Author Topic: Thinking of joining the club...  (Read 19404 times)

Offline cosmic

• antrx.com junior member
Thinking of joining the club...
« on: Mar 16, 2007, 12:07AM »
G'day,

I remember being 15 years old, and seeing the then new U13 Bluebird SSS released here in Australia... I guess if nothing else, I just loved that it had a Heads Up Display, but also its lovely styling compared to most of the then very boxy cars on the market.  After falling in love with this car, I decided that I'd never own a car that wasn't feature packed...

Fast foward a few years, I got my first car... and didn't have to compromise on that decision - I got a 1981 Nissan 280zx... power steering, windows, mirrors, a/c, battery meter, adjustable wiper speed, targa roof...

The time however has come that I need a family car... I'm a full time student, as is my fiancée, and we are expecting our first child in October.  So, I started thinking of cars I'd consider owning other than a "Zed".... and the Bluebird came to mind.

Looking online at a few sites, I see they sell for around $4,500 - $9,500... 

At 13ish years old, what kinds of problems can I expect the cars to have?  Any common faults to be aware of?  Do they suffer from rust as badly as the 280zx?

I'm curious how much they sold for new? 

So many questions... :) 

Any advice greatly appreciated...

cheers

cosmic

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Thinking of joining the club...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2007, 01:23AM »
I've heard of them rusting in the bottom of the doors, but it isn't really an issue if you get to it when it first appears. It's apparently caused by a foam block inside the door holding water and rusting the door skin.

If you do a quick search you should be able to find a heap more info...

EDIT: here's a post from a little while back: http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=11200.0
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2007, 01:25AM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2007, 03:06PM »
Yeah, Jono is right about the rust in the front doors, but it isnt right at the bottom. It happens about 6 inches up from the bottom. Wierd place to have rust begin, but not a problem if treated quickly after it is discovered to stop the spread. It certainly won't affect the structural integrity of the car...
The link to the other thread that Jono has posted will tell you pretty much everything i need to know.
I've had my U13 for nearly 7 years now and still enjoy driving it every time i get in it! Not bored with it at all yet...
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline cosmic

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2007, 06:46PM »
I just replaced a door on my Zed because it rusted at about that height.  It also had rust in the very bottom of the door as well though.

I'm liking the fact that I've found a website for these cars, with people as passionate about them as I have been about my 280zx's over the past 8 years. 

I was just thinking about it today... can remember when my dad bought a new family car for my mum to drive - a Mazda 121, circa 1994 - and trying to get him to instead by a Bluebird SSS... looking at one up at Kerry Nissan in Darwin...  then later when I found a 280zx in a caryard, and loving that despite it being 13 or so years older than the Bluebird SSS, it still had power windows, steering, mirrors, etc etc...

I'll have to start reading up... and then looking at local cars... though not too early... whilst I'm sure the "motor finance wizard" will say yes to giving me a loan (Student? YES!  Centrelink payments?  YES!), I wont want a shark-loan, even if it does mean my baby will have to ride in the back seat of the Zed for a few months.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:08PM »
gearbox fun after 200k, but thats common in many cars :)

if you can find a low k model, i would do anything you could to snap it up. good driving there.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline cosmic

« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2007, 07:49PM »
Had to get a new gearbox for my Zed in 03 after driving thru a flooded river in NT... :} 

What do you call low K's?

Do all SSS's have the HUD, or was it an optional extra? 
If not, how hard to instal one?

This one:
http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_W931531545900_kw_bluebird_loc_locRZSQregtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ4AVSCregRZSQ_off_11_sect_Automotive_sort_otRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQSearchDisplayPriorityIndAVSCotRZSQ1BJDZfdRZSQFirstPublished_sqt_0_stpg_1_subs_Used+Cars_

is just down the road from my house.  Might go check it out tonight, then go back later for a test drive.

