Author Topic: Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World  (Read 13913 times)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World
« on: May 27, 2005, 06:21PM »
EDIT: I changed the title of this thread, to save making more on on a similar topic

Schapelle Corby has been found guilty.

Here.

This sucks in so many ways.  Flame me all you want, I'm never going back to Indonesia.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2005, 11:00PM by Narxysus »
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
Re: Schapelle Corby
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 07:58PM »
You know what I find most perplexing about this?

1 person + 4.1kg of marijuana = 20 years in prison

as compared to

6 billion people on the planet + 5.5 trillion tobacco cigarettes produced every year = completely legal.

Tobacco and marijuana arguably have the same absolute effect on society (per cigaratte), and yet...

WHO Tobacco fact sheet

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:12PM »
Whether she is guilty or not, 20 years in jail for 4kg of marijuana is just fucked!
especially when you consider what the bali bombers got, seems to me that the judges are only interested in protecting their mates.

Why do Australians go to bali anyway? it looks like a shithole from what I've seen on TV etc. not that TV gives you a good idea, I studied Indonesian in high school (not by choice) and nothing I saw/learnt would make me want to go

..  someone enlighten me..

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 08:17PM »
You know what i find wrong about it...

4kg dope = 20 years
Blow up a whole nightclub full of people with a bomb = 2years

Go figure that one!!!

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 08:24PM »
Why do Australians go to bali anyway? it looks like a shithole from what I've seen on TV etc. not that TV gives you a good idea, I studied Indonesian in high school (not by choice) and nothing I saw/learnt would make me want to go

I've been, and I didn't enjoy it.  This was when I was younger, too, so I was still unbiased back then.  It's just somewhere less developed than here, but because it's such a tourist spot, they have the same (or similar) capitalist mentality as we do; that's hardly their fault, but it sure makes for an unpleasant vacation when you walk down the street and get harassed to purchase stuff anywhere you go.  Ridiculously high prices to start with (haggling, the pain in the arse that it is, is expected), and all you get is shit.  The best stuff I got from Bali?  A backpack and shoes that I bought from a large supermarket.  I took $250 with me, spent it all, and thoroughly regretted it.

Admittedly, it does have some nice scenic areas, but then, what country doesn't?

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 08:43PM »
It's stupid.. I think she was innocent.

How can they use 20 years of inprisonment against her with hardly any proof it was her..

stupid IMO. gg law system. that 1 judge fukd it up for her
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 08:47PM »
Also, I would like to mention:

I have never been exposed to illicit drugs of any sort here in Australia, in all my life.  Never had them, because I've never had access to them.

However, during my one week stay in Bali (this was when I was about 16), I was offered a sachet of marijuana whilst walking down the street, by a Balinese person.

Apparently, their drug laws are working.

:P

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 09:41PM »
Fuck Corby and fuck all of this shit.

I'm so damn sick of hearing about it all.

I have no intention of adding anything intelligent to this conversation, so I won't.  I will say only this.

I am leaving for bali with 6 other people on June the 26th.  I'm staying in a four star hotel, on the fourth floor (two rooms between us all) I intend to spend most of my time in the sun with my girlfriend and mates drinking a cold one and kicking back.  We will go do all the normal holiday things people do, see the sights, go do all the activities and what not.  Only one of the people I'm going with has been to Bali before, hes been 5 times.  He has a ball each time.

I'm glad she got put in jail, at least now any dickheads will think twice about smuggling anything into or out of denpasar international...

EDIT- Oh and I had plane tickets bought before ANY of this stuff erupted in the media.  Did everyone here 'hate indonesia' this much before Schapelle fucking Corby came on the scene?

And your point about pot and ciggy's, think about it.  Everyone I have ever known that smokes pot 'alot' is quite fucked up, most of them (not even generalising) are surfies from down the coast, Torquay and Lorne.  I don't know many people who are fucked up from smoking.  I am talking socially or mentally, not through the standard lung cancer or something like that.  Marijuana made all these dickheads slow at work, tired all the time... couldn't get jobs because they looked 'stoned'.  Don't under-estimate its destructiveness.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 09:49PM by Budgie »
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 09:56PM »
settle the fook down budge fudge, everyones entitled to an opinion. :P

As I said before I really don't give a shit if shes guilty or innocent, it's the sentence that shits me when compared to the bombers.

I feel for the families of those killed in the bali bombings when they hear that the indonesian "justice" system thinks that smuggling 4kg of marijuana is more serious than killing 202 innocent people.

I have never been exposed to illicit drugs of any sort here in Australia, in all my life. Never had them.
same

Offline r31vhead

• antrx.com junior member
  • Tuesday's coming, did you bring your coat?
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 10:11PM »
Fuck Corby and fuck all of this shit.

I'm so damn sick of hearing about it all.

I have no intention of adding anything intelligent to this conversation, so I won't.  I will say only this.

I am leaving for bali with 6 other people on June the 26th.  I'm staying in a four star hotel, on the fourth floor (two rooms between us all) I intend to spend most of my time in the sun with my girlfriend and mates drinking a cold one and kicking back.  We will go do all the normal holiday things people do, see the sights, go do all the activities and what not.  Only one of the people I'm going with has been to Bali before, hes been 5 times.  He has a ball each time.

I'm glad she got put in jail, at least now any dickheads will think twice about smuggling anything into or out of denpasar international...

EDIT- Oh and I had plane tickets bought before ANY of this stuff erupted in the media.  Did everyone here 'hate indonesia' this much before Schapelle fucking Corby came on the scene?

And your point about pot and ciggy's, think about it.  Everyone I have ever known that smokes pot 'alot' is quite fucked up, most of them (not even generalising) are surfies from down the coast, Torquay and Lorne.  I don't know many people who are fucked up from smoking.  I am talking socially or mentally, not through the standard lung cancer or something like that.  Marijuana made all these dickheads slow at work, tired all the time... couldn't get jobs because they looked 'stoned'.  Don't under-estimate its destructiveness.

So she's guilty is she?

