Author Topic: Where to route amplifier cable through firewall in a U13?  (Read 3937 times)

Offline fenis

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
G'day guys,

I'm getting ready to install an amplifier in my 1994 U13 Bluebird LX and I'm in the preliminary stage of thinking about where to route wires etc. I'd rather not have to drill a new hole in the firewall to route the amplifier power cable through (from the battery positive terminal).

If you look at the passenger side of the engine bay (upper right area), there is a rubber grommet which feeds some wires through the firewall which I think would enter the other side around the upper glovebox area:

Close up of grommet on passenger side of engine bay:

This would be ideal to use as it's on the same side as the battery.

Zoomed out pic of where grommet is:

The problem is that I have no clue where the other side of that grommet is from inside the cabin. I removed the glovebox and had a poke around in there but there's too much crap in the way to be able to see or feel anything.

Passenger footwell area with glovebox removed:

Excuse my noobness but what is that big black box and white thing on the left? I reckon behind all that crap is where the other side of the grommet is.

Does anyone have any experience with poking an amplifier power wire through the firewall in a U13 without drilling a new hole?

Cheers.  ;)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
Re: Where to route amplifier cable through firewall in a U13?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:45PM »
I'm going to guess that the white thing is related to the air-con.... and i'll just go and take some snaps of where i ran my power wire for you :)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:57PM »
Okay... it's really hard to get pictures but I'll do my best to explain where I ran my wire.

firstly i STARTED inside the cabin and found a suitable grommet which i proceeded to attack with a screwdriver until i made a nice hole in it, it's much much easier if you start from inside.

Now, the hole I used was almost behind the center console area, but not quite. Looking at the passenger footwell head on it's in the upper right:

And where it comes out in the engine bay:

Note that my engine bay has things like ABS lines which yours won't. I assume that all U13's share the same firewall, and therefore you should have a grommet where i have a grommet (my bluebird is imported from japan)

If this doesn't help I totally understand, let me know and I'll try to get some better shots.

EDIT: also I didn't have to remove the glovebox to get to my hole.... but i'd imagine it would've made it easier and less stressful on my neck :)

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 11:18PM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:00PM »
The way i do it, is get an old wire coat hanger, get ur cable, tie it to one end in a not. Then, push the other end through the grommet, untill u can see/feel it through the other end. Grab it from the other side, and pull it through.

Its exactly the same idea like needle and thread.

Make kinda sense?  :-X

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:04PM »
yeh i do that after I've made the initial hole (some of the grommets are ridiculously thick)

Also fenis i just noticed you're from Perth, Like me :) If you want a hand I'd be more then happy to help out.
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2007, 11:18PM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:00PM »
You may be able to use that hole in the original post, if you want to try it cut a slit in the grommet and feed about 1-1.5 metres of cable through the hole, then see if you can find it inside the cabin.

Or you can do what Jellobello said and use the ecu loom grommet. You should be able to get it through there without a coat hanger.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline fenis

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:07PM »
JelloBello thanks for taking those pics -  I really appreciate it.  ;D

I know exactly the area you're talking about it's on the bottom right passenger footwell area but more behind the centre console. I did see a very small grommet there but assumed it's too small. Perhaps I should try squeezing a wire through there. You're correct in stating that I don't have ABS lines (I have a series 1 94 LX).

Yeah I was planning on using a coathanger to poke through the grommet. I have a day off this wednesday so I'll try it out then. JelloBello, if I'm still stuck I'll send you a pm so I can learn off the master.  :D

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:44PM »
Call a sparky, they have these yellow flexible sticks which they use to feed cables through walls in houses and whatnot.

Get that stick, electrical tape the shit out of the cable onto the stick, and jam it through the hole, I've got the same car, amps in the boot, and thats the hole i used.

Offline fenis

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2007, 11:13PM »
Sorry P-Unit which hole did you use, the grommet I took photos of initially or the ECU loom one that JelloBello used?

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:34PM »
let us know how you go :)
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline fenis

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:39PM »
JelloBello last night I tried looking for the ECU loom grommet that you used but I couldn't find it. (I thought I saw one around there the 1st time I looked but I was wrong).

Do you have to pull back the carpet and the rubber wall stuff to get to it? Would you be able to get a pic of the actual grommet? If it's too difficult to get one don't worry about it.

Cheers.  8)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:42PM »
I'll try and get a better shot for you 2morrow sometime.... Also are you North or south of the river?
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline fenis

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2007, 10:56PM »
That would be awesome.  ;D  I'm in Nedlands.

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2007, 12:04AM »
I used the top hole just behind the airbox