Yeah - figure it's probably a good idea to actually test drive one of the cars before getting too invested in them... Might not like how they drive ;) 

Offline greenbird

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2007, 12:00PM »
Hmm, i just looked at the trading post ad for that car.
Be careful with it. The rear bumper looks rippled in the photo's and it is a completely different colour to the rest of the car. Looks like it might have been slightly rear ended?
$8000 is way to much for it anyway. But still go check it out just for the sake of it and then keep on looking!
If you can find a manual car, they go a HELL of a lot harder than the auto's and they use less fuel whilst doing it too.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2007, 01:16PM »
again, i wish i bought the sss i testicle-drove. it had every optional extra and went so well. but we feared the audible ticking in the engine :(
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline cosmic

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2007, 05:01PM »
Took my fiancée to look at it today... hadn't noticed the bumper issue from the pics, and couldn't really tell in person that the colour didn't match, but yeah - it caught out attention cos it doesn't look like it's lined up correctly... little gap around the top of the bumper, and the groves don't match the body...

How do I tell what model the car is?  There was no "SSS" or "LQ" or "Ti" badging... it had cruise, lots of buttons on the driver side door... couldn't see any HUD in the dash though.  They are fairly obvious, yes?

imaspy
What is "every optional extra"?  I like extras... :)  Is why I studied the Nissan 280zx's wiring diagrams so I could figure out how to modify a 79 in order to use an 81's windscreen wipers (which have an adjustable time delay for the intermittent setting)... now that was a fun job.

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #9 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:01PM »
I have a series 1 SSS, and i looked into it all before i bought the SSS. Like series 2 vs series 1 and SSS, TI, LX etc...

Basically the series 1 do not have ABS or Airbags as opposed to the series 2. The series 2 sss's came standard with polished mags. Same mags as the series 1, just polished. The series 2 have a slat grill as opposed to the honeycomb grill of the series 1. The bootlid badge is also different.

The sss has the velour interior and leather parts (steering wheel, gearstick knob and gearstick boot), woodgrain strip on the dash, the HUD, fog lights, side skirts and rear spoiler, CD & tape player and 6 speaker stereo, climate control.

The lx has cloth interior and vinyl parts (steering wheel, gearstick knob & gearstick boot), black plastic on dash, no HUD, no fog lights, no kit (unless it was purchased as optional extra, tape player and 4 speaker stereo, air con (not climate control).

Both have cruise control standard, i think... And they all have power windows.

The ti as far as i know only came standard in auto, and i think some of them had sunroof. Dunno much else about it and can't say i've seen too many around. I've got the original series 2 bluebird catalogue somewhere.

I personally preferred the series 1, and thought the extra $1k or so for the SSS was well spent above the going prices for an LX, for the extras.

I've never had any problems with rust in mine, and it's pretty much been a trouble free car for me. The only problems i've had are the rear brake callipers leaking fluid and the starter motor shat not so long ago. Mine's got 246,000kms on the clock and it's still going great. Mine's a manual and the gearbox is still really nice in it. I'm getting rid of mine soon, but it's only because i've upgraded to something a little faster... They are notorious for oil leaking from the o-ring to the dizzy, and mine had been replaced by the previous owner.

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:08PM »
That bluey would be a series one LX. The front grille is def series one, the mags are unpolished and the bootlid badge is a series one.
The interior from the photos appears to be cloth (not velour) with the black plastic trim (not woodgrain) on the dash, making it an LX. It also doesn't have the SSS climate control, CD player, HUD, side skirts, leather sports steering wheel or foglights. So it is definately an LX.

The rear bumper does look dodgey and i think the $7,990 is quite alot for it. IMO i would go for a SSS as you would be able to pick one up for around that.

Offline cosmic

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:28PM »
So, by the sounds of it...

http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminfo/adnumber_W1077032252415_kw_bluebird_loc_locRZSQregtAVSCdistRZSQAVSCstateRZSQ4AVSCregRZSQ_off_15_sect_Automotive_sort_otRZSQ0BJDZfdRZSQMakeYear_sqt_0_stpg_1_subs_Used+Cars_

This would be the car to buy...  SSS, with airbags, CD/6 speaker, rear spoiler, manual, 170,000 km...

Damn, sooo wish I hadn't already borrowed $5k from my folks to restore the roof... can't really hit them up again for another $7k!  :}

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:52PM »
That one looks pretty good. It's a series one like mine. The series one's don't have the airbags though, it's only the series 2's...

