Author Topic: possible cheap turbo manifold idea  (Read 1871 times)

trxadelaide

possible cheap turbo manifold idea
« on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:27PM »
Im really not sure if any1 has brought this up b4 as i have been unable 2 locate anything by using the search function.

My idea is 2 firstly take a pair of Ka24e extractors, cut off the piping b4 the pipes meld into one single piple. Then buy whaever turbo manifold and turbo u want from a jap wreckers, e.g. sr20,fj20,ca18 or whatever and cut the end that bolts on2 the turbo on the manifold off. Then bassically weld the end of this manifold onto the end of the extractor piping. I was thinking it may require sum extra piping 2 b welded on2 the end of the extractors where they were u cut them.

I have spoken 2 a mate of mine who has just started a mechanical engineering apprentiship and he tends to think that it would work. Altho he cant b sure because he hasn't worked with this sort of thing b4 but when i popped the bonner, took sum measurements and drew a few sketches he sed it sounds like a good cheap alternative.

Considering that sum turbo's and manifolds can b purchased for $550 and MUCH MUCH less depending on how popular they r and a set of extractors would retail for around $250 it makes sense 2 me!. Alternatively u could sourse an original KA24E manifold and cut that up which would b much cheaper but would probably produce lesser gains in power.

If i was 2 go ahead with an idea such as this i would only b looking 2 increase the power of my car by possibly 35-40KW so i dont c that being a problem. Im not really wanting a high flow, high psi setup capable of 200 plus FWKW.

What do u guyz think?

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
Re: possible cheap turbo manifold idea
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:31PM »
if ya going to go to that much trouble u may as well have a go @making yout own manifold using steam pipe

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:41PM »
some of sssgtr's manifolds wont be that expensive from what he has been telling me.. he has decided to make log style manifolds for those on a budget and equal length ones for those that are crazy about their power..

the idea is good, and there was a write up in hot4s about it a few months back. but i personally wouldnt do it cause you have the weight of the turbo hanging off the piping (they're not light) and the possibility of extra heat associated with turbos.. its not good..

turbo manifolds are generally made with a much heavier grade piping than extractors to over come this, their design also takes into consideration how much weight they will have to hold.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

trxadelaide

« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:48PM »
hmm.. interesting. I never saw that writeup in Hot4's. u couldn't tell me what issue is was could u please Noss?

Yeah another idea was 2 just use the template from the extractors that bolts on 2 the head and then completely remove all the piping and weld on my own. This would illiminate the problem of the turbo putting 2 much stress on the manifold.

Ill have 2 check if it would even b financially viable tho when compared 2 purchasing a redy made manifold from SSSGTR etc.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:55PM »
its pg 113 of issue #95

its just about turbo charging an na car, but they do mention puttingturbos on standard extractors

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline zac510

• antrx.com junior member
  • Not a llama, thanks!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:21PM »
In all honestly, if you're too tight to spend $550 on a manifold then you really shouldn't be thinking about a turbo conversion at all. I won't go into all the costs of it I'm sure it has been done before.

As for the flange, I got 3 flanges lasercut for $80. You might be able to get them plasma cut cheaper than this but I chose the accuracy of laser cutting from my own CAD file. This was done in 12mm thick steel and the steam pipes that form the manifold just run straight off it.

If you terminate a set of extractors then you might be putting the turbo down by the sump or under the engine which wouldn't be ideal for a number of reasons.

noss touched on the thickness of the pipes but some turbo and manifold can run upto 600++++ degrees on full load - this is not the type of temperature a set of extractors can sustain with the added weight of a turbo.