You were right about not adding anything intelligent to the conversation  ::)
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

http://www.r31skylineclub.com

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 10:27PM »

What I dislike here is not the fact that she deserved it or whatever, or that she got a harsh sentence, but more that the judges dismissed evidence presented in support of her innocence.  They did not make all possible efforts to prove her guilty beyond reasonable doubt before sentencing her for a crime she may or may not have committed (the baggage handler stuff in Sydney, for example).

How would you like it if the law system you were exposed to failed to take into account substantive evidence in favour of your innocence if you were charged with a crime?  Moreso, what if everyone who heard about your plight had your quoted attitude toward it all?  How do you think you would feel?  Would justice be served?

There's a reason I used the term "absolute", Budgie.  Discounting the fact that people who smoke 'alot' would likely be just as fucked up at a heavy marijuana smoker (albeit in different ways), you count 'socially or mentally' into the effects marijuana has: in that same respect, I'm including many other costs into that of tobacco smoking.  Things like the cost to the health system, the money spent on tobacco related illness that could be spent on other health issues, the increasing incidence of athsma in society, the increased risk of heart diseases, the poorer quality of life in general... I think my point is valid.

Did everyone here 'hate indonesia' this much before Schapelle fucking Corby came on the scene?

Actually, after my trip when I was 16, yes, I planned to not go back there if I could help it, because I found it a distasteful place to be.  Now, however, I fear going there because my life will be forfeit if I happen to unwittingly come into the posession of illicit narcotics en route.

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 10:44PM »
Relying on the media, how the hell do we know what was given/not given to the judges though? I find it hard to see how anyone can make an "informed" decision about her innocence/guilt through just seeing what the media have portrayed.

You have got to look at it through the Judge's eyes. What would the prosecution have shown him:

Corby claimed her bag, officer asks her to open it and show him whats inside, he finds 4.1kg of dope in it.

To prove her innocence you would have to go back to who packed the bag/had access to etc....in the Indonesians eyes, she just got busted big time because she claimed it was her bag and they found dope in it. Its pretty clear cut from that angle.

IMHO, this whole Corby thing is a big circus, just cause she is pretty (thats debatable) and wears low cut tops the media LOVES her, meanwhile some Australian/Vietnamese dude is left rotting in his cell while he awaits a similar trial in Vietnam.

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 10:59PM »
settle the fook down budge fudge, everyones entitled to an opinion. :P

Thats very true, but thats including me.  I won't settle down, its my opinion and the way I expressed myself in my first post is indicative of that.

So she's guilty is she?

You were right about not adding anything intelligent to the conversation ::)

Yes she was just proven guilty according to Bali's justice system (I use the term 'justice system' loosely).  You did a great job with the intelligent conversation as well mate.

They did not make all possible efforts to prove her guilty beyond reasonable doubt before sentencing her for a crime she may or may not have committed (the baggage handler stuff in Sydney, for example).

I agree, that was what I would call dodgy!  I also think Schapelle herself appears 'dodgy' as well as her family and that guy Ron Bakir.

Things like the cost to the health system, the money spent on tobacco related illness that could be spent on other health issues, the increasing incidence of asthma in society, the increased risk of heart diseases, the poorer quality of life in general... I think my point is valid.

I do think its valid, but its very easy quoting something out of some research.  You said yourself that you have never been exposed to drugs of this nature.  I have, I will even go so far as to say I have tried them.  I didn't like it one bit.  You seem to missunderstand what I was saying with regards to this, how can you truly understand the nature of a serious marijuana addiction from words?  The figures may support what you are saying, but in your case those 'figures' are the driving force behind your opinion (I make that conclusion from what you have said so far).  In my personal experience, which I belive creates a much stronger opinion you are still trivialising the seriousness of 4.1kg of marijuana by comparing it to the 'burden on the tax payer of a heavy smoker'.  Although I do somewhat belive that I am now blowing this all out of proportion.

Actually, after my trip when I was 16, yes, I planned to not go back there if I could help it, because I found it a distasteful place to be. Now, however, I fear going there because my life will be forfeit if I happen to unwittingly come into the posession of illicit narcotics en route.

If you are paranoid enough to worry about this, then the media and its associated tentacles have really got you by the throat.  How many people do you think go through the customs area in Denpassar every day?  How many are young Australians?  How many are pulled up for trying to smuggle drugs into or out of the country?  I don't really know, but I would hazard a guess that the answers are 'lots' and 'very little'.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 11:01PM by Budgie »

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 11:21PM »
'lots' and 'very little'

'everyone else' and 'Schapelle Corby'

Small odds do not make for no chance, and when the cost of 'losing' is a sizeable portion of the rest of your life, is it really worth it, just for a holiday?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 11:37PM »
Thats very true, but thats including me. I won't settle down, its my opinion and the way I expressed myself in my first post is indicative of that.

yeah fair enough matey :)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 11:56PM »
Dammit, reading over this thread...

the world sucks.

:(

It mixes me up inside, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2005, 12:49AM »
'everyone else' and 'Schapelle Corby'

Small odds do not make for no chance, and when the cost of 'losing' is a sizeable portion of the rest of your life, is it really worth it, just for a holiday?

Yes it is worth it, just for a holiday.  Especially when accommodation is free... Its warm over there for christs sake, it was a top of 14 degrees in geelong today.  Too cold for me.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2005, 12:57AM »
Well, I've got an interesting story...
A mate of a mate met Schappelle at the Big Day Out on the Coast awhile back.
Anyway, she went back with Schappelle to her unit/house and it was full of drugs.

Not sure how true it is but my mate says his mate was fairly serious about it.
Still, 20 years if she's guilty or not is a harsh penalty for drug smuggling.
IIRC they released rapists and child molesters in about 14.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 01:04AM »
, it was a top of 14 degrees in geelong today. Too cold for me.

awwww, poor lil tweety pie. :P Your going to really feel the cold when you come back from bali.

Offline SMI7HY

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2005, 01:14AM »
Relying on the media, how the hell do we know what was given/not given to the judges though? I find it hard to see how anyone can make an "informed" decision about her innocence/guilt through just seeing what the media have portrayed.

