Author Topic: Short Shifter Fit for U13's  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
Short Shifter Fit for U13's
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:14PM »
Okay guys and gal, as you know i have fitted the short shifter to my car.
And well have found some con's and some pro's about the shifter.

I'm not going to give you a step by step guide in fitting but will tell you what i had to do to get it onto my car.

Well firstly got home from work and as you know the exhaust was BLOODY hot...so waited around patiently for about 30mins before i couldnt wait any more, got the car jacked up on once side, put under a jack stand and started unbolting the front part of the catalyst. Dropped down the exhaust for easy access to the shielding and shifter setup.

Anyways, removed it all and started fitting the short shifter. As previously found we have noticed that the U13 bush is too big for the aftermarket short shifter. So i got a hold of a U12 bush and put that over the ball of the aftermarket bush and tried to fit it into the cup that holds the bush and ball (you will know what I'm on about when you get there) but unfortunately it would not fit, so what i did was shave bits of the U12 bush so it fits into the U13 cup.

I shaved the little tabs that stick out on the U12 bush so it fitted into the U13 cup.

Once all that was done everything else fit good into the cup, so thats really the only modification required to the bush.

So started putting it back together under the car and noticed another thing, that the heat shield will not fit over the gear lever as it sits much lower (for the shorter throw) so got out the trusty hammer and started beating the shit out the that shield, got that kind of the right shape and no more scraping of the link on the shield (there is plenty of clearance between the catalyst and shield, so you can bend it as much as you wish). After putting the sheild and cat back on i got out the screw driver and bent the sheild some more (i mean who's gonna look at it anyways).

Got up top and decided to test it out, the throw itself is much shorter and well stiffer, in some cases its bit hard to get into third, all other gears are ok tho, so practice practice. Another thing that bugged me is that the stick sits a lot further forward, which is little bit annoying really, so what i might have to do it pull it out again one day and bend the bar more back, so its not so straight.

Here are some pics of what it looks like installed into the car with the stock know and boot.. This is in neutral

This is in 1st gear, as you can see not much clearance between the stick and the plastic, but I'm telling ya, its not moving any further forward..

Some con's and pro's.

Con's
- Need to get U12 bush and cut to fit
- Sits quiet far forward (stick needs to be bent back bit)
- Rubs on shielding if not dented out
- Bit rough and stiff at times

Pro's
- Short throw
- Very precise
- Stick height itself is shorter
- Fits original knob and boot

My best bet for the U12 bush is to ring wreckers, now I'm not sure if they will sell you just the bush itself, you might have to buy the whole shifer setup off the U12, which i have been advised cost around $40.

But if you go wreckers yourself and see some rip them off, maybe even take the cup and the 2 rubber bits that sit on the bottom and top of the bush (you will know what i mean when/if you get it yourself)

I have a diagram from Nissan showing what you will need. Now dont bother getting a new bush from nissan cos they cost $75 (not kidding, i checked myself)

Feel free to add comments questions, will be willing to help..

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Short Shifter Fit for U13's
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:33PM »
good to see the bush i gave you works mate.. wreckers should be able to help out the few u13 people no worries.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:35AM »
So would you say its worth putting it in? Hrmm i wonder where my shifter is ???
I am a man More sinn'd against than sinning.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:47AM »
your shifter is at my parents house just like a lot of the others are. i posted in the group buy thread that it would be up to 2 weeks before you could expect to see them. that was about a week ago. i've sent 10 out, there are another 12 or so to go, only reason they havent been sent is that i ran out of express post satchels.

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:27PM »
So would you say its worth putting it in? Hrmm i wonder where my shifter is ???

I'd say yes.

BUT they need slight modification. At the moment cos the shifter is sitting so far forward is a real pain to change gears. As you have to reach out to hit 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Also notice another thing today, when the drink holder is open the shifer hits it. So next weekend/week i will be taking it out and bending it into shape.

So i recommend that U13 owners putting one in to get it bent into the same angle as the stock one, so it sits in the right place.

Im telling you this so you can prepare it all and have fun with it.

Honestly tho, the shifting is so much easier, especially between 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th.. So short.

Will keep you all updated..

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2006, 01:24PM »
Cheers mate - that is really helpful. I appreciate the foresight, it will help little old financially unstable me to get it right first time.  I still wonder when I'm going to get mine!

Offline timstar

• antrx.com full member
  • When only the best will do.... timstar!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:52PM »
What would be required to bend these?

Aren't they stainless steel?
I'm not scared of dying I just don't want to

If I stopped lying, I'd just disappoint you!!!!!

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:39PM »
What would be required to bend these?

Aren't they stainless steel?

I guess just use a vice??

Offline timstar

• antrx.com full member
  • When only the best will do.... timstar!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:39AM »
hmm... I have my concerns that they may snap before they bend.

However, in saying that I must admit my experience with bending stainless steel rods in non-existent.

Perhaps someone with metal working knowledge could offer a more learned opinion
I'm not scared of dying I just don't want to

If I stopped lying, I'd just disappoint you!!!!!

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:08AM »
They aren't stainless,  not sure what is underneath the chrome plating.
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2006, 07:43PM »
Well i grabbed a second short shifter..hehe well i stole Teena's...hehe

Got into the garage tonight and started wacking the crap out of it, and well got it into the same shape as the stocko one.

Took bit of time but only cos i took my time, didnt want to break it or ruin it too much.

Got some piccies below.

Had a third angle, but camera died, and well need to buy new batteries. So hope these will make some sence as to what it looks like.

Wednesday night will be most likely fitting it (if i get time) and will update you with the results

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2006, 08:21PM »
Good job Tommy. I'm sure it was a good way to release stress. Just don't go belting the crap out of mine (well yours that will be mine, seeing as you nicked mine  :-\), i'm not too sure if i will bother putting it in yet...

