Author Topic: Looks like Australia is going down the sh*tter  (Read 21009 times)

Offline cruizer

• post whore
Looks like Australia is going down the sh*tter
« on: Nov 24, 2007, 08:20PM »
Well it looks like Rudd has won....say hello to a economically conservative Australia everyone...

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
Re: Looks like Australia is going down the sh*tter
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2007, 08:56PM »
oh well, looks like johnny buttscab has been finally ousted , good ridance to short bushy-eyebrowed Prime Minister's I say.

I think after 11 yrs or so Johnny has had chance after chance to improve Australia, he brought in GST when he said he wouldn't, he brought in those stupid IR laws which Rudd will abolish and he sent our troops to that stupid war on Terror that we don't belong in because G W Bush said to go, not that I don't think our troops are doing a good job, I just don't think they belong there, and Rudd will bring them home to their families.

Rudd might be good for Australia, how will we know until he gets a fair crack at the leadership, the problem is people want howard out but then vote for him and whinge about the stupid unreasonable crap that he is doing.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2007, 09:08PM »
I think Howard has been just fine.

Rudd's party is dominated by the unions and they will play him.
Things we now have to look forward to are...
- Higher intrest rates, hence first home out of question, but rent will go up also.
- nasty inflation, so our dollar will be worth less
- industry strikes, due to unions
- Selling off australian public investments to private companies.

Lets see what he's got to actually offer this country.  They may suprise, but I doubt it.

Offline phantom

• antrx.com senior member
  • The Fighting Ninth
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2007, 09:15PM »
i rather dislike both of them...oh well too late now...

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2007, 09:18PM »
I think Howard has been just fine.

Rudd's party is dominated by the unions and they will play him.
Things we now have to look forward to are...
- Higher intrest rates, hence first home out of question, but rent will go up also.
- industry strikes, due to unions
- Selling off australian public investments to private companies.

Lets see what he's got to actually offer this country.  They may suprise, but I doubt it.

I don't think it matter's who the PM is, interst rates will still go up, we just had one under Howard, in december there will be another one but under Rudd, if Howard was still PM do you really think he could stop the rate rise right on top of Christmas. You will still be able to buy MOST of a first home, I wil be buying my first property within the next 18 months, you just have to have the right advice and be sensible with your purchase. 

Offline LC_TRX

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2007, 09:31PM »
in terms of Australia as a country, i think Howard has don a good job. i get the feeling that Rudd will dissapoint some people with his conservative views and therefore the economy will suffer. there will never be a single PM who keeps the entire Australian population happy. he made some decisions which didnt go down well with the majority of the population but like i said, you cant keep everyone happy.

im not very political and this is the first year that i have had to vote so i dont have a strong passion for politics.
anyway, just my 2 cents

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2007, 10:48PM »
You know where the door is cruizer... :P

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2007, 10:54PM »
You know where the door is cruizer... :P
x2. asshat  :P
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:42AM »

You realise that we actually have a lot of industries that benefit from a low exchange rate, yes?

Honestly, do you people really think that starting next week, the country will begin some downward rollercoaster of decline?  I think claims either way are absurdly overblown.  Look at workchoices.  It's been what, two years?  And they're still trying to determine the effects, good or bad.  GST? 7 years, and what sort of impact on your life, or even broadly, can you identify?

It would be a long time before anything Labor did impacted seriously, and by then the power of democracy lets us change if we so wish.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:52AM »
  And they're still trying to determine the effects, good or bad.  GST? 7 years, and what sort of impact on your life, or even broadly, can you identify?

well paying stamp duty + GST is ridiculous.
wasn't the GST was suppose to remove stamp duty and other taxes ??
SO fuel, insurance, mortgages were to be drop!!
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2007, 01:17AM »
hws the better choice? peter costello or kevin rudd?

i know who ive chosen

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline greenbird

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:26AM »
Strong economy has its down sides.
It meens the rich get richer and the poor and middle class get left behind.
Then throw in little Johnny's workchoices, which removes a lot or rights from the workers and gives the employer the upper hand. Buisness owners a laughing all the way to the banks, but the working class are all left suffering.

And what has everyone got against the unions anyway? Remember, unions exist to help protect working class people (the majority of people in this country) from getting a raw deal. Of course the Liberals wanted to abolish the unions. Unions fighting for the rights of workers goes completely against their workchoices policy.

And GST, what a joke. I originally thought that when the GST came in, income tax would be abolished and you would pay your taxes as you spent your money. WRONG!!!! I saw a tiny drop in tax on my pay slip when it came in and then have been taxed to buggery ever since.
Take petrol for example. You pay an excise tax on every litre of fuel you buy, then GST is slapped on top. So you are getting taxed on the tax you are paying. Double dipping bastards!

There's a reason Australia has a strong economy now and I believe that it is simply because we have been taxed to buggery. The government is sitting on a whopping tax surplus and I can't see any of it coming back my way.