You have got to look at it through the Judge's eyes. What would the prosecution have shown him:

Corby claimed her bag, officer asks her to open it and show him whats inside, he finds 4.1kg of dope in it.

To prove her innocence you would have to go back to who packed the bag/had access to etc....in the Indonesians eyes, she just got busted big time because she claimed it was her bag and they found dope in it. Its pretty clear cut from that angle.

IMHO, this whole Corby thing is a big circus, just cause she is pretty (thats debatable) and wears low cut tops the media LOVES her, meanwhile some Australian/Vietnamese dude is left rotting in his cell while he awaits a similar trial in Vietnam.

Chad

i couldnt have said it any better

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 02:09AM »
Alright, we've all said something about the Corby issue, and I don't think we're any of us going to agree.  How about something related - imprisoning criminals?

Gaols, especially ones not in first-world countries, seem to be places that make people in them come out a worse person than when they went in.  See this link (check the 'experiences' link for people's experiences in incarceration) for more information.

Is it a good idea to lock people up?  I'm not saying there's an alternative as things are now, so don't ask that question, but do try to answer it.

Offline Sharms

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2005, 09:41AM »
I think no matter if you like Bali, hate Bali, like drugs and/or hate drug traffickers, you must surely feel sorry for her. 27 years old and now she must spend 20 years in the can.

As for her defence, apparently it was floored. If you had listend to channel 7 when they had the expert International lawyers speaking, they pointed out many variables that were not addresses. So maybe when appealing, things might go her way.

I thought it was quite strange that she wrote the letter to the prime minister for a pardon before the verdict was read, slight guilt maybe...who knows.

I hate drugs, and drug traffickers, and I can totoally understand the Indonesians wanting to protect their homeland. Sometimes I wish that hard core traffickers here in Aus could get that many years.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2005, 01:45PM »
i reckon shes guilty and i've got no sympathy for her. if the indonesian government lets her off easily then that'll only encourage other drag trafficers to target their country.

and bali is an awesome cheap holiday destination. i went their with 12 mates in january, had the time of my life. beers $1, pack of smokes (not that i smoke) $1, food/taxi's/going out/dvds/etc etc is ridiculasly cheap. you pretty much live like kings for the duration of your trip. plus lots of sun and swimming. whats wrong with that?

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2005, 01:58PM »
As people have said it is hard to make an informed decision, but she got a minimum sentence considering the possibility of life in prison or even the firing squad.  Think about it like this: if she was a fat tattooed middle aged man with a big bushey beard would people be caring at all? Realistically i think not.  In fact we probably would only have heard about it once on the news and that would be the end of it.

You have got to look at it through the Judges eyes. What would the prosecution have shown him:
Chad

i would say that Chad is exactly right.
I am a man More sinn'd against than sinning.

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2005, 02:23PM »
as far as a holiday being worth yours or that of a family members life, bullshit. i wouldn't go there knowing that if someone else tries to use my luggage to smuggle drugs, I could get the death penalty. being shot for any amount of marijuana, bullshit. yes it can fuck up some people, i've seen it. but it doesn't affect everyone the same way, i've seen that too. tobacco kills more people than grass each year, yet it's legal. as for Shappelles innocence/guilt, if your're carrying the stuff on your person, then you're guilty as, if it's in your bag & there's a good chance someone else may have placed it there, then there is doubt & dismissing all the defences witnesses is unjust.
I don't care if it's a good lookin babe or a fat ugly dude or what country you're in, justice has not been served.
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2005, 03:14PM »
im totally with budgie on this one...

and all of you that say she is innocent... is this because of the evidence or because you feel compelled to support a fellow australian? i think too many people are supporting her blindly, i even heard one aussie @ the court room that was interviewed saying ' i dont know her but she cant be guilty, shes an aussie girl and we'll support her the whole way ', ffs

if you dont like/want to goto bali thats cool, but dont hate on a place because of one stupid mole that got dicked trying to smuggle drugs, and ffs if your going to do it, at least make it a drug worth smuggling.

at the end of the day we can sit here and argue all day, but its not going to cut her free or do any favours for the club so i reckon a mod should close this topic about now :P
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2005, 03:16PM »
I don't care if it's a good lookin babe or a fat ugly dude or what country you're in, justice has not been served.

Exactly, my opinion would NOT change at all no matter what she looked like/how old she was or if it was a man.

....... had the time of my life. beers $1, pack of smokes (not that i smoke) $1, food/taxi's/going out/dvds/etc etc is ridiculasly cheap. you pretty much live like kings for the duration of your trip. plus lots of sun and swimming. whats wrong with that?

I don't think anyones said there's anything wrong with having fun/getting stuff cheap. 

Bali is just not the sort of place I would choose to go on a holiday, and that was my opinion before I'd ever heard of Schapelle Corby.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2005, 05:52PM »
at the end of the day we can sit here and argue all day, but its not going to cut her free or do any favours for the club so i reckon a mod should close this topic about now :P

I think its still a good solid discussion, as usual these good opinionated topics are started by narxysus.

Offline r31vhead

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2005, 09:19PM »
Yes she was just proven guilty according to Bali's justice system (I use the term 'justice system' loosely).  You did a great job with the intelligent conversation as well mate.

I didn't ask if the the Bali justice system found her guilty or not. It's pretty clear in your first post that either

- You think she's guilty; or
   - You don't care if she's guilty, all that matters is the message it sends to drug traffickers

If you think she's guilty, what are you basing it on? You're so quick to accuse others of being victims of the media, and yet what's your basis for guilt?

If you don't actually care, then I think that's even worse. How can you say that an innocent person's life is worth a message to drug traffickers?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:07PM by r31vhead »
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2005, 10:22PM »
Perhaps this discussion would benefit from looking at the ramifications of each decision depending on whether she's innocent or guilty.

That is to say, is it worth sending a message to drug traffickers by forefeiting an innocent person's life?

