Author Topic: Sub+Amp stopped working today  (Read 2897 times)

Offline parton96

• antrx.com junior member
Sub+Amp stopped working today
« on: Sep 30, 2007, 01:46AM »
ok, so i was driving home from school yesterday and my bass is pounding away and then it starts to get quiet for a couple seconds then just stops all together. i know i didnt blow my voice coil because im still getting a impedance reading off the subwoofer. my amp turns on and i have all my connections to it. what i was wondering was will the amp turn on but not output anything if my battery/ground isnt the greatest? i measured my voltage and surprisingly only got 11.91v when i should have around 13 or maybe more. i am going to check my ground later on after work and if that doesnt do a thing, i might need larger gauge wire. when i connected from my power wire direct to the body i got somewhere around 14.3 v because my car was running. does this sound like a ground problem or what?? i jsut bought this shit to like 3 weeks ago and spent a fortune so im hoping i get this figured out soon. to anyone looking for something to get, buy a rockford fosgate p325.1 amp, and a 15' fosgate subwoofer. POUNDS when it works that is. so if anyone knows the required voltage for the amp to work properly that would be great if i cud find out so i can solve this b.s.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
Re: Sub+Amp stopped working today
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2007, 06:33PM »
See that thing on your keyboard, above your right shift key... its called an 'enter' key.

It makes something called a 'new line' :P
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 2, 2007, 11:58PM »
Most amps are ok with anything above 10-11v. 11.9v is more than enough for them to run. 11.9v is normal with your car switched off.

Check your ground, you NEED a good ground. If there's more than 50milli volts (mV) between the ground terminal of your amp and the body of your car you need to do something to fix it, check the terminals on the wire first, make sure they're crimped or screwed on properly.

Other than that, check your RCA connections, try running a new set of RCAs to the amp temporarily to see if it's a problem with the RCAs.

What resistance is there across the voice coil of your sub?

If you push the cone of the sub in gently does it make a crunching noise?

Make sure the speaker wire to the sub isn't shorting out, check for loose strands especially.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline bigbazza6969

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2007, 03:47PM »
why would we want to buy some no name amp and sub that stops after 3 weeks lol :P
1990 Ford Corsair GL UA Manual. 2..6'' pioneers in the front,2..6'' Pioneers in the rear.Pioneer Head Deck with ipod connection..12'' Kenwood Sub in the boot in kustom made ported box.Extractors Fitted,Tacho and shifting light mounted,Boss kit and F1 racing wheel fitted,1200W 2-CH amp running kenwood sub,4-Ch 700W Running 4 speakers..Things to come- Vinyl respray(Red & Black..very soon:D),mid range speakers,custom roof lining..Very soon too :D,Mags(One Day lol),Clear head and tinted tail lights,TRX wing and body kit.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2007, 04:40PM »
why would we want to buy some no name amp and sub that stops after 3 weeks lol :P
i was quite sure rockford fosgate wasnt a "no-name" brand, and obviously not all of them stop after 3 weeks.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2007, 07:01PM »

What brand are your amps?

Of course no-one wants to buy no-name gear, but often it's all their budget will stretch to.

And no, RF isn't a no-name brand.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2007, 12:17AM »
No one has mentioned it yet but is your sub dual voice coil? If it is you might have poped one coil. I did this to one of my old r type subs and would get a bit of noise at low volume but nothing once you raised it a bit.

That could be the issue.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:27AM »
sounds like you've thrown it around a corner and dropped a power cable, mine used to do it all the time, check both ends of your ground and your positive.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:48AM »
could of fried ur amp in the hot weather... my step bro got a mono block kicker amp that is supposed to be bullet proof and it over heated acouple of days ago in the heat but it had protection so when it cooled down it was fine!
"Noss is God"

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #9 on: Dec 1, 2007, 10:14AM »
this is going off topic but a good quality amp such as a kicker shouldn't over heat, where is it installed just out of interest?
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)