Author Topic: other ecu's for a ca20e  (Read 2857 times)

Offline nissantrx

• antrx.com full member
  • R31 GTS 1 #101
    • My Home ( not yet up )
other ecu's for a ca20e
« on: Nov 14, 2003, 10:37PM »
I got to thinking the other day that the "EGI controll unit" the ca20e's run is a pile of shite, u can't tune jack on it and about its only feature is the ability to turn on and off the diagnostic mode which basically only tells u if something is shat completely to the point of being able to see with your own eyes that its shat, not slightly faulty, thats why there is such a big section in the manual on testing all the sensors....

Anyway i discovered that someone else was quite recently stupid enough to try and make a 2L twin spark, single cam, 8valve engine.... Alfa Romeo
I'm just wondering, how feasable would it be to use the ecu off of this?

NB: i am aware that i probably couldnt afford the computer anyways.... this is just a for discussion  8)
Stock GTS ;)

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
Re:other ecu's for a ca20e
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2003, 01:22PM »
Thats interesting. I've heard that our ca20e's are near imposs to tune.  So what will make better. A piggy back computer, a total aftermarket computer or a simple chip???? Ideas people.  I know prices will be a big influence.  But the more tuning spots u can get the more power you can get!!!
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline nissantrx

• antrx.com full member
  • R31 GTS 1 #101
    • My Home ( not yet up )
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2003, 10:12PM »
well if u read the writeups on the alfas (last yr i believe) that have these engines, ppl are throwing praise at the performance of them  :o
Stock GTS ;)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2003, 12:51PM »
ok, well piggy back you'd be looking at uni chip, smt6, greddy e-manage, probably something from haltech or microtech. all of these would range from around $600-800 and upwards

i was reading on a website about r31 skylines that if the plug of an ecu matches another ecu, then the ecu's are fully compatible with that car, if this was tested or not i dont know

full replacement aftermarket ecu's are not worth it in my opinion. people will argue with you either way until they're blue in the face, but a lot of fully aftermarket replacement ecu's just dont have the same ability as a stock ecu. for these kinds of things at the absolute cheapest you'd be looking at $1500 or so.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2003, 11:15PM »
Yeah, i got quoted $1000 for a uni chip and dyno tune.  You dont really need aftermarket computers if you dont have a car with a shiteload of mods and so on.

But I bet the ANTRX chips will be the best!!  ;D
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2003, 09:11AM »
They sure will Flogtara  ;D
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2003, 11:40AM »
Yeah, i got quoted $1000 for a uni chip and dyno tune.  

I would STRONGLY advise people didn't go and get a Unichip, if you want piggyback SMT6 is the only way to go. Plus, if there is a big demand for them, i will be able to tune them for a fee.
the only way i can compare the 2 units is the SMT6 is 1000 times better than a unichip; it just has so many more features it's not funny.