Alternatively, what does Indonesia's offensive on drugs stand to lose from letting a drug runner go?

One really needs to way up these two.  I think it depends on how much value you place on an individual's life, but also on the lives of individuals touched by drugs.

Personally, I can't stand when the innocent are silenced or unheard.  (I feel bad when my dogs don't get fed when they're supposed to, because they have no way of telling anyone they're hungry - they suffer in silence.)  I believe, at the end of the day, drug users have choice, and can choose whether or not to screw up their future with drugs; someone accused of a crime they didn't commit has not got that choice - they must rely on the mercy of their judges.

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2005, 10:30PM »
^ you two are saying shes innocent... what is your basis for this arguement? her statement and tears on camera?

there is ample evidence suggesting that she is guilty, the bag of dope found in her bodyboard bag, etc etc etc

can there be a reasonable explination? and 'somebody asked me to hold it ' is not acceptable, if thats a legimately what happened then she deserves the sentence for being so damn stupid.
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2005, 10:39PM »
Please, nowhere have I stated that I think she is innocent.

My issue, (and though Chad raises a valid point about the media), is that it would appear the judges totally dismissed the evidence from that criminal who overhead a conversation, and the whole sydney airport issue: these, it would seem, are important points in proving she is innocent, and (from what I know) the judges failed to take them into serious accout.

Also, have you seen all the problems the defense found with the Indonesian airport and such?  Things like no fingerprints being taken off the bag, no security camera evidence, stuff like that.  (I think a list is on that site I posted earlier).  The prosecution's case is not as watertight as it seems, if you aim to assume innocence before guilt.

Think about it like this: if she was a fat tattooed middle aged man with a big bushey beard would people be caring at all? Realistically i think not.  In fact we probably would only have heard about it once on the news and that would be the end of it.

I think you need to consider the variables here: if the fat man got just as much media attention as the attractive hairdresser, I think people would be caring just as much.  It doesn't matter what the person looks like, if the media forces it into the public eye, it will get the peoples voice.  It is not Schapelle's fault that society today prefers to focus on the attractive people; that's just how it is.  If that's not how it was, people would be just as compassionate to anyone, because everyone would get equal media attention.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 10:54PM by Narxysus »

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2005, 02:23AM »
There is absolutely NO point at all in arguing on the internet, especially a car site, about whether she is guilty or innocent.

This is not directed at anyone in particular. 

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2005, 01:22PM »
There is absolutely NO point at all in arguing on the internet, especially a car site, about whether she is guilty or innocent.

This is not directed at anyone in particular. 

This may be true Tas, but I find it quite rewarding in these debates when I hear other people's point of view on the matter.  I think that if you expose yourself to all the opinions (and justifications to those opinions) that you can, it makes one better able to understand others, but also better able to predict and make allowances for others, and it makes future interactions with people easier for this reason.  This is why I start these topics - it's not the topic that is really the focus, but more, peoples opinions on it, and why they have those opinions.  I particularly like to find out what kind of logic and logical thought patterns people use to reach their conclusions.

To be honest, when I started this thread, I actually thought pretty much everyone would agree with me!  I had no 'reason' (for lack of a better word) to think that anyone would be in disagreement, especially not to the extent that Budgie was.  Now, clearly, I am a wiser person for knowing I was wrong!

Edit: btw, grats on reaching 3000 posts!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2005, 01:24PM by Narxysus »

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2005, 02:39PM »
Fair enough, but the only information that any of us have to base our arguements on is from the media and we don't know how far they are twisting the truth or if they are keeping crucial evidence from us.

Edit: btw, grats on reaching 3000 posts!

Are you calling me a wh()re ? :P

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2005, 03:38PM »
Fair enough, but the only information that any of us have to base our arguements on is from the media and we don't know how far they are twisting the truth or if they are keeping crucial evidence from us.

Nonetheless, how we each reach our conclusions from the same evidence (being that which the media has supplied us) is still illuminating and valuable.

Are you calling me a wh()re ? :P

I wasn't, but if that's how you want to interpret it, so much the better!  ;D :D

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2005, 06:32PM »
ok ive been debating whether or not to post in here but fuck it..nothing like a good heated discussion

first and formost, tell me a country where u ALWAYS find justice........u cant, not here, indo, america anywhere
its a fact people get reamed in the arse from time to time
nissman, ur nieve to think that anyone would get justice in such a corrupt justice system...yes its wrong, but thats how it is and always will be
in chappele's case, i think she is guilty, but i dont think she should be punished to such an extent
i think she was meant to transport from bris to sydney and some1 fucked up on the sydney end....wat makes me more sus is that she was a seasoned bali traveller, and u know dam right to put locks on your bags, its common knoledge
irrelivent of wether or not she is guilty/innocent, she was caught in a counry with strong drug laws, and she has been punished accordingly. yes drugs are everywhere in every country, bali is no exception, the poverty in countrys such as indo etc is the reason why there are so much drugs.. its goes down to the whole "is it right to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?"

the point im trying to make is that some people here and around australia are boycotting bali, and trying to stop people from travveling there. and i am absolutely disgusted at those people. why punish the citizens of a country for there governments fuck ups. u dont understand that 99% of the balianese citizens have absoluelty NO power to change/influence anything. its the 1% with moneyt that do. if u think that boycotting bali is 'just' then u obviosly have fuckall concept of the word and i suggest u rethink a little

if u dont like bali because u think its dangerous/dirty etc, fine dont go there. ive actually been there and i can assure u ill be goin back in my lifetime because i enjoyed it emmensly.ithink its a fantastic holiday destination provided u use COMMON SENSE. this incodent could have been avoided with $10 worth of padlocks. enjoy your hols there budge, ull have a great time i can assure u
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2005, 06:57PM »
ohh i forgot to mention the possible consequences for this stupid boycott. bali is a country that relies on tourism, without it it stops. people starve, bussiness colapse, people resort to lower acts...ie drugs. people think they have been done wrong by aussies and therfore join terrorist groups etc. yes corby may have been treated unfair....just let it be and thank god its not u or your family/friend. the amount of people that travel there and the amount that get done for drugs are very few.
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2005, 07:53PM »
me nieve? NO, i just remarked on the point that ALL the defences witnesses were dismissed, even though many arrests have been made at airports in Australia since Schappelle was arrested. WE don't really know whether she's innocent or not but by Indonesion law she was guilty because the drugs were in her bag, yet there is the 'possibility' that some else put them there, would they now be looking at this possibility? i think not. so some drug smuggler MAY be sitting back laughing his head off.
i'm not into the boycot either, i would never have gone to any place in Indonesia for a holliday at any time.

speeking of nieve, did you know that the Australian government considers Indonesia to be our biggest military threat.