I think it is great that Rudd has now been given the chance to show us what he's got. And some 'younger blood' running the country hopefully will be a good thing.
I completely agree with Narxysus in that things aren't just going to change overnight. And as he has said, the people of Australia will get to decide whether the Labor party has done a good job at the next election.

Rant over!
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2007, 09:31AM »
All i can say is, if it turns to shit i'm going to canada  :P  dont even have to vote there.

But of course this is all long run speculation.  With all the things Howard government brought in, it was spread over 10 years so wasnt as noticable, similarly i'm sure the things the new government bring in will be over at least the 4 years if they happen at all.

My scepticism is mainly from the history of every previous Labour government since the 60's, I'm interested to see what Rudd and team can do, but have doubts that his term will generally be diferent from any other Labour government.

At least Chasers get to sleep in every morning... I dont think rudd goes for morning walks.

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2007, 10:03AM »
at least now we wont hear labor die hards complaining about rising interest rates

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2007, 11:28AM »
dont blame me, i voted for the fishing and lifestyle party  ::)
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:40PM »
Looks like Johnnys propaganda worked on some people. So much for being the smart country. Some people cant even think for themselves.

So long Johnny, so long Costello.

Wonder when those big bad union bosses are going to come around to your hour house and blow and blow and blow your house down.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007, 03:54PM »
And what has everyone got against the unions anyway?

And GST, what a joke. I originally thought that when the GST came in, income tax would be abolished and you would pay your taxes as you spent your money. WRONG!!!! I saw a tiny drop in tax on my pay slip when it came in and then have been taxed to buggery ever since.
Take petrol for example. You pay an excise tax on every litre of fuel you buy, then GST is slapped on top. So you are getting taxed on the tax you are paying. Double dipping bastards!

There's a reason Australia has a strong economy now and I believe that it is simply because we have been taxed to buggery. The government is sitting on a whopping tax surplus and I can't see any of it coming back my way.

I don't really understand why people complain about tax so much.  It pays for the society we have.  It may not come back to you directly, but it does indirectly, and it goes to other people as well.

I think it would be nice if we all earned, and were taxed, the same amount.  Humans are all equal (except for people with special needs, i.e. disabled), so why should anyone need more money than anyone else?

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2007, 04:03PM »
But is some of our tax not going to other state's like QLD, one year QLD got something like eight million dollars from NSW taxes, all so they can have cheaper fuel. I don't see how this is coming back to me indirectly or indirectly for that matter

I do agree with you though narx, we are all human, why are we not taxed equally, the rich get hardly any tax and the low income workers are getting taxed to buggery.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2007, 04:27PM by Langers_87 »

Offline greenbird

« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2007, 04:10PM »
I don't really understand why people complain about tax so much.  It pays for the society we have.  It may not come back to you directly, but it does indirectly, and it goes to other people as well.

Yep, i love it when my tax money funds some low life centre-link bum's meth habit.......
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2007, 04:21PM »
I think it would be nice if we all earned, and were taxed, the same amount.  Humans are all equal (except for people with special needs, i.e. disabled), so why should anyone need more money than anyone else?

that's rather marxist

nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2007, 05:20PM »

I find that funny. I think some people complain about tax because nearly half of there money gets taken away and palmed off to some dole bludger in many cases.

The rich get richer and poor get poorer? Its because the poor sit around on there asses and complain how poor and hard done they are and put there hand out to the govt. while the 'rich' work hard and then get half their money taen to provide for the poor.

Looks like Johnnys propaganda worked on some people. So much for being the smart country. Some people cant even think for themselves.
The way I see it is Australia was going fine, why change it. Thats where my media and propaganda biased preference comes from  ;)

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:54PM »

what exactly are you trying to argue for?
lets just all hold hands and sing songs of friendship! that would seem to please you. Allthough handicapped people arent allowed to sing because they arent equal with us norms.

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 25, 2007, 06:56PM »
the rich get hardly any tax and the low income workers are getting taxed to buggery.

you couldnt be more wrong! low income earners (sub 35k per year) are paying bugger all tax! 15 cents per dollar (less with family tax breaks) if i remember correctly, now tell me how that is unfair when people earning over 75k are paying more like 45 cents per dollar.

i voted liberal and am quite peeved that kevin rudd was elected. John howard has done a good job thus far, so why get rid of him to somebody with no experience? makes no sense to me
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline greenbird

« Reply #23 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:21PM »
ehh, this is an argument with absolutely no end.
Everyone lives differently, everyone has different jobs and lifestyles and it all comes down to personal opinion.
No matter which party gets in, there will be lots of things happen that affect us all. Some good, some bad..... That's life!
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2007, 07:48PM »
what exactly are you trying to argue for?
lets just all hold hands and sing songs of friendship! that would seem to please you. Allthough handicapped people arent allowed to sing because they arent equal with us norms.

you're jumping the gun a little, I think the reference he made to the "people with special needs i.e disabled" was purely from a financial viewpoint.. rather than stating they are lesser than us norms.

so why get rid of him to somebody with no experience? makes no sense to me

'cause the majority of the voting population of Australia believe it's time for him to move on... I think you'll find not one Prime Minister has had experience as a Prime Minister at the beginning of their first term as Prime Minister... that.. would make no sense.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline minimikee

• aka TRX13
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2007, 09:17PM »
Its a common view held that treasurer' arent trust worthy.

