Author Topic: Window Tinting  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Abaddon

• antrx.com full member
Window Tinting
« on: Feb 1, 2007, 11:30AM »
Does anyone know how to remove a window tint?  Is there any particular chemical / Process used?  The tint on my rear window is stuffed and now I can hardly make out cars through it, let alone pick a cop cruiser sliding up behind me.  :o
"Like a Fish???"

Offline greenbird

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Window Tinting
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1, 2007, 01:21PM »
Have never had to do it myself, but if you start with a knife blade, cut and peel back a corner until you have enough to hang on to and then gently peel the tint off. Ant residue should be able to be cleaned off with Metho.
As it is your rear window, be VERY careful around the demister lines that are stuck to the glass. If you damage these, your rear demister may not work properly (or at all, depending on which line you break) any more.
Dan.
93 U13 Bluebird
5 spd
Finer Filter, Hi-Flow cat & 2.25" exhaust
17X7 Concept 5 wheels
2 inch lowered King Springs

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 1, 2007, 06:12PM »
Spray a heap of window cleaner on the inside of the window, then smooth a plastic garbage bag up against it so it doesn't evaporate. Then leave your car in the sun for a few hours. This should soften up the glue that holds the tint on so you can peel it off easily.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Ka-Bluey

• antrx.com's
  • post whore
  • The MtData Guy
« Reply #3 on: Feb 1, 2007, 06:50PM »
Ahh i just peeled mine off my car. All except the rear window.

You can do that Jono or you can just feel it off.

This is how i did mine and found it very easy, plus it only cost me $15 to remove them.

What you will need is...
1. Rags and lots of them as the glue is very sticky
2. A very sharp scraper or knife to get at the edges.
3. Acetone ($12.75 from bunnings for 1L) this will get the glue off easiest.

Okay, now my tint came off in 2 parts, the plastic sheet and the stuff that sticks to the windows. You can get both parts in one go.

Pick at one edge untill you get a nice amount of tint to grab with your hands. No peel it off VERY slowly, now i say VERY slowly because this way most of the glue will stay on the tint and not on the window, so cleaning the window will be much easier and quicker.

Test this out on the quarter windows as they are smaller and easier to practice with.

Hope this helps. This is exactly the way i did mine.