Author Topic: U13 not running right  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
U13 not running right
« on: Nov 20, 2007, 09:45AM »
Hey guys. my bluey has been going good lately, but last week it refused to start up. it started, and died within 5 seconds ..it was shuddering heaps and kind of stalled.. i checked all my leads etc. then i figured it seemed like a fuel prob. cause it sparked up fine and kind of stalled out like i ran out of fuel. i shook the fuel filter and it started up fine.. all was fine again (for at least 4 days) now yesterday it did the same thing again. and it took more shaking/banging to get it started. and then it started being a douche.

If i got the revs too high (over 2k) it was shuddering while i was driving along. its kind of hard to explain...but if i was accelerating it was kind of like i was tapping the breaks so lighty the car was kind of chugging. and it went away after about 15mins of driving it.

so the car starts fine this morning....but it was still doing the chugging thingy. so i went to supercheap to get a new fuel filter to try. the guy suggest i tried the nulon ..total fuel cleaner stuff... and said let it run for a few days then change your filter.. so i put that stuff in at the servo before i filled up on vortex ( i ALWAYS use premium, have for the last 8 months..from caltex) now i thought id go for a drive to get it working through and cleaning. so i drove out of the servo and took a long way back home..probably a 15min drive. about 5 mins from home the car was shuddering so much worse. and it had lost all power pretty much ..i kind of ran ok idle. but when i put my foot down to accelerate it was chugging and even lighty backfiring randomly. i mean the car was hardly going and it was chugging and jerking all over the shop. and closer to home it was backfireing slightly more. so i pulled up out the front and poped the hood, and there was light smoke comming from the back of the engine. so i let it settle, and tried running it a few more times with the same results... at idle it kind of runs smooth but as soon as i put the accel down it goes to hell.

I just have a BRAND NEW dizzy AND ignition coil put on in september. it has new spark plugs put in in october, oil change not long ago either. i checked the air filter and it wasnt overly dirty (no more than normal) but i bashed it out anyway.

Anyone have any ideas at all? i will change the fuel filter later, i dont want to use the filter if its clearly not it.

Offline Black_Serenade

Re: U13 not running right
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2007, 10:42AM »
update. i just went and changed the fuel filter and tried to let it run a little. and its still doing it..backfiring and shaking the whole car when i accelerate.

When it idles it sounds normal but i hear faint ..pop pop comming the exaust..as soon as i put any kind of pressure on the accel. it shudders and shakes and backfires more and more.  Im not sure but i think i might have heard a metallic tingle in the muffler when i accelerated to about 5krpm but im not sure..its not there now..

any ideas? =(

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:03AM »
This may sounds stupid but have you checked that all connectors are not loose? Also, have you done something recently to cause this problem. Just trying to back track on possibilities. :)

Offline Black_Serenade

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2007, 11:06AM »
i pulled off all my leads and plugged em back in and stuff. Na it was running fine untill it started being a dog.

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:39PM »
Just a wild shot, it kinda sounds like what my N13 SSS did when i had it. It ended up being a farked ECU, which happened twice. Can't say i've heard of a U13 ECU failing, but perhaps if you can swap ECU's with someone's who's is running right and try it, might be worth a stab in the dark?????

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2007, 05:46PM »
I would be checking the Dizzy. KA24DE dizzys have a problem with leaking from the seal in the back of them. U13's and D22 Navara spec KA24DE's all do it.

Them reason I mention it because it would cause the syptoms described.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2007, 09:02PM »
i pulled off all my leads and plugged em back in and stuff. Na it was running fine untill it started being a dog.

Did you take all the leads of the dizzy/block at once? Are you sure you have the right firing order??
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"