Author Topic: I suspect my distributor is playing up due to oil leaking from the rocker cover.  (Read 1924 times)

Offline ashpash

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
The car (U13 KA24DE) is idling rough when it warms up and won't restart until it cools down. :o

My question is whether the dizzy can be saved (cleaned out or internals replaced) or is it dead? 

Any advice appreciated. :)

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
The easy way is to open the distributor and have a look. Mine doesn't have any oil. Before removing, do mark out exactly where the distributor sits (timing purposes) and remember exactly how you take the distributor out cos you need to put it back the same way. Do a search around, there is plenty of threads on rough idle. The best way is still to get hold of the service manual and go through the proper diagnostic process.  :)

There are guys from States (Altima forum) are saying that the O ring can be replaced but it takes a fair bit of work. Nissan quoted me $1000 for a dizzy. Hope this all helps.  :)

Offline ashpash

Thanks wicked. I think I'll try and get my datascan configured for the U13. This Bluebird SSS is my daughters car (ashpash), mine is a 300zxTT. Nissans rule!

If the diagnosis doesn't help I'll start with the ignition leads and plugs and go back from there.

From searching this forum it sounds like an ignition problem, but I also wonder its the fuel pump. It only happens when the motor warms up.

Btw - great forum. I'm with aus300zx.com so I guess I'm a visiting cousin.

Thanks for your help.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
The o-ring is a standard nissan part and is easy to replace. once the distributor is out of the car it is less than a 5min job.

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
I had the same ploblem with my old lx, dist was stuffed so I took it to a place in bankstown that reconditions them swaped my old dist for a reco one for $300.
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
I fixed my O-ring leak using a bit of that white elastic tape stuff... seems to have fixed the leak for the past 3 months untill i finally decide to get a proper o-ring to suit.  It really does piss out oil if you dont attend to it though, I spent a heap of time cleaning my gearbox and engine bay last year only to have it covered in oil now  :(

Offline ashpash

Longish, but a question for the gurus at the end
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2007, 04:17PM »
I replaced the distributor with a second hand one from the wreckers to get the car going. Didn't really like paying $250 because I found a US supplier who could ship me a new one for US$200 plus taxes/freight. Too much trouble though if they supply the wrong one though.

I'm going to get a new O ring now I know they are available from nissan.

Apart from a bit of oil in the dizzy on the graduated disk that the crank position sensor reads off I can't see what would cause permanent damage to the dizzy. I can see how the sensor's reading would be obscured with oil on it. Although I'm not sure why it only happens after driving for some time.

Any ideas? If I strip down the dizzy and clean it thoroughly will it be serviceable?

Cheers