From the rear shot, the bootlid looks a slightly different colour. Could be just the angle/lighting/my eyes. Mine's got the slightly faded bootlid, so perhaps it just got a respray???

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2007, 11:09PM »
Good choice going for a Bluey... :)

Do all SSS's have the HUD, or was it an optional extra? 
If not, how hard to instal one?

All AUS delivered U13s have the HUD feature, JAP etc models had it as an option on certain models.
Installing a HUD into a non HUD is a bit tricky. You could buy the SSS wiring looms from a wreck and
all the other HUD parts (HUD display unit, HUD control unit (on the back of the gauge cluster)) and
replace the looms in your model or you can splice into the VSS signals and retain the LX or Ti loom
with a bit of rewiring. There are PDFs on nissanclub.com with vague instructions on how to do so.
I nearly did it when I had my U13 but decided against it as it was going to cost at least $500-$1000
and the missus wanted to get me a newer car.

My old U13 LX Series 1 (with a few SSS upgrades)...

Offline cosmic

« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2007, 11:29PM »
:)

Just have to say - I'm enjoying this...

Flashbacks to before buying my first car... getting answers to questions that will hopefully soon become second nature...

And the HUD is to the U13 what the "Talking Lady" is to the 280zx... An optional extra that some people go crazy trying to instal/repair... Except a lot of people hated the Zed's Talking Lady (vocal warnings for various alarts such as low fuel, door open, etc etc), whereas everyone seems to love the HUD.

Offline rich85

« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2007, 08:44AM »
the SSS is also the only one with a rear wiper

weird.
93 U13 SSS

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2007, 03:10PM »
Yeah, the HUD really is something special...
They seem to last as well. There are still late 80s early 90s Silvias around with working HUDs.
Regarding the HUD, don't believe ANYONE that says if your windscreen breaks you'll have to pay
a shitload for a replacement special HUD windscreen. The HUD projects onto a patch of
mirror tint stuck on the standard U13 windscreen. The HUD even works without the mirror tint, just looks a
bit dull.

If you get a LX or Ti, you could get an aftermarket Defi hud. They go for about $240 new, look better, and
installation is easier than installing a SSS HUD.
The LX is very similar to the Ti model, they both share the same seats and upholstery.
The Ti just gets a leather steering wheel, foggies, sunroof (optional I think), fancy side badges, cd player,
better stereo system, climate control, woodgrain, and that's pretty much it.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2007, 03:13PM by Alister »

Offline phreeky

« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2007, 03:41PM »
Meh to the HUD in my opinion - maybe I just say that because I don't have one? I dunno, I find them a little silly - could always just mount a PDA hooked up to consult and get a reading of every sensor known to man instead.

IMO the biggest visual improvement you could do to an aus-spec U13 is a jap-spec front bumper, it looks 10 times better - http://www.clubpoint.net/bluebird/Img_5542.jpg (car wasn't the cleanest in that photo)

Other than that, if you're not TOO tight on cash and want something faster, maybe you ought to buy an import one anyway.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2007, 07:16PM »
A couple more things to add...
All series 1 bluebirds (LX, Ti and SSS) got cruise control, but didn't have airbags.
For series 2, all models got an airbag, but the cruise control was dropped in the LZ. Only Ti and SSS cars gotr the cruise control in series 2 form.
Not all series 2 SSS's got ABS... My Bro's 95 model (series 2) SSS doesn't have it. It must have been an option.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline cosmic

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2007, 03:08PM »
I just checked out another Bluebird... it's actually the one that I posted a link to on 18/March 4.28pm...

SSS
170,000km
Manual
HUD, CD, etc
$6,990

The sales guy was pretty good in that he DIDN'T try convince me to buy it today, though he did say they're offering a 5 year warranty "offer ending today" on all mechanical/electrical.  When I said we were both students, wanting to wait til I had a full time job, he accepted that and didn't push, though was happy to talk about the car still.  I call that a good salesperson, able to look to the future instead of just the here and now.

The car itself looked good.  One small dint on the rear passenger door, and the rear bumper just looked slightly out of alignment... but colour was right, unlike that LX model I first looked at...

