Author Topic: ka24de head work  (Read 4286 times)

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
ka24de head work
« on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:36PM »
hey guys, usually a post whore in the u12 section, but i now have a ka24de which will be replacing my old ka24e, i bought the motor with intentions of stripping it before i used it intially, the wrecker sold me the engine cheap based on its smokey running, so it will be here wednesday ready to be stripped, ill re ring it and hone it in hope and check the bottom end but i have a feeling it could be a sticky steam seal or so forth, my question is if i am going to take the head to get recoed what are some other things i should get done to get this motor to run abit better, port and polish is on my mind, also cam re grind, hence why i am here! can anyone help me out her on what i should and should not do (i intend on turbo charging the engine later down the track) so im not after alot of compression, initially i was thinking NA crazy, running the ka24e pistons as they run a higher comp but because i thought i might charge it later down the track i ditched that idea... anyway greatly appreciate any help

cheers

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
Re: ka24de head work
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2009, 05:46PM »
hey guys, usually a post whore in the u12 section,
my question is if i am going to take the head to get reconed what are some other things i should get done to get this motor to run abit better, port and polish is on my mind, also cam re grind, hence why i am here!
 can anyone help me out her on what i should and should not do (i intend on turbo charging the engine later down the track) so im not after alot of compression, initially i was thinking NA crazy, running the ka24e pistons as they run a higher comp but because i thought i might charge it later down the track i ditched that idea... anyway greatly appreciate any help

cheers
head work to make it flow more efficiently, should be done to all KA that are after power.
Rebuild it with stronger internals to handle the boost

ka24e has a higher compression . never knew
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:54PM »
forged up is abit out of my price range, im not keen on spending 1000 bucks on h beam rods and forged pistons! its an idea but a pricey one! sr20det run fin turbo'd under 20psi so will a KA handle that sort of boost?

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:46PM »
wealth of info, its an american site. just read it tells you pretty much all you would need to know
http://www.ka-t.org/
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:22PM »
What he means is, KA-E pistons mated with a DE head gives compression of about 11.5:1 or something.

In terms of what you want to do, there is PLENTY of kits out there, cams, valves, springs, retainers, there is heaps! google it up champ.

By the sound of it, you don't even want to spend money on a decent set of cams, so I wouldn't bother.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2009, 06:38PM »
its not that i dont want to spend the money, its that i dont have the money to spend, im currently building my pintara and it is very costly! i expect the car to sit in primer for sometime until i can come up with the funds to buy paint! LOL im only on basic wages as im a apprentice... so i dont have a wod of 20s

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2009, 08:48PM »
cant stand yankee sites, cant understand them... ok ive completely changed my mind! i was going to get my head ported and polished but its going to cost me a fortune! ill take abit off the flywheel instead and get a set of cams.... anyone know where i might some in australia?

cheers

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2009, 09:17AM »
Noss got a reasonable profile for them a while back, offered them but dont think anyone has bought any.  If you can contact him or one of the shop assistants you should beable to get some.  ;)  nobody will sell them off the shelf in aus i suspect.

getting the head polished might cost alot but does make a difference.  Thing is, unless you do it while you are building the engine, you will probably never do it.
I'd like some cams too.

Offline Matt_sssman

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2009, 02:43AM »
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site but I some experience with the KA24DE engine, I currently have a turbocharged 96 Bluebird SSS, at the moment its only running 8 psi on stock internals and making 190 KW at the wheels! I've been buying parts over the past year to rebuild my engine!
A good start would be to get a metal or copper head gasket and ARP Head and Main studs!

This might help!

http://www.supernissans.net/forums/1993-2001-1st-2nd-gen-nissan-altima-faq/737-aftermarket-parts-suggestions.html

I've bought most of my parts from Ebay US as you can't get much here in Australia for the KA24DE engine, if you look around there's a few ebay shops offering some good prices! I'll be getting some Wiseco Pistons 0.20 (89.5mm) overbore and 9:0:1 compression soon for $700 AUs.
Our stock compression is 9:5:1!   

Also ka-t.org is a good site it's been a big help to me! There's a couple of dudes on there with turbo Altima's making 400+ HP and 11 sec quarter miles!

Offline 91TR.X

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2009, 10:58AM »
im buying my parts from the US aswell, ive gone to all the leading parts outlets and they either cant get them or they want far too much, for example burson's wanted $300 for a full engine gasket set, i got one from the states for $130 AU posted... im yet to find a cheap new dizzy though on US ebay

Offline Matt_sssman

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2009, 01:59PM »
Yeah unfortunately with the Aus dollar so low its now bloody expensive to buy from the US! I was lucky I got a lot of my stuff before it went down.
This is the ebay shop where I got most of my stuff and I had no trouble, it all arrived quickly and in good condition!

http://search.stores.ebay.com/Erics-Performance-Parts_ka24de-altima_W0QQfciZ15QQfclZ4QQfsnZEricQ27sQ20PerformanceQ20PartsQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ76590873QQsofpZ0

I recently got my King engine bearings from here!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/King-Engine-Bearings-Kit-Rod-Main-Nissan-240SX-KA24DE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ130294441882QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Hope this helps! Let us know how u go!