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2005, 07:56PM »
i didnt think ud be part of the boycott dude :P
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2005, 08:07PM »
It's a trust thing for me. I was at school (long time ago) when the Indonesian military invaded Timor & murdered 3 Aussie media men & killed civilians.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2005, 08:42PM »
I honestly don't know whether she's innocent or guilty - maybe she is, maybe she isn't, maybe there could've been much more evidence to swing either way if the Balinese people who worked at the airport didn't act like a bunch of mindless gorillas. How backward! LOOK A BAG OF MARAJUANA LETS PUT OUR HANDS ALL OVER IT!
And what of security cameras?? That's assuming there was any.

I don't think she would have been convicted here in Australia on the evidence (or lack thereof), but drugs are a problem over in Bali, many people have met the same fate as Schappelle Corby and they weren't broadcast for months and months over Australian TV networks were they? Whether she's innocent or not, frankly I'm sick of hearing about it. If she's guilty, she got what she deserved - she was stupid enough to take the risk and obviously knew what she was getting into. If not, that's terrible and the Balinese legal system is monumentally flawed, but what can we really do? Hope it goes better for her in the appeal?

If she's innocent, I hope that gets proven. If not, she got what she deserved. But will we ever really know?
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2005, 09:35PM »
But will we ever really know?

Possibly not, but if the legal system were more just, we could at least know beyond reasonable doubt.  That's the real issue with most people who protest all this.

I'm 'boycotting' Bali not as a punishment to them, nor even as a protest, but more because their legal system has shown that it will not protect my rights should I find myself victim to it, and that's not something I want to risk.  (Plus, like I said, I find it an icky place to be.)  I will admit, however, that it is not an ideal solution.

Oh, by the way: "naive", not "nieve".

Offline r31vhead

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2005, 09:58PM »
^ you two are saying shes innocent... what is your basis for this arguement? her statement and tears on camera?

there is ample evidence suggesting that she is guilty, the bag of dope found in her bodyboard bag, etc etc etc

can there be a reasonable explination? and 'somebody asked me to hold it ' is not acceptable, if thats a legimately what happened then she deserves the sentence for being so damn stupid.

Please, nowhere have I stated that I think she is innocent.

Neither did I. And I agree with what you and what most of the people on this thread have said. If she is in fact guilty, she deserves the sentence that has been handed down to her. I also agree with your comment about blindly following the Australian media's view on things.

But, I don't agree with comments like:

To me, that was at best an insensitive comment, and at worst, utterly stupid and baseless. (Budgie, I'm still waiting for your reply, btw  :P)

I don't think that the evidence found in the bodyboard, constitutes "reasonable proof" (not even with the testimonials of the customs officers saying she admitted to it), but this is the view that Bali's justice system has taken, and, as different as it is from my view, it is their country and it has to be accepted. Bali's justice system has a long way to go, but to strike it down now by intervening in the case would be crippling for them.

This exact incident is why I won't be going to Bali. Not because I'm exacting any revenge of any kind, but because to me it's clear I would face a very real risk of being convicted for something I didn't do. To those who still choose to go, good for you, I hope nothing unfortunate happens to you.

Michael
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2005, 10:20PM »
dont pick up spelling mistakes to be a smart arse. it s childish.  and u seem to have some itelligent comments, dont stuff it up with bs like that.

if you break the law, u loose your rights as a person. a travel boycott for any reason still has the same outcomes/consequences

Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2005, 10:55PM »
dont pick up spelling mistakes to be a smart arse.
(What I originally had here was perhaps not conducive to this discussion, so I've removed it, but it would be nice, and make your posts a lot easier to read, if you tried to spell a little better.)

Mattius, I figured 'naive' was a word people would not actually know how to spell, whereas I didn't point out any other errors that people made because they just didn't spellcheck.  I picked that one up to help people, not to be childish.  Don't assume the worst in people from the outset.

if you break the law, u loose your rights as a person
Exactly, you do.  But the problem with this statement is that you are doing this

Quote from: Narxysus
assume the worst in people from the outset
and assuming that someone charged with a crime is guilty of that crime.  But what if they are innocent?  They have not broken the law, ergo, they have not lost their rights as a person.

What then?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 12:25AM by Narxysus »

Offline SMI7HY

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2005, 12:04AM »

hehe "judges disregard any involvement"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2005, 12:45PM »
If you think she's guilty, what are you basing it on? You're so quick to accuse others of being victims of the media, and yet what's your basis for guilt?

If you don't actually care, then I think that's even worse. How can you say that an innocent person's life is worth a message to drug traffickers?

I don't know what to think regarding her guilt, I really don't.  Its just the overwhelming sense of 'i'm sick of hearing about this shit' that makes me angry and also appears lke I don't care at all.  I realise that.

If people like nissman, narxysus and tas will never go to Bali or other parts of indonesia, maybe people carrying 10kgs of cocaine will also think twice about heading there after this HUGE fiasco.  Seriously, there has to be some sort of up-side to all of this.

We can only hope that this case has kept someone somewhere... off drugs.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2005, 05:44PM »
If people like nissman, narxysus and tas will never go to Bali or other parts of indonesia,........

