Author Topic: Losing Brake Fluid Reglarily is Bad...AND expensive  (Read 1162 times)

Offline FalconGuy

• antrx.com senior member
  • new kid on the block
Well...It all started around 6 weeks ago when the first time EVER I saw the brake light come on in my U12. So I pulled into a servo, looked at the resevoir (which was just on 'Min'), bought some brake fluid, filled it up, and thought nothing more of it. :-[

Then about two weeks later, on it came again, so I filled the thing up again (strange, I thought) but left it at that. Then it started happening every 5 days or so, fill it up and then on comes light again until I had went through 500Ml of fluid... :'(

Then the other day I went to Coolangatta (thankfully in Dad's Sprint) and left the Pintara at home with a recently filled resevoir (another bottle of fluid was purchased), I went to get into the car Friday arvo, and the brake light was on again 'Hey Wait! I just filled that' so I got out to check the resevoir and noticed a huge pool of fluid all over the concrete and the resevoir was empty again, within 24 hours!

SO the short of it is I went to NRMA and they took it in this morning, thinking it probably was a line. Just got off the phone with them then, it seems that it was all leaking out the rear of the Master Cylinder and i was pretty lucky to have ANY brakes (Yes, I was driving it over the weeked). They rang around to try and find another master cylinder, but NO-ONE had an non-OEM one, and the cheapest quote they got was $890! So instead they got a 'Seal Kit' and rebuilt the Master Cylinder as well as put on and repack a new CV joint as the boot was badly torn.

All up this little excursion cost me around $350 (inc CV boot etc), which may be expensive, buit before you all flame me, please remember I am in the middle of no-where and there isn't really much competition for spare parts or workshops and I know that the guys down here do a bloody good job.

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
Re: Losing Brake Fluid Reglarily is Bad...AND expensive
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7, 2005, 04:04PM »
yeah i've had that happen before. like you i just got the master cylinder repair kit and its been about 6 or 7 months and its only just moved about .5cm below the max line.  its a bitch huh? but hey, at least the metal just uner it will never rust eh? lol :P
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.