Author Topic: Think its an Alternator  (Read 8358 times)

89tipintara

Think its an Alternator
« on: Aug 5, 2004, 09:26PM »
ok here is my prob. I have searched anh havent seen anything similar to this. when I started my car, it struggled a touch...but it started. I drove for about 10 mins and it started coughing and spitting and my lights went dull. I pulled over and played with my terminals and then clutch started it in reverse. I idled it for a while to see if the battery would charge and my lights came better. it would idle but i couldnt accelerate. it just coughed and coughed then it died, then it didnt start at all. So before I go buying an alternator do you think this is the prob or do you think it is my battery....cause it did charge up again.

I am worried about my timing as it looks as though my dizzy has moved positoned, so this puts the timing out a mile. this could have been like this for 2-3weeks....would this cause my alternator to bugger up? or even my dizzy? any help would be appreciated. cheers.

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
  • Speed Thrills - Stupidity Kills
Re: Think its an Alternator
« Reply #1 on: Aug 5, 2004, 09:47PM »
trouble starting, lights going dull, can mean stuffed alternator, battery or maybe a relay.
on the older cars i used to play with it did anyway.
Take it to the limit - take it to the track.
speed safe; club level motorsport.
Life is like a box of chocolates.

89tipintara

« Reply #2 on: Aug 5, 2004, 09:51PM »
yeah when i turn the key over the lights go off.....what does that mean?

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Aug 5, 2004, 09:59PM »
well, my dad had the same prob with a toyota crown he owned. turned out to be a f*cked relay.
the alt wasn't charging the battery due to the stuffed relay.
« Last Edit: Aug 5, 2004, 10:01PM by nissman »

89tipintara

« Reply #4 on: Aug 5, 2004, 10:07PM »
Ok might be a relay, but knowing cars it could be a thousand things hey. thanks neal. dont know what I am going to do, might mean a trip to a machanic. so wheres the relay? anyway of testing if it is buggered?

89tipintara

« Reply #5 on: Aug 5, 2004, 11:40PM »
my battery has been on a lean for a couple of weekes now...you think that may be the problem? somehow stuffed the battery?

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Aug 6, 2004, 12:09AM »
like you said, could be any of these really?? you need to get it to an auto elec, pretty easy for them to find prob.

89tipintara

« Reply #7 on: Aug 6, 2004, 12:02PM »
Anyone?? Kinda desperate here.

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #8 on: Aug 6, 2004, 12:45PM »
i had a bit of an issue with that too.... i'd be driving along and all of a sudden my lights would either go really dull or majorly bright(???) for no reason and she'd lose a bit of power in acceleration (mines auto by the way)........ racq kinda got pissed off every time my car died  ;) .......... turned out the battery was shmick but the alternator crapped itself, wasn't charging the battery properly.... so i went to the aotu elec and got my regulator repaired and my alternator replaced..... only cost $110 too..... so yeah, hope that helps.........
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #9 on: Aug 6, 2004, 01:18PM »
Sounds very similar to the probs i had with my car.  Mine used to be difficult to start, would make strange noises and my battery was slowly being killed.  At horrible places such as intersections my car would almost die at low revs.
Any ways took it to an auto electrician and turns out it was the relays. 
That is my guess, but like others have said, it could be any number of things.

89tipintara

« Reply #10 on: Aug 6, 2004, 02:15PM »
ok cheers for that. do you think having the battery on a lean and the timing being out would have anything to do with it?

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Aug 6, 2004, 02:33PM »
shouldn't do..... well i wouldn't think so....... the only thing that would affect is fluid levels........
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

89tipintara

« Reply #12 on: Aug 6, 2004, 02:39PM »
mmmmm the strange thing is when my batteries went dead, I jump started the car and my lights came bright again etc. so I had more battery power...so to me that means the alternator is charging....so i kept it idling and managed to drive around the block and it coughed and splattered again and it was dead...then the same thing...jump started...recharged the battery slightly but i couldnt accelerate the revs wouldnt go up.....

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Aug 6, 2004, 05:27PM »
yeh when evenflow's alternator went he couldnt rev past 2000rpm. his car died and he couldnt get it started again. what you need to do is get a multimeter onto the alternator, it should be pumping out something like a solid 13volts when its idling.

mr trx had this funky jump start kit when evenflow's alternator went on him. battery powered jump starter. the car would run with the jump starter attached, as soon as you disconnected it the car would sputter and die.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

89tipintara

« Reply #14 on: Aug 6, 2004, 05:30PM »
thanks noss. when I was out walking before i amde a decision to buy a multimeter and check the voltage, saves buying a battery and it being the alternator..and the visa-versa.