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2006, 09:46PM »
I'll put the modified one in and let you play with it. That way you will feel the end result and can decide from there.

I hope it feels much better, well sits much better that is..

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:23PM »
Well guys got the modified short shifter in, and must say is soooo much better then before. That bend really does help alot, with the confort and shift.. It practically sits in the same place as the stocko one.

Heres some piccies...

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2006, 07:55AM »
KA-Bluey, great to see that you've got it all sorted out. Just another few questions about the shifter installation.

1. Is the shifter bent slightly more towards the driver side?
2. The U12 bush we required, does it sit above or below the shifter's 'ball' portion?
3. Roughly how big are the screws that go onto the heat shield? I'm trying to get some spacers.

Thanks.  ;D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2006, 09:05AM »
the screws in the heat shield are only about 15mm long if that.

the bush you need goes around/on the ball.

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2006, 05:12PM »
KA-Bluey, great to see that you've got it all sorted out. Just another few questions about the shifter installation.

1. Is the shifter bent slightly more towards the driver side?
2. The U12 bush we required, does it sit above or below the shifter's 'ball' portion?
3. Roughly how big are the screws that go onto the heat shield? I'm trying to get some spacers.

Thanks.  ;D

Thanks Tom

1. The (before bending) short shifter is pretty straight. The one i bent myself does face slightly towards the driver side, its sits in exactly the same place as the stock one, just slightly lower.
2. The u12 bush sits over the ball part like Noss has said, You'll see what i mean if you do the job yourself.
3. No sure on the length, think they are around 10-15mm long.

If you need a hand fitting it just give me a call or send me a text, i should be able to help you out one night or weekend day.

I was thinking of spacers but decided to smack it with a hammer instead, its really flexible, i just smacked the middle out and bent it back into shape with my hands, and aligned the holes once it was on the car.

Offline brad

• antrx.com full member
  • WAGOOD......
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2006, 09:17AM »
I`m still yet to recieve my shifter????!!!
Anyway,thanks a million for the writeup Ka-bluey,as soon as i get mine ill start work on it!! :)
Karma for Ka-bluey 8)

If your happy and you know it clap your hands!!!!

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #18 on: Mar 5, 2006, 10:56AM »
Installed mine yesterday and had so many problems.  firstly a few wreckers were closed being saturday (as i needed the bush), one wrecker had the part but couldnt be bothered getting it for me, another wanted $95 for the shifter and bush and wouldnt sell the bush.  So i went to u-pull-it and was lucky to find one which i pulled and paid $11 for the whole shifter :D.  go my old one out which was a pain because my massive cat is welded on and it seemed to dodgy to undo the exhaust at the extractors.  so anyway tried to bend the new shifter in my little vice...it couldnt be done!! damn solid steel. so i put it in with out bending it.  its not too bad, but it took ages to get it on the right setting so the stick wasnt seized.  oh well done now til i go to my mates with a massive vice so i can bend it!

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #19 on: Mar 6, 2006, 08:03AM »
so anyway tried to bend the new shifter in my little vice...it couldnt be done!! damn solid steel. so i put it in with out bending it.  its not too bad, but it took ages to get it on the right setting so the stick wasnt seized.  oh well done now til i go to my mates with a massive vice so i can bend it!

I bent the shifter without a vice. Just a hammer and an hour of my weekend. Do be careful not to deform the screw thread and the other end of the shifter (where the ball bearings are). I've got a new bush and dust boot from Nissan for about 50ish.

I've got help from KA-Bluey to fit the shifter in and it result was gooood! Stiffer shift but really short and accurate. Good stuff. Thanks Noss, Pringles and KA-Bluey.  ;D

Offline Leopard-Man

• antrx.com junkie
  • vg20det ftw
« Reply #20 on: Mar 6, 2006, 09:47PM »
Thanks Noss, Pringles and KA-Bluey.  ;D

Yeah i agree.  thanks heaps guys. 

btw with bendin i cant see how you did it with just a hammer.  Maybe i was trying to be too careful.  i think ill just heat it up. 

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #21 on: Mar 7, 2006, 07:40AM »
btw with bendin i cant see how you did it with just a hammer.  Maybe i was trying to be too careful.  i think ill just heat it up. 

I did it by placing the shifter between two kerbs and striking the hammer at where the bent is. Do make sure that the screw thread and the bearing ends are not deformed. Took me about an hour though. Think Tommy had it on a vice. Good luck.  ;D

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #22 on: Mar 8, 2006, 08:43PM »
Yea i did it in a vice

Just make sure you take your time bending it and hitting it with a hammer.

If you put it in the vice, but it so its at the bending point.

It wont break, just done bend it like on a 90degree angle..

Offline Unbalanced_

• antrx.com junkie
  • U13 owner once again!
    • http://www.myspace.com/unbalanced_
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 08:15PM »
Thanks for the guide. Ill pass this onto my mechanic and he can do it... lol... Im lazy.
My car history:
'88 Toyota Camry - Engine Died
'85 Toyota Corona - Engine Died
'82 Nissan Bluebird - Write Off
'88 Toyota Camry (same one as before) - Trans Died
'94 Nissan Bluebird LX - SOLD
'88 Toyota Hilux - Handed over to dad and now residing in Perth
'84 Nissan R30 Skyline - SOLD
'99 Nissan Stagea RS4-S - SOLD

Current rides:
'99 Mazda FD RX7 - Lots of fun, but currently up for sale
'95 Nissan Bluebird LX - Current sedate daily
'85 Suzuki GSXR250 - Motorbikes are fun! :)