Besides, if you vote for a labor government you are sure you are getting Kevin Rudd as a full term PM, Howard has made it very clear he is leaving once elected. I do have to say though that the Howard government skewed the working environment in favour of the employer, now its time to have the workers in charge for a bit, all workers demand as a rule is fair pay and working environment and really whats so bad about that??
lol Phantom and I at the wreckers
Me - 'Oi do you have a hammer'
Phantom - 'No, here have an auto-controller' lol

Offline stretch

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2007, 12:32AM »
ehh, this is an argument with absolutely no end.
Everyone lives differently, everyone has different jobs and lifestyles and it all comes down to personal opinion.
No matter which party gets in, there will be lots of things happen that affect us all. Some good, some bad..... That's life!

This sums it up pretty well.

Although this may be an interesting and educational thread for politically dislexsic people like me, shy of showing a video of either Kevin Rudd or John Howard clubbing a baby seal no one on this site is going to even come close to changing anyones opinion. We are all too stubborn.
"Noss is God"

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2007, 02:14AM »
that's rather marxist

I know, it was an impulse thought, but it's motivated by a strong dislike I have for rampant individualistic consumerism.  So you don't have your tax dollars back - now you can't have that fancy new Merc?  What a shame.  Basically, there's an amount of stuff we each need to survive.  It varies (eg. disabled people might need a wheelchair), but in general, we should all be able to be happy with a roughly equivalent amount of stuff.  Anything over that that we can consume does not serve to make us any richer, in a human sense.

I also dislike the shaky link between hard work and high pay.  Consider the disparity between people working the same jobs living in metropolitan Perth, and those working up in the mining towns.  Same job, just higher labour demand = higher pay.  What about people who do the same job between firms, but get paid differently?  And what about professions like stock brokers, who do little more than take guesses for a living, but if they strike lucky might earn heaps of dough, or bail out.  It doesn't make sense.  And I'm sure there's a fuckload of mechanics, labourers and such who would wonder why, even as they come home knackered from a tough day's work, that they are not earning as much as executives who sit in offices and guide corporate ships along without equivalent exertions.

With all the wealth in the world, it's strange that we all still feel we have to spend the majority of our adult lives slaving away at the coal face, only to retire and have some time to enjoy life when we are old and decrepit.  Why don't we all work a little less, spread the wealth around a little more, so that we all can enjoy simpler, easier lives?

I don't know where I'm going with this.  I just get up everyday, and I'm glad I don't have to see many other people in a day, because some just make me weep for the future.

Yep, i love it when my tax money funds some low life centre-link bum's meth habit.......

How about the tax dollars that could fund return-to-work programs?  Or drug rehab?  Or counselling services so that they don't have such a shitty childhood?  Or police so they don't grow up in such a rough neighbourhood?  Or teachers, so they could have a better education?  Or infrastructure, so they don't have to live somewhere with no facilities?

Your resentment for the symptom blinds you to the causes.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2007, 03:25AM »
this countrys stuffed./............. mind you its the best country in the world>>>
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2007, 09:24AM »
I know, it was an impulse thought, but it's motivated by a strong dislike I have for rampant individualistic consumerism.  So you don't have your tax dollars back - now you can't have that fancy new Merc?  What a shame.  Basically, there's an amount of stuff we each need to survive.  It varies (eg. disabled people might need a wheelchair), but in general, we should all be able to be happy with a roughly equivalent amount of stuff.  Anything over that that we can consume does not serve to make us any richer, in a human sense.

I also dislike the shaky link between hard work and high pay.  Consider the disparity between people working the same jobs living in metropolitan Perth, and those working up in the mining towns.  Same job, just higher labour demand = higher pay.  What about people who do the same job between firms, but get paid differently?  And what about professions like stock brokers, who do little more than take guesses for a living, but if they strike lucky might earn heaps of dough, or bail out.  It doesn't make sense.  And I'm sure there's a fuckload of mechanics, labourers and such who would wonder why, even as they come home knackered from a tough day's work, that they are not earning as much as executives who sit in offices and guide corporate ships along without equivalent exertions.

I think its maybe not about the physical exertion of your job, but maybe how much your job is in demand and the demand for your skills. An executive would deal with incredible stress when making decisions and is required to make decisions that will benefit a huge company. A miner is expected to do physical labour.

Btw I want to be a stockbroker  :)