My dad has one of those funky jump start things.....neat hey, especially for travelling.....

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #15 on: Aug 6, 2004, 06:17PM »
13 volts is dodgey you want at least 14.4 mines @ 19 and my brothers 19.somthing
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

89tipintara

« Reply #16 on: Aug 6, 2004, 07:19PM »
ok man cheers, I will shoot for figures around 14.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #17 on: Aug 6, 2004, 10:22PM »
Hope the miltimeter solves your problems.  If it is the altinator and you need another one, i got one that you can have for cheep... save you some $$$  ;)  but lets hope its something simple and inexpensive!

89tipintara

« Reply #18 on: Aug 7, 2004, 07:10PM »
multimeter read 11.65 volts with the car turned off, it read 11.4 with the car on.....looks like an alternator. Hellman i am very interested. PMĀ  and let me know.

I attempted to take off the alternator. Got the belt off and the bolts that stop it pivoting....all it does now is move forwards and back...there is a matel bracket that it pivots on that is attached to the head...does that whole thing have to come off, or does the alternator somehow come of what it is pivoting on?
« Last Edit: Aug 7, 2004, 07:30PM by Sharms »

iren

« Reply #19 on: Aug 7, 2004, 10:09PM »
somehow it sounds like the voltage regulator dying on you.. so far, I've went through 3 alternators, 1st 2 got regulator problem, last 1 got the bearing siezed (making engine hard to start, and gives out some whine noise, and then smoke...)

89tipintara

« Reply #20 on: Aug 8, 2004, 06:51PM »
Ok i have solved the probs. I went to ABC wreckers in Loganlea and bought an alternator for $50, came off a superhatch. the whole outside is corroded so I was sceptical at first but i fitted it and luckily it works. Mutlimeter read 13.4v when the car is on and 12v when its off. Now I know it seems low but my auto elecy said that will be normal for an alternator that hasnt been turned over for some time. When the brushes or someshit wear back a touch apparently it will push out a few more volts...mmmm see what happens.  but I am happy with $50 bucks  ;)

Offline Xnissman

• qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Aug 8, 2004, 10:49PM »
well done, good price to fix the problem. :)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #22 on: Aug 9, 2004, 01:50PM »
yeh if you have extractors your voltage regulator will burn out from the heat. if you have extractors its a very good idea that you make up a heat shield for your alternator.. this is one of my latest items on my to do list, i just have to find a suitable street sign to pilfer :P

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • post whore
« Reply #23 on: Aug 9, 2004, 01:53PM »
i just have to find a suitable street sign to pilfer :P

you know, your local council wont be happy about that......  ;)
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
Hammer Time.

89tipintara

« Reply #24 on: Aug 9, 2004, 01:54PM »
haha thanks for that, i had no idea that they would do that...but then again they are pretty close to the alternator...i now have a project for the weekend...

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #25 on: Aug 9, 2004, 02:14PM »
yeh if you have extractors your voltage regulator will burn out from the heat. if you have extractors its a very good idea that you make up a heat shield for your alternator.. this is one of my latest items on my to do list, i just have to find a suitable street sign to pilfer :P

thats exactly what is ahapening with mine at the moment ......but mine is also alternator realted aswell ......probably a combination of both of them ...
this is what my auto elec says anyway

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #26 on: Aug 9, 2004, 02:21PM »

you know, your local council wont be happy about that......  ;)

hehe yeh, but its not your council so its all good ;)  its either a street sign or chequer plate, i'm thinking street sign is cooler :P

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Aug 9, 2004, 07:04PM »
just don't use a stop sign, your engine wont start if you do ::)  :P

oh and dont use a one way sign either, your gearbox wont want to go into reverse, it will only go one way ::) ;D

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #28 on: Aug 9, 2004, 08:35PM »
yeh if you have extractors your voltage regulator will burn out from the heat. if you have extractors its a very good idea that you make up a heat shield for your alternator..

True noss?  Perhaps this is the cause of some of my electrical and what I am thinking to be alternator woes.  Thanks for the advice.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #29 on: Aug 10, 2004, 12:19AM »

"You agree, through your use of the ANTRX.COM forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, intentionally inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law."

i think someone should practice what they preach  :P so whos got tthe balls to give him a warning  ; ;D
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"