I wouldn't have gone there, even before all of this, it has nothing to do with 5(HAPP3113 (0R8Y, I think Nissman is the same. 

ohh i forgot to mention the possible consequences for this stupid boycott. bali is a country that relies on tourism, without it it stops. people starve, bussiness colapse, people resort to lower acts...ie drugs. people think they have been done wrong by aussies and therfore join terrorist groups etc. yes corby may have been treated unfair....just let it be and thank god its not u or your family/friend. the amount of people that travel there and the amount that get done for drugs are very few.

So we should all start travelling to every other 3 world/ poverty stricken country because we feel sorry for them???,( some of which have never had a chance to even start up a tourism industry.)

Have you donated to world vision today?

*this post may or may not contain sarcasm*

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2005, 06:03PM »
I dunno how much of a military threat they are anymore Neal!! I reckon each one of us could take 5 Indo's, and that would nearly even out the score!! Oh and btw-a useless fact, their new Sukhoi fighters have been un-armed for 12 months, they are only now starting to arm them with missiles and such.

Chad

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2005, 07:40PM »
news flash...
Victa has just released a new Model mower. The Shapelle it will hold 4 kgs of Grass and comes with a 20 Year Guarantee...

Just went past Shapelle's Beauty Salon sign on the door says back in 20..

Offline Cle

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • Pinny Panthers
« Reply #51 on: Jun 1, 2005, 01:09AM »
Guilty as hell. An Interview long ago proved it. I felt sorry till i got to see that one & then what did i see but this condescending little bitch who looked like she'd just pulled the biggest job under every ones noses and escaped Scott free. Now look at her, "Sob Sob Sob" save me im innocent.  Sorry but i wouldn't have given a dam if they shot her.... hell it might have even been the better way to go when you consider how crappy there jails are.

As far as justice goes then no it's not fair but then what's fair ? I sure as hell don't have to look overseas to find injustice, there's quite enough hear now thank you very much. Id rather see effort to make OUR system better then constant bitching about another countrys corrupt system when not a bloody thing will come of it.

Im just glad it's all over.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #52 on: Jun 1, 2005, 07:15AM »

The sad thing is, its only just begining.

Offline r31vhead

« Reply #53 on: Jun 1, 2005, 10:30PM »
Guilty as hell. An Interview long ago proved it. I felt sorry till i got to see that one & then what did i see but this condescending little bitch who looked like she'd just pulled the biggest job under every ones noses and escaped Scott free. Now look at her, "Sob Sob Sob" save me im innocent.  Sorry but i wouldn't have given a dam if they shot her.... hell it might have even been the better way to go when you consider how crappy there jails are.

As far as justice goes then no it's not fair but then what's fair ? I sure as hell don't have to look overseas to find injustice, there's quite enough hear now thank you very much. Id rather see effort to make OUR system better then constant bitching about another countrys corrupt system when not a bloody thing will come of it.

Fair enough. Do you have a link to that interview?
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

Offline DaveTRX

• All Polar Bears are left handed!!
« Reply #54 on: Jun 2, 2005, 01:28AM »
Not sure what i believe still cos she was calm when convicted as though expecting it, but with the corrupt system there, i wouldnt be supprised if she was innocent. They apparently didnt even check the drugs for prints. ::)

If she is guilty, her own fault, but 20 years is frustrating. >:(

She should of killed someone instead, she would only get 2 years. ??? ::)

I will never go there or be in support of that country because of that government and their STUPID justice system. >:(

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #55 on: Jun 3, 2005, 03:47PM »
forwarded to me by my girlfriend...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline r31vhead

« Reply #56 on: Jun 3, 2005, 05:12PM »
rofl
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

Offline rollaboy

• antrx.com junkie
  • i love 4 play (get it, cause i have a 4wd!) hahaha
« Reply #57 on: Jun 16, 2005, 12:36AM »
yeah thats a good one that.

u gota respect teh laws of other countires. how would australia feel if we had the indonesians telling us how to prosicute one of there citizens? we would tell them to go screw themselves.

what i dont agree with is the 'fair trile' shes got. its so rigged, she never had a chance in hell. she should have been free becuase they cant prove it beyond a resonable doubt.

and as for herlawyers, have u seen who represents her!!! its like looking at an asian james brown or some shit! he pays more attention to his clothes then the corby case!!!

i mean christ!!! his newest decsion is to pay an indonesian soap start to say corby is innocent, and now she is part of ther defence team!!! WHAT THE HELL IS A SOAP STAR GONA DO FOR YOUR CASE U FUKING MORON!!!!

i feel bad she hasnt had decent representation.

milk and juice may come in 2 litres, but they dont have turbochargers bolted to the side of em

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #58 on: Jun 16, 2005, 09:12AM »
actually over there, soap stars play a massive role, the more pressure the gov gets from INDO's the more likly she will get off
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #59 on: Jun 16, 2005, 09:44PM »
u gota respect teh laws of other countires.

I don't much like this theory, personally.

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #60 on: Jun 16, 2005, 09:50PM »
he says u gota, you've got to.. and well, you do. if you'e going into another country u should find out what their laws/customs/culture are.. even though this situation is quite.. extreme..

Offline r31vhead

« Reply #61 on: Jun 17, 2005, 03:06AM »
I don't much like this theory, personally.

Why not? Who are we to decide who has better laws?

Cle, if you read this, do you have that link for the interview? I did a search on google, and found references to it, but couldn't find the interview itself.
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #62 on: Jun 17, 2005, 03:22AM »
Why not? Who are we to decide who has better laws?

As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in.  They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing.  Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

Just because it's their way of doing it doesn't mean it's the best way, or the fairest way: why should others respect it if it negatively influences them?

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #63 on: Jun 17, 2005, 12:30PM »
Because we don't have much of a choice. If we do step in, we compromise to some extent our relationship with Indonesia (which was already damaged by those fools that sent sh!t to the Indo embassy). It's not worth taking it to that extent when there's so much doubt, even among Australians, that she is innocent.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline DaveTRX

« Reply #64 on: Jun 17, 2005, 01:27PM »
I bet it already has ruined the relationship! ::)

Watch the tourism in Bali go down now!