Interior looked nice, though the "wood" panel appeared to have a crack on the passenger side - may have been a join mark?  Or is it meant to be 1 continuous strip?

I can definitely see myself in a car like that, though still haven't test drove one.  Didn't feel like lying to the salesman and implying I was actually seriously looking, in order to get a test drive.

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:33PM »
The woodgrain panel in SSS and Ti models pretty much ALWAYS cracks. It's hard to find one which hasn't cracked.
The black panel in the LX doesn't seem to have a problem.

Offline greenbird

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2007, 10:22PM »
Good opportunity to ditch the crappy looking plastic woodgrain for the nice, slick, shiny, good looking black panel from the LX!!!
I hate that plastic woodgrain crap. It looks terrible!
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline cosmic

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2007, 11:19PM »
Is it a big job to swap the wood strip over to the black one?

Need to visit a wrecker, or do Nissan still make/have stockpile of them?

Not that I'll be buying *that* car... unless it's still sitting there in about 8 months...

Offline greenbird

« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2007, 08:17AM »
I believe that it is a pretty easy job as it just clips in?
Check out the Factury service manual that i posted and is now a sticky at the top of the U13 section....
That should tell you.
No doubt you would still be able to get the parts from Nissan, but i imagine they would be quite expensive.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
17X7 Concept 5 wheels

Offline rich85

« Reply #24 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:37AM »
i have been trying to think of what to do with that cracked plastic woodgrain, everyone that jumps in the car seems to say "oh this is quite luxurious isnt it, bit of cracked plastic there though''

i wonder why it cracks? too much pressure on it maybe? everyone i see seems to be cracked above the glove box only
93 U13 SSS

Offline cosmic

« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2007, 10:49AM »
greenbird - Oh, cool... I should have had a look at that thread; just thought it was someone after a FSM, not the actual thing digitised!  :)  Buying the FSM was one of the first things I did when I got my Zed.

rich85 - yeah, the one I looked at, it was cracked just above the right side of the glove box...
I imagine it's just like Dashboards cracking... lots of heat, then cold on plastic... making it expand/contract/expand/contract... til it's had enough.

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2007, 12:30PM »
Yeah my woodgrain was cracked when i bought my car. It is a two piece bit, but then mine was cracked near the glovebox. I enquired at one wreckers about getting an lx black panel and they wanted $120 for the two pieces... screw that. I ended up buying the woodgrain part from counterpunch's attesa wreck that he had for a bit less than that. Ka-bluey fitted it for me, without too many hassles...

Offline cosmic

« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:40PM »
Just checked out another Bluey...

Series 2, 1996
Auto, maroon, LX
Shiny alloys - ok, I see the diff now...
$7,990

Q.  The bumper on this one also seemed to slightly be out of alignment with the rest of the car... and yet, it matched at the top, and the "groove" in the middle matched, but at the bottom it was out by a few millimeters... enough to be noticable.

Is this common... how they came... ???

Also now have seen the black strip instead of the woodgrain... I think I almost prefer it, as the wood kinda looks.... well... like it's trying to be something it's not... :}  (Sorry to all the wood grain strip fans out there)   That said... me being me... the perfectionist stock standard guy... I'll probably want the wood grain by the time I get the car...

Offline rich85

« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2007, 05:33PM »
i would definantely try and get a manual SSS like the one you looked at over an auto LX which was higher in price anyway
93 U13 SSS

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2007, 02:43PM »
Don't get a LX. Trust me you'll regret it.
Definatly go for SSS (or Ti if you can't find a good SSS).

The plastic strip is easy to replace, few screws around the place etc.
When I was at All Auto Recylcing at Strathpine wanting to get the woodgrain SSS/Ti panel out of a wreck, I went with one of the guys to get it out.
I was telling him where the screws were, got the first piece out no worries, second piece - Me: "Mate stop levering up the second piece, it's still screwed in!"
Guy: "Naaahh we've already taken all the screws out." *continues to lever up panel with screwdriver* *craaack*
 ::)

$120 is very exxy for a strip. I was getting the SSS strip for $50.