Author Topic: HELP!! Cant get plug leads right on pintara r31 ca20e  (Read 3744 times)

Offline WHITEPINT

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Hi guys hope someone can help.
I have a 86 Pintara wagon Auto CA20E as a daily was driving fantastic until the other day when it started spluttering and when I turned it off it wouldn't start again? I played around with a few things and then eventually it started when I pulled the fuel pump fuse out but started then obviously died. When I put the fuse back in it died again? I kept playing around until it eventually started however ran like shit rough as guts. Got it home and played around with the leads and coil making sure they where on properly. Checked all plugs(electrical and sprayed some wb40 into them. I tried starting it again and this time it started without pulling the fuse out? So drove it around and ran really rough still went though and got going just with not as much power also the idling held just rough. So I took to the forums and eventually changed my AFM didn't help still started well just rough. Changed ECU and ECS both and didn't help same started well just rough. So got a dizzy new cap and rotor changed them however I forgot to copy the leads and not sure if I am getting TDC. It wont start first couple of attempts backfired that hard it sounded like a warzone. Neighbours from a block away came to see what was going on? So obviously I was doing something wrong. I have read lots of ideas and know its firing order is 1342 - exhaust plugs are on passenger side and inlet on drivers. Ok to get TDC I pulled out exhaust plug 1 rotated it until i felt the air pass by my finger which indicates exhaust stroke ok kept rotating until I got the timing mark on the pulley DONE!..can I get a witness.. Ok I pulled the dizzy out again and reinserted it and adjusted the rotor to point to the first cylinder and adjusted it so it would strike the first lead/plug(I1) then followed what I have seen on forums and on the distributor  which is I1,E4,I2,E3,I4,E1,I3 and E2! Turn it over and it doesn't start ???? Any ideas and or pics please help. Thank you. P.S Also does anyone know which coil is exhaust and inlet the one on top or bottom and where on the distributor it goes? Thanks

Offline WHITEPINT

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: HELP!! Cant get plug leads right on pintara r31 ca20e
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:33PM »
All good worked it out runs like a dream again!! Although I popped my muffler from the backfiring.... :P
Anyway I have seen this same situation happen to a few people and its the dizzy for me! Cheers