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #65 on: Jun 18, 2005, 12:37AM »
As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in. They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing. Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

That totally depends on how much flanalette and tatoos the father has.

Offline DaveTRX

« Reply #66 on: Jun 18, 2005, 07:09PM »
Yeah....... guess we didnt consider that variable :D

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #67 on: Jun 19, 2005, 03:35PM »
Here's a link related to my point of view on the subject:

Prisons badly run, prisoners 'losers'

This article echoes a number of my sentiments toward crime and punishment.

Offline r31vhead

« Reply #68 on: Jun 20, 2005, 04:35AM »
As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in.  They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing.  Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

Your scenario takes place in a public area. I would certainly not be lecturing the parents on how to raise their child if I were a visitor in their home.

Just because it's their way of doing it doesn't mean it's the best way, or the fairest way: why should others respect it if it negatively influences them?

One problem with that is everyone thinks their way is the best. That's why I think the line should be drawn at "their land, their law", because at least we can define THAT boundary clearly.
R31 Skyline
RB20DET GX Manual

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #69 on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:52AM »
I should not visit news sites.

Aussie youth shares cell with 27

Unfortunate, and ... pointless?

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #70 on: Jun 22, 2005, 04:56AM »
dont got time to read everyones posts but im gonna say this, anyone who thinks that potheads and stoners are lazy bums and cant do a damn thing for themselves is wrong.  im 17 years old, i smoke, i also work 35 hours a week and i show up everyday and do my work.  If people want to judge me because instead of damaging my liver to kick back, i like to damage my lungs, i say fuck you.  4 kilos of pot is alot of moneys worth, here in america you could get the same punishment.  you know what i have to say about all this, worst case scenario a pothead that gets really high becomes lazy and loses his job, alright worst case scenario you drink 40 shots of alcohol and die, ok you drink 10 shots of alcohol and you get drunk and beat your wife.  i dont see how pot is any different than smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.  the only thing thats different is you actually get high and nothing bad happens.  living in southern california i cant tell you how many really smart people from universities smoke pot.  im sure theres plenty of lazy potheads who screw up their lives, but if it wasn't for pot they'd probablly screw up their lives regardless.

the point of all this babble is to get to down to the fact that pot is relatively harmless and making it illiegal is what is creating the danger.  If pot was legal it wouldn't be worth anything because you could grow it anywhere its a WEED.  because the pot is illiegal it has to be grown in secret smuggled and then the economy is ruined because the money is going under the table for the pot.  Would you need to guard your stash with an Ak-47 if your stash was growing in the backyards and empty lots of almost any place?  i dont think so. 
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2005, 05:44AM by DeathPlaza »
I have a sunroof!

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #71 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:13AM »
dont got time to read everyones posts but im gonna say this, anyone who thinks that potheads and stoners are lazy bums and cant do a damn thing for themselves is wrong.  im 17 years old, i smoke, i also work 35 hours a week and i show up everyday and do my work.  If people want to judge me because instead of damaging my liver to kick back, i like to damage my lungs, i say fuck you.  4 kilos of pot is alot of moneys worth, here in america you could get the same punishment.  you know what i have to say about all this, worst case scenario a pothead that gets really high becomes lazy and loses his job, alright worst case scenario you drink 40 shots of alcohol and die, ok you drink 10 shots of alcohol and you get drunk and beat your wife.  i dont see how pot is any different than smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol.  the only thing thats different is you actually get high and nothing bad happens.  living in southern california i cant tell you how many really smart people from universities smoke pot.  im sure theres plenty of lazy potheads who screw up their lives, but if it wasn't for pot they'd probablly screw up their lives regardless.

the point of all this babble is to get to down to the fact that pot is relatively harmless and making it illiegal is what is creating the danger. If pot was legal it wouldn't be worth anything because you could grow it anywhere its a WEED. because the pot is illiegal it has to be grown in secret smuggled and then the economy is ruined because the money is going under the table for the pot. Would you need to guard your stash with an Ak-47 if your stash was growing in the backyards and empty lots of almost any place? i dont think so.

that has absolutely no point to this conversation.

as guests to other countries, it is OUR responsibility to learn about the laws etc, and we must respect there laws, EVEN IF we dont see them as just.
As a parallel: you see a mother and father who have their children in the shop that you're working in. They're letting their kids run amok in the shop, causing troubles for other patrons and damaging displays, but the parents do nothing. Do you respect their method of parenting, or do you step in and tell the kids to stop what they're doing, and go and have a word to the parents?

thats right, its not right for u to step in, so wat gives u the right to step in on another countries laws? the point is this, if u dont like indo laws, THEN DONT FUCKIN GO THERE, but wat gives u the fuckin right to boycot a country because of their laws and try and sway people into following your way of thinking. people who are older than todlers can wipe there own arse after they take a shit, they can also make up their own mind about their travel destinations, putting 'boycott bali' signs down the highway is childish, and fuckin piss weak.
 Nrxysus, ill giv u an example. its a bit extreme but fuck it,(not hanging shit on ya either bud).  u had a party one year, and one or 2 people rekon it sucked arse, but heaps of other had a good night. the next year when u throw a shindig, noone rocks up because those one or 2 people told everyone not to go cuz your last one (they thought) was shithouse. wat right has those one or 2 people got to tell ya mates not to go? (btw this was prob not the best example, but its 8 in the morning and edgy cuz i havnt seen my girl in a week. lol)
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #72 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:16AM »
btw on the 'prisnors loose' article, i didnt read the article out of lazyness, but im guessing it has to do with poor living arringement for prisnors.....if so, SO THEY FUCKIN SHOULD. they arnt there for a fuckin holiday at the taxpayers expense
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Sharms

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #73 on: Jun 22, 2005, 09:30AM »
im 17 years old, i smoke, i also work 35 hours a week. 

Continue smoking, and then when your 30 tell me you are still able to work 35 hours......I dont think so.

Anyways, back on topic, hows good Ol' Ron Bakir wanting 500k from Schapelle huh?  Black Knight alright. I think he was hoping for a non-guilty verdict and to cash in on her story etc. He is a Bankcrupt dont forget, well soon to be.

