Author Topic: Bluebird AWD  (Read 5200 times)

Offline Vithy

• post whore
Bluebird AWD
« on: Apr 20, 2010, 05:15PM »
I have some interesting information for those of you interested in the u13 attesa system.

Well i herd a rumour that some guy apparently pulled the front drive shafts out of his car to make it rwd and in doing so lost reverse as reverse only drove the front wheels apparently. I wasnt sure to believe it but it did sound interesting as it would be a wierd thing to make up, but.

Recently got confirmation on that as my mate recently in the hills got his u13bird stuck in the hills. The rear wheels were on the ground and the front were left in the air, he needed to go backwards to get the car out of the situation it was in as tried reversing. But only the front wheels span and thus the car was stuck.

Anyone have explination for this?
Does this confirm wat i remember hearing that the bluebirds awd systems are front biast???

Food for thought, thought id share it wid you all.

So anyone thinking bout making their daily bb rwd dont coz ull lose reverse :P
"Noss is God"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Bluebird AWD
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2010, 06:09PM »
Interesting stuff.

I can see no mechanical reason for the car to be FWD only when in reverse gear. Nothing inside the centre differential or transfer case changes when reverse is engaged (or does it! :P).

Hummmm ... Jason? Lgee?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2010, 06:43PM »
Mmmmm my thoughts exactly! I was hopin someone like as u say Jason or Lgee have a explanation for it. or if its just some wierd bluebird trait like on the u12 boxes how there is a screw that make the fwd lol :S
"Noss is God"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2010, 06:49PM »
Yeah, a 1/8" square hole on the top of the U12 CA18DET (only) transfer case, that turns a rod which slides some bits inside the transfer case, moving the rear output away so it does not recieve any drive.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2010, 09:03PM »
If it's open diff and 2 wheels are off the ground would it be the case that no power is making it to the rear wheels and causing the front wheels to spin only. Isn't that why you need to weld the box up to convert it to a 2wd system?
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2010, 11:08PM »
your all smokin weed, bunch of crack heads the lot of you, i will come back with the real story, or an elaborate concotion of bullshit that sounds so realistic that it must be true. My car is on the hoist at work at the moment so if i put it in reverse and spin the front wheels the back ones will not move, oright the antrxbusters are on the job. budgie you can play the part of the guy that always hurts himself, unfortunatly there is no middle aged fat guy in the program so that counts out me and adam, SSS can be adam savage, we nee some one with an outta control mo that wears a beret, ah fuk it i will play that part.

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2010, 12:01AM »
your all smokin weed, bunch of crack heads the lot of you, i will come back with the real story, or an elaborate concotion of bullshit that sounds so realistic that it must be true. My car is on the hoist at work at the moment so if i put it in reverse and spin the front wheels the back ones will not move, oright the antrxbusters are on the job. budgie you can play the part of the guy that always hurts himself, unfortunatly there is no middle aged fat guy in the program so that counts out me and adam, SSS can be adam savage, we nee some one with an outta control mo that wears a beret, ah fuk it i will play that part.

LOL!
antrxbusters definately not the answer i was expecting but its welcome :D
"Noss is God"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2010, 07:52AM »
gold laurence, gold :)

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2010, 04:52PM »
go rip ya handbrake on and jack up the front, chuck in reverse and find out..
also try jacking up a corner at a time while your at it.
the diffs may vary between cars as well, eg mine has a crap condition center. 

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2010, 11:29PM »
jack up the front, chuck in reverse and find out..

I just had an image of a jack sitting in the middle of a concrete slab with a bumper bar hanging off it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2010, 07:37PM »
This is pretty interesting. On another note, Is this my poor old bluebird getting 'Stuck' in the hills?
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2010, 08:22PM »
This is pretty interesting. On another note, Is this my poor old bluebird getting 'Stuck' in the hills?

hahaha yeaaaaa, 3 point turn or some shit fail lol i dunno i wasnt there.
"Noss is God"

Offline awd2.0t

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #12 on: Apr 22, 2010, 09:27PM »
I remember posting a similar problem on the old Yahoo forum years ago.

Basically we were at the snow and trying to reverse up a hill and the front wheels (with the chains) didn't spin and the back did.

So without a doubt it engages all wheels in reverse.  When I last tried to work it out why mine only did the rear wheels, the only thing we could think of was the centre diff was not transferring power properly.

The other theory was and some one will be able to explain this better than I, but the power went to the wheels with the least resistance.  As opposed to the newer systems where they transfer the power to the wheels with traction.

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2010, 10:37PM »
I remember posting a similar problem on the old Yahoo forum years ago.

Basically we were at the snow and trying to reverse up a hill and the front wheels (with the chains) didn't spin and the back did.

So without a doubt it engages all wheels in reverse.  When I last tried to work it out why mine only did the rear wheels, the only thing we could think of was the centre diff was not transferring power properly.

The other theory was and some one will be able to explain this better than I, but the power went to the wheels with the least resistance.  As opposed to the newer systems where they transfer the power to the wheels with traction.

hmmmm that theory if correct would explain y my car does such good u turns in the wet wid a good old skando :)

all in all its all very interesting the theories, ideas and stories that are out their bout the bb drivetrain
"Noss is God"

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2010, 05:54PM »
well the center diff is open isn't it with a viscous coupling...?
so why would it not transfer to the end which is off the ground?

bluebirds? the interesting nissan with questions as
difficult as the deep sea is hard to get to the bottom of.

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Apr 23, 2010, 07:30PM »
well the center diff is open isn't it with a viscous coupling...?
so why would it not transfer to the end which is off the ground?

bluebirds? the interesting nissan with questions as
difficult as the deep sea is hard to get to the bottom of.

my thoughts exactly my understanding is u13 have 3 diffs so unles it is purposely designed to only run fwd in reverse i dont get y power wouldnt go to the rear unles the diff is fucked, but then i would assume if diff is fucked ud have similar results in forward gears and yet the bb i speak of specifically is VERY! tail happy compared to my 12. And tail happy isnt really a fwd trait.
"Noss is God"

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2010, 10:15PM »
It's tail happy because of his tyres.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2010, 11:42AM »
It's tail happy because of his tyres.

he put new ones on tho :S
"Noss is God"

Offline dozer

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2010, 03:36PM »
new crap one's don't count.  :P

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2010, 08:28PM »
If it's open diff and 2 wheels are off the ground would it be the case that no power is making it to the rear wheels and causing the front wheels to spin only. Isn't that why you need to weld the box up to convert it to a 2wd system?

I'll second that. I saw the rubbish he put on it when he bought it.

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #20 on: Apr 25, 2010, 11:43AM »
I'll second that. I saw the rubbish he put on it when he bought it.
hahahaha fair enough
"Noss is God"

Offline Jason

• U12/13 mixer
  • antrx.com senior member
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2010, 09:05PM »
They have have a centre viscous coupling so if the front was off the ground it should spin them without spinning the back wheels, (twice the speed however). Its the same principal as jacking up 1 wheel on a 2wd vehicle, the wheel in the air will spin and the car wont drive.
As for only the front wheels driving in reverse, cant be true, they are viscous couplings, there is no ratchet or clutch device in the gearbox or transfer that would allow it to work any different in reverse than a forward gear.