Author Topic: 20 questions  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Byas

• antrx.com senior member
20 questions
« on: Jul 27, 2007, 02:39AM »
i know that for alot of you, answering these questions has become relentless and tiring. so either make your answer helpful or don't make it... im posting this here as an anti flame thread... but any help would be greatly taken.

+karma for productive input...

so anyway my 20 Q's

tax return time is a great time when i can claim all my car expenses for last year so time to treat my car in return... its a 92 Pintara GLi all stocko for the time being...

1. ive decided against a pod, to obvious and to well enforced in my area to want one, also i dont like the idea of having it suck everything into my engine so is it worthwhile forking out the 100$+ for a k&n panel filter?
2. the snorkel in front of the air box is obviously restricing airflow. ive scoped out how to remove that but is it safe to have the hole left as is?
3. cont. what would be suggested piping from the air box to under the front bar for better intake? (i'd prefer not using pvc)
4. asuming this work is done, does anyone have any idea whether stage 2 chip would start bringing any obvious gains from these intake mod?
and i feel retarded for even asking this but ive had a few people suggest checking
5. is it safe to be using PULP? someone mentioned the possibility of burning the injectors? thought it might be an idea to check... i do remember talk about ethenol so i'd prefer to be flamed than do damage i can avoid.

i'll save the other 15 for later :P

ive got some ideas as to what i want to do but no one to really check with to find out whats possible and what it all does.
prices would be a great help, suppliers even better, links to other threads with detailed explanations with reference to suppliers and costs i'll.... i dunno.... like alot?

thanks for your patience. - Rob
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Re: 20 questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2007, 09:17AM »
. ive decided against a pod, to obvious and to well enforced in my area to want one, also i dont like the idea of having it suck everything into my engine so is it worthwhile forking out the 100$+ for a k&n panel filter?

Yes

the snorkel in front of the air box is obviously restricing airflow. ive scoped out how to remove that but is it safe to have the hole left as is?

Yes

cont. what would be suggested piping from the air box to under the front bar for better intake? (i'd prefer not using pvc)

Since you need something flexible and you have no other choice, go to bunnings and buy some 90mm aluminium air con/vent ducting, it's really light and just becareful not to puncture it.

asuming this work is done, does anyone have any idea whether stage 2 chip would start bringing any obvious gains from these intake mod?

Yes, you will see a gain regardless.

is it safe to be using PULP? someone mentioned the possibility of burning the injectors? thought it might be an idea to check... i do remember talk about ethenol so i'd prefer to be flamed than do damage i can avoid.

Yes it's safe....
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:43AM »
I agree with chris except...
cont. what would be suggested piping from the air box to under the front bar for better intake? (i'd prefer not using pvc)
I'd personally use the plastic flex tube you can get from supercheap/autobarn... its more expensive ($25) for a metre, but is stronger, and comes in black/blue/red to be as stealth or out there as you like.  You wont have to worry about puncturing it.  ;)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2007, 10:51AM »
haha

i thought about that shit we sell at work, aluminium will do a better job with heat dissipation though
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2007, 11:25AM »
That plastic ducting is ribbed... ie rubbish for good airflow. I wouldnt recommend it.

K&N panel filters work almost the same as stock ones. Autospeed did a test on it.

If you are going to build a cold air intake, do it right. Plenty of articles on here. Main points, keep the bends to a minimum, no changes in diameter, no convoluted routing paths. Also keep the total filtered air volume about 2? times engine capacity. I dont have any of my books infront of me so i dont remember the exact number... but just make sure there is enough filtered air to let the engine breathe comfortably.

Im sick... and my back hurts... ill leave it at that for now...  :P

The Nissubishda will live....

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2007, 12:29PM »
That plastic ducting is ribbed... ie rubbish for good airflow. I wouldnt recommend it

on the inside its not so bad, the ribs are flattened.  plus its before the filter so smooth flow isnt as important in the 4" tube.

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2007, 07:13PM »

Since you need something flexible and you have no other choice, go to bunnings and buy some 90mm aluminium air con/vent ducting, it's really light and just becareful not to puncture it.

Don't worry about it getting punctured. At work we sell it to a few entry level V8 teams, i.e the teams in the V8 giants championship.
    It is fairly strong and takes a bit to puncture. I will be using something similar on my car. I will be using something a little more rigid that our sheetmetal dude will make for me.

Offline Byas

« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2007, 04:04AM »
im just gonna post a quick reply...thanks so much for replying. its a real help... thanks chris especially for getting back quickly and simply... the big long answers giving pro's and cons are getting frustrating at the moment a simple yes or no works great...

6. scoping out removing the snorkel and extending piping down behind the front bar... worth the effort? heard other people discuss this but can't find relevant links.
and
7. wtf is a Cold air intake.... im asuming its basically the above idea?
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2007, 11:07AM »
lol

yes take out the stock snorkel and replace it with your own piping and a cold air intake is basically an intake design where it is allowing the engine to be able to breathe in cold air from another path, ie foglight holes, etc.

Offline Byas

« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:51PM »
sweet! cheers man... im hoping this time i can get these mods done... every time i try to do something to either car latley something goes wrong...
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline Byas

« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2007, 04:09PM »
panel filter is in and snorkel off and woowey... it sounds awesome... goes a bit better also...

catch... it feels like its lost a bit of power down low... is that a common issue and is there a way to solve that.

also....

airbox has lost 2 clips... im probably looking at just going to a wreckers to get one... someone mentioned something about a pulsar air box being similar, would this work as a replacement if i cant find a pintara wreck? (its rural nsw so we have to make do sometimes)

oh i guess that makes 8 and 9 :P
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #11 on: Jul 30, 2007, 04:24PM »
I guess before you go any further, you may want to have some sort of measurement of performance to at least know that you are heading in the right direction. You can measure 0 - 100 performance, intake temperature, intake pressure (PSI) using a bottle of colored water (and a rubber tubing as described in Autospeed). Have a read on that website, you'll have more ideas on what you can do to achieve a good CAI.  :)

Offline Byas

« Reply #12 on: Aug 8, 2007, 04:38PM »
best ignore this thread till i gerave dig it again in a few months time now.... regos coming up and that will now take care of my moneys for some time now... sorry but thanks for the help
Nissan Pintara Gli
Ford Laser WRC