Offline DeathPlaza

• Stupid American
    • Ralphsquad
« Reply #74 on: Jun 22, 2005, 11:54AM »
alright, my friends mom has been smoking since the 70s and she works full time earning over 50k a year so i dont think you really have any first hand experience with the long term effects of smoking pot. sure she coughs alot but shes still sharp, nice, and productive.

but your right, that didn't really have much to do with this particular situation.  To tell you the truth she prolly did try to smuggle all that pot in.  my cousin got caught smuggling 5 lbs of pot over the mexican border and he is effectively getting a slap on the wrist, it was pretty much the same situation, he says someone put the weed in his car to trick him into getting it over, whether he actually did it or not?  I dont know, obviously the judge didn't know so thats why hes getting on probation.  In another country they can do whatever the hell they want, but 20 years imprisonment?!  this chick sounds pretty guilty, i can see where the judges would make their decision from it certainly appears that she is guilty. 
« Last Edit: Jun 22, 2005, 12:07PM by DeathPlaza »
I have a sunroof!

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #75 on: Jun 22, 2005, 12:00PM »
Unfortunate, and ... pointless?

A good way to describe this thread!

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #76 on: Jun 22, 2005, 02:31PM »
so ignore it
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #77 on: Jun 22, 2005, 04:53PM »
so wat gives u the right to step in on another countries laws?

Perhaps, what I am trying to convey in my prior posts is do we need a 'right', as such, to step in?

the point is this, if u dont like indo laws, THEN DONT FUCKIN GO THERE, but wat gives u the fuckin right to boycot a country because of their laws and try and sway people into following your way of thinking.

Boycotting a destination is "not fucking going there".  Additionally, I am not so far on this side of the debate as to consider myself part of the group of people trying to convince others not to go.  I have merely chosen not to myself.

u had a party one year, and one or 2 people rekon it sucked arse, but heaps of other had a good night. the next year when u throw a shindig, noone rocks up because those one or 2 people told everyone not to go cuz your last one (they thought) was shithouse. wat right has those one or 2 people got to tell ya mates not to go?

The point is, those two friends can tell your other mates not to go.  They have the capacity to.  Do they need the right to?  Your other mates have the choice as to whether to go or not, regardless of what these two tell them.

btw on the 'prisnors loose' article, i didnt read the article out of lazyness, but im guessing it has to do with poor living arringement for prisnors.....if so, SO THEY FUCKIN SHOULD.

You have not read the article.  Basically, the points in it outline how people going into the gaols come out worse than when they went in.  As with that other article I posted.  From the last article I posted:

Quote from: Aussie youth shares cell with 27
THERE are 27 others in my cell. I am number 28. Rapists, murderers - mainly robbers."
These are the words 16-year-old Gordon Vuong, of New South Wales, uses to describe his new life in the squalid Cambodian prison where he will spend the next 13 years.

Vuong was arrested with 2.1 kilograms of heroin taped to his chest at Phnom Penh airport on January 22 and was sentenced last month.

What does it achieve, sending a 16 year old child to a gaol where he will have his humanity crushed for 13 years, only to emerge when he is 29, and be totally incapable of functioning normally in society by that time?  Nothing is gained - he's not a hardened criminal now, and I'd wager society is not a better, safer place for having him locked up.  But when he comes out, he's going to be extremely jaded with society, and may well choose to take out his anger on that society.

Quote from: Prisons badly run, prisoners 'losers'
"And I am not a great believer in the rehabilitative role of prisons – in fact I think they add to (re-offending).

"People are prisoners, generally speaking, because they are losers, in the popular sense, and they are not capable of working in a society as many other people are."

I mean, seriously, why is society better off for detaining Schapelle for 20 years?  She still has value to add to the community and society, economically and spiritually speaking.

they arnt there for a fuckin holiday at the taxpayers expense

Should they be there at the taxpayer's expense at all?  Would it not be better to have them being taxpayers?

Offline DaveTRX

« Reply #78 on: Jun 22, 2005, 08:34PM »
Whoa... that was long!

But it doesnt feel right when we cant play part to make things right for one of our own in their corrupt justice! >:(

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #79 on: Jun 24, 2005, 12:17AM »
But it doesnt feel right when we cant play part to make things right for one of our own in their corrupt justice! >:(

I don't think corrupt is quite the right word.  It's more that justice has not actually been done properly.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
Re: Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World
« Reply #80 on: Aug 23, 2005, 11:05PM »
Rather than create a new thread, I'll rename and resurrect another.

I just now read that that model from Oz has been found to have ecstasy in her bag (they tested the pills).  Then there's that other fellow who had over 2000 pills, and so on.  Is it just me, or are there a lot more of these types of arrests nowadays?  Or do you think it's the media bringing it to our attention more, since the whole Corby incident?

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
Re: Australians, Drugs, and the Rest Of The World
« Reply #81 on: Aug 23, 2005, 11:18PM »
Just to add to the Corby thing, most of my drug friends no or no of her family. They apparently altho i have got this from atleast 3 different people,are complete and utter drugo's. so that cant help her.

On the weed thing, there is nothing wrong with weed, and no im not a stoner, i have never BOUGHT weed put it that way. but drugs are a part of life. Making them illegal doesnt get rid of them it just amps up the price and lengths that people will go to to get them around the country which is what happend to corby in my opinion.

As to the shit about drugs, there are 4 things that are on the news and gov commersals that piss me off which go in this order:

1. Stuff about hooning.
2. Stupid speeding adds which are 100% false (me thinks of the dad and kid in the holden which hit the mum and the baby, i laugh at that add)
3. Kids and the internet. Lets scare idiot parents by saying that there are pedos on the other side of our kids convo's that can get naked pictures and make em fall in love with them just by them chatting on chat sites.
4. Drug media and commersials. If u want us to stop taking drugs then tell us the truth, not some stupid scare tactics to make us stop taking shit!

the GOV will neva get it right.