxes are definitely stronger than the 32 series boxes.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2013, 10:57PM »
or you could get gearsets 70 series from a qg18de(maybe qg16 also) from an n16 and do the same. not sure on the ratios though since you have the 30 series housing..good to have options

skype_shannan801

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2013, 10:15AM »
or you could get gearsets 70 series from a qg18de(maybe qg16 also) from an n16 and do the same. not sure on the ratios though since you have the 30 series housing..good to have options

Do you mean N16 gearset in a 32 series? Not sure if it fits.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2013, 12:55PM »
neither am I fully. but you have the case and you can get the qg18 pretty cheaply, however I am not sure if they have LSD. I don't think the qg16 works. Alternatively get a g20 box...Kranzys suggestion maybe easier for shafts. I think the u13 shaft will fit the 70 g20 drivers side, but will confirm Friday.

skype_shannan801

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2013, 10:33PM »
Dozer doesn't really know where he can get the 50 series bellhousing to match an SR20. I would think as well a 50 series bellhousing that suits SR20 motors is rarer than the 70 series. RWD car gearboxes are so much beefier stock. Should have thought of that before I got me a FWD car haha!

Offline pedro666

• post whore

skype_shannan801