Author Topic: P plater fatality's  (Read 17305 times)

Offline 2.4_PINNY_T

• antrx.com junior member
Re: P plater fatality's
« Reply #30 on: Dec 3, 2006, 06:23PM »
I’m glad to see a lot of other peoples views on this subject - a lot of my mates have gone for their p's lately and being in the car while they drive I really wonder how the fuck they passed the test, obviously the test standards are not good enough, I mean once you pass a 30 question test your let loose on the public roads to 'learn' straight away without much prior knowledge of vehicle dynamics and workings.

Inexperience + teenage behaviour does = accidents

doing advanced driving courses is excellent but they don’t cater well for inexperienced drivers in some cases as I found out a while back, so my suggestion would be a combination of advanced driving and a learning to drive course that is worked into the 6 months regularly and not just for a day - maybe even through the school education system. Also the view that advanced driving courses make some people over confident is true, some do come out of it thinking their heroes but at least they have some skills to correct the situation if one arises.

I am currently in training, so to speak, to get my p’s in January and have seen the effects of p platter accidents and It has effected me to think differently about driving and how inadequate the licensing system is and simple solutions like passenger restrictions and showing plates just don’t cut it in reducing accidents and why these are the only measures taking I don’t know – it seems so obvious to me but I just don’t see why it is not obvious to politicians! Obviously all this would cost a fair amount of money but it would be achievable and quite cheaper if it was developed for and adopted into the education system of senior high schools like for example America.

This is my view and thought I would express it since I’m the type of person that this topic is based on… but the system really needs changes!
\\\ |- IF YOU ARE GOING TO TOUCH ME >> YOU BETTER HAVE THE MONEY ALREADY OUT!! -|

Australia says No to Pauline Hanson

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #31 on: Dec 3, 2006, 11:38PM »
I am currently in training, so to speak, to get my p’s in January and have seen the effects of p platter accidents and It has effected me to think differently about driving and how inadequate the licensing system is and simple solutions like passenger restrictions and showing plates just don’t cut it in reducing accidents and why these are the only measures taking I don’t know – it seems so obvious to me but I just don’t see why it is not obvious to politicians! Obviously all this would cost a fair amount of money but it would be achievable and quite cheaper if it was developed for and adopted into the education system of senior high schools like for example America.

Cost and simplicity. Wearing a big P plate makes you a nice easy and recognisable target. The amount of people in your car is another easy target for police to ping. If an advanced driver system was implemented, the Govt. would have to fork out extra (which it does with all it's stupid adverts anyway) and if it was a condition for your licence that YOU had to pay for, people would get shitty about the extra costs.

I think if the govt subsidised it with their advert money and put the licencing fees up a tad, it'd work out fine. If you want to reach someone about driver safety etc, no better place than when they are going for it.
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #32 on: Dec 4, 2006, 09:12AM »
theres nothing we can do about it, no amount of rules will stop an idiot doing something stupid.

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #33 on: Dec 4, 2006, 09:22AM »
theres nothing we can do about it, no amount of rules will stop an idiot doing something stupid.

As was said, though. At least with the better training they'd have a much better chance of it not being fatal if they have some car control skills.

But yeah, I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's a bit the same with the safer cars. You can put all the safety stuff in them, but it won't stop people exceeding the safe limits of the car. Some hack is still going to find a way to drift it on the freeway  ::)
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #34 on: Dec 4, 2006, 08:08PM »
As far as I know, no one from this forum has ever been killed while on there P's. I think being part of this forum has taught alot of younger driver's things that they would never have thought about. Storie's that have happened all around us being shared which helps the younger driver's think about all the risk's out there.

Keep your points coming which hopefully will help out more people.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #35 on: Dec 4, 2006, 09:37PM »
Yeah, this forum has taught me alot. It also helped me realise that the occasional burnout is cool, but burning rubber 24/7? Whats the point? A bit of a spin is always a thrill when leavin the driveway or something..
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #36 on: Dec 4, 2006, 11:08PM »
Yeah, this forum has taught me alot. It also helped me realise that the occasional burnout is cool, but burning rubber 24/7? Whats the point? A bit of a spin is always a thrill when leavin the driveway or something..

But please folks, not in the driveway.  I delivered a pizza to a house the other day that had several strips on their short concrete driveway >_<
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #37 on: Dec 4, 2006, 11:56PM »
Burnouts on driveways are not cool. Burnouts in suburban streets aren't either.

Do them out where you won't annoy anyone with the noise, smoke and marks.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline SAIUN

• antrx.com junkie
  • ~(> ^_^)>
« Reply #38 on: Dec 5, 2006, 12:07AM »
Out near my dad's place in the hills there are some gravel roads that usually see some Commodores doing burnouts etc. That I have no real problem with since it's out in the bush and there's no other traffic so they'll just wrap themselves around a tree and not crash into anyone else. It's funny when you see a twisted and dented license plate lying on the gravel sometimes.   :D
Current mods:
ANTRX.com KA24E Stage 2 ECU chip (5kW)
ANTRX.com sticker (30kW) ;D

... that's about all.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #39 on: Dec 5, 2006, 10:50AM »
It's funny when you see a twisted and dented license plate lying on the gravel sometimes.   :D

you have a twisted sense of humour :P
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline EliseVL86

« Reply #40 on: Dec 24, 2006, 12:48AM »
Mmmm I know this is a kind of old thread but i only just stumbled across it, sorry for sorta bring it back again...

To the whole commodore thing...yeah theres a lot of wankers around that do drive commodores, but they seem to be a more common car, there's plenty of people around that drive commodores pretty sensibly - if someone wants to drive like a bat from hell, no matter what car they're driving, they're gonna do it. I don't know much about ford but I know that holden does make cars other than V6 commodores. I learnt to drive in a V6, when I got my Ps I kept on driving a V6, when I finally bought my car it was a straight 6. Drove an excel for a little bit when I had an instructor...Its not like i just jumped from a matiz to a V8. I still drive sensibly.

But there are a lot of good points - there are people driving around, and its quite obvious they couldn't drive a nail, let alone a car... My first car was written off by a P plater, he'd only had his license for under a month or something. Set of lights at an intersection, I was coming from one way and he was coming from the other - there were no turn arrows so whoever was turning had to give way. I was going straight through and he was turning right, gunned it to get through an orange light, straight into the side of my car. Its a pretty dodgy intersection, accidents there all the time, but I think in this case it was just carelessness... the guy was saying stuff like "but i had a green arrow!" (there WERE NOT any turning arrows) and "i was just following all the other cars around"....now this is really basic stuff, and someone who's only had their license for that amount of time is driving like that?!

I already knew what car I wanted when I was looking for another one...I had a limited amount of money...yes I bought the car that I wanted, but that was it, I WANTED it...for the same price I could've bought a pintara, a corolla, barina, there were so many other cars other than commodores. Yes I drive a commodore. And no, even though I get frustrated at peoples lack of driving skills, I'm not a hoon. My accident made me realise how ignorant a lot of other people are, I just can't believe the amount of people that just don't care, pulling out into main roads without even looking. I've been a passenger in a car going 160-170km/hr I think it was, in a 60 zone (gympie road for those of you in brisbane, down near chermside) and at one point I was a passenger in a car on the highway, and the car was going so fast that the speedo was so far along it wasn't pointing at a speed...i know it was travelling at least 180. in a 100 zone. at one point overtook someone down the side of the highway. Like someone else said, I think back to it now and the smallest little thing could've caused us to die. And for the record, it WAS a P plater driving. Not a commodore though. A Pintara. If someone wants to drive like a wanker, doesn't matter what car they're in. They'll do it anyway.

There's plenty of other cars that are in accidents that involve P platers, the media uses its power to bias people. I know in images of most of the accidents, theres always a commodore wrapped around a pole, theres probably been stuff about other cars but i've never seen them. But - if a commodore is a more common car, of course theres gonna be more accidents with them

As has been said, people just need better training. 10 times better then what their currently getting.

I'm pretty tired, I don't know if it all makes sense (probably doesn't) but I hope you sorta see where I'm getting at...

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #41 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:46PM »
To the whole commodore thing...yeah theres a lot of wankers around that do drive commodores, but they seem to be a more common car, there's plenty of people around that drive commodores pretty sensibly - if someone wants to drive like a bat from hell, no matter what car they're driving, they're gonna do it

I agree there are alot more commodores out there. But I have said before and say again, safer cars and better training are the targets that need to be addressed.

Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

Offline EliseVL86

« Reply #42 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:01PM »
I agree there are alot more commodores out there. But I have said before and say again, safer cars and better training are the targets that need to be addressed.

too right.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #43 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:02PM »
agreed, these politic wankers need to realise that its not the laws that have failed. Its the education behind driving.
But then again you don't get into politics by talking sense. Its a popularity competition where you gotta be fat and outrageous.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Mrtrx19

« Reply #44 on: Dec 26, 2006, 08:26PM »
yeah i agree with this totaly but there's always going to be crashes no matter what and it doesnt matter what car you drive 

Offline fiatman

« Reply #45 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:04PM »
well maybe because i drive a fiat (with vuirtually no brakes) im still alive lol

Offline Mrtrx19

« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:38PM »
what the f@#k ur not serious are you no brakes

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2006, 11:34PM »
fiats don't have brakes, they don't need them, they don't go fast enough XD

I think we should follow the training methods of Finland... who are crazy bastards who drive on ice and snow without chains... they just use a magical thing called throttle control.. and somehow they have a relatively low crash fatality ratio.
i heard something about 150 instructor hours.. not 50 hours with your parents... fully trained instructers who put you in adverse situations and teach you how to get out of them.. not sure of the exact details though.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline EliseVL86

« Reply #48 on: Dec 26, 2006, 11:44PM »
fiats don't have brakes, they don't need them, they don't go fast enough XD

teehee!  :D

yeah, the 150 hours with a pro sounds alot better. i don't think i even needed to have a certain amount of hours to get my license. as long as i passed a few crappy maneuvers, was all good.   :-\

Offline Mrtrx19

« Reply #49 on: Dec 26, 2006, 11:51PM »
yeah true that they are a bit slow but driving on ice without chains still is a bit crazy tho

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #50 on: Dec 27, 2006, 08:51AM »
bwaha fiat not fast enough

you aint seen some nice fiats then i assume  :)
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline tommmoe

• [TOM-03S]
« Reply #51 on: Dec 27, 2006, 09:22AM »
Sorry for bringing up the topic once again but theres something i have to get off my chest..
with the amount of taxes being put on imported cars, sports cars, 'safe' cars, think about it most p platers are 17 - 19 working part time earning what $10-15 a hour its kind of hard to save 10k+ for a car that will handle good so most of us P platers are forced into buying cars that are over 10 years old etc.. as Chris said about a friend loosing the car in the national park, do you think it had a proper suspension setup? for 2k i doubt it.. take a look next time you see a p plater fatality what car it is, last car i saw was a v6 magna that handles like a truck.

Whats the answer? more training of course, but also think about what shit boxes many p platers drive if your not a drug dealer what chance do you have to buy a skyline etc.. at least something with decent handling..

just my 2 cents :)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #52 on: Dec 27, 2006, 12:31PM »
work harder you pov :p.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #53 on: Dec 28, 2006, 10:19AM »
Learn how to control your truck then teehee
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #54 on: Dec 28, 2006, 05:10PM »
Whats the answer? more training of course, but also think about what shit boxes many p platers drive if your not a drug dealer what chance do you have to buy a skyline etc.. at least something with decent handling..

How true.

Good old Nissan.

Offline fiatman

« Reply #55 on: Dec 29, 2006, 11:34PM »
bwaha fiat not fast enough

you aint seen some nice fiats then i assume  :)

well at least someone else on here actually knows what there talking about

Offline xxxx

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #56 on: Dec 30, 2006, 03:10AM »
fiatman is not joking either, from 60kph its a joke. his car accelerates faster then it can decelerate and is impossible to lock the brakes up  ;D He likes to call it old school ABS.
Noss you look like a cereal killer ;D

well not our fault that saantrx is gay as

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:01AM »
Sounds like he wont have to worry aboot whether the car stops or not soon.....  :-X

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline EliseVL86

« Reply #58 on: Dec 30, 2006, 12:49PM »
Lol I know someone who apparently drove from Brisbane to the Sunshine Coast in a Kombi van thing that didn't have brakes...just changed down gears and used the handbrake to stop or something i think  ??? At least theres not too many young kids driving around in cars like that.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #59 on: Dec 31, 2006, 01:01AM »
after wakefield track day, rake was using his